The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is UAD about to update the Apollo??
Old 26th August 2018
Here for the gear

Is UAD about to update the Apollo??

Hey all! I am looking to convert over to the UAD Apollo and was eying the 8P and then saw they just dropped a deep discount. I wasn't sure if that is indicative of a Q4 refresh, at which point I would hold off. Any thoughts / inside info? Thanks!
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Guru

Curious about whether the update would include a rethink of the Console workflow. Of which I'm not a fan.
Old 26th August 2018
Lives for gear

I really hope so... I've been running on my 10 channel Twin for a year now and I really need more channels! I've kept holding off thinking "Well, maybe this year they'll do it. Ok, maybe winter NAMM. Nope? Well...". The last time I remember them doing this deep of a discount, we got the black faced Apollos. So I've yet to hear any rumors, but I would say it's a good bet.
Old 26th August 2018
You mean the 20% off sale? They typically run a few promo's throughout the year. They just refreshed their Twin's and introduced their new portable, so I doubt those will change. Really was hoping they'd add an ADAT out on the Twin but its still cool.

Not sure on the racks. I am really hoping though they release a new Apollo 16 that is more inline with the Focusrite Red Line 16. Throw on ADAT IO, 2 Mic Pres, 2 Headphone Ports and I'd be stoked. I'm currently using an and a Twin MKll together but would be into selling the 8 to fund a 16. Just hate the lack of ports on there... Just throwing my wants out into the ethos haha.

I will say though I'm glad that UA isn't a company that introduces new hardware every season while creating a growing list of legacy products behind. Too many companies with that MO.
Old 26th August 2018
Lives for gear

I'm hoping they upgrade the USB converters in the Twin to the Thunderbolt/MKII specs. I would be in at that point.
Old 31st August 2018
Lives for gear

just received a newsletter from GS. Saying Universal Audio X coming soon.
Old 31st August 2018
Lives for gear
Yeh wtf is UAD X? Can’t find anything on it
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
No details of it have been released yet, so you're not missing anything. Nobody knows yet.
Old 1st September 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
The pic is a teaser. That’s it for now.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

I guess it is the v10 software, since we are already in 9.6. But it's probably not a new plugin, like normally the 0.1 updates are. So I bet it's at least a new version of the Console software. Maybe a global update in all plugins too.

But I really want to be a new hardware, and a better solution for the DSP problem.
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Addict

Really hope for a big soft update on console and plugins...
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Addict

v5.0 was UAD 2 so let's hope big things are around the corner
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
v5.0 was UAD 2 so let's hope big things are around the corner
Uh... makes sense that v10 is UAD 3.

That will be awesome, by the way.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Can we expect something in the next Fortnite?
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Guru

I mentioned this news to my landlord, who went to an Apollo 16 approximately two years ago. Long story short, he has hated the Console workflow from day one. I don't work on his rig as much as he does, but I'm right there with him. For tracking a live band and doing playbacks and fixes on the fly, I find it near to impossible to work with.

He kept his old Mac and 192's and PT10. Independent of this news from UAD, at this moment he's very much on the verge of ripping out the Apollo and sticking it on Craigslist. Any reason why he shouldn't?
Old 1st September 2018
Manufacturer

He can simply ignore Console and use the A16 as you would any interface (Apogee Symphony for example). Keep your buffer low and monitor through the DAW. Apollo’s are no different than any other native setup in this regard.

Of course you’ll have to deal with the latency and CPU issues that every native DAW does.
Old 1st September 2018
Yep, I basically have two different Console Workflows. 1 is just mute all the channels and use as a straight up interface, also turning off the plugin latency as well in console. Solid interface. Or, 2. Leave some of the channels unmuted if I'm tracking parts and want to hear the audio at 0 latency. Whether Im using plugins in the tracking chain or not (typically not as I enjoy my hardware, but love mixing with UAD plugs). Hardware is rock solid to me which is def a main reason to keep around. Im using Apollo 8 and Twin, both MK2, and the 16 is supposed to be a step up in terms of conversion. I'm planning on adding one soon-ish.

Drew, thanks for chiming in on this thread, I'm excited to hear about the new goods. If I may, please take a look at the Focusrite Red Line 16 ( I mean, I'm sure you have ). I'd love to see a single unit from you guys with that amount of I/O.

Cheers
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I mentioned this news to my landlord, who went to an Apollo 16 approximately two years ago. Long story short, he has hated the Console workflow from day one. I don't work on his rig as much as he does, but I'm right there with him. For tracking a live band and doing playbacks and fixes on the fly, I find it near to impossible to work with.

He kept his old Mac and 192's and PT10. Independent of this news from UAD, at this moment he's very much on the verge of ripping out the Apollo and sticking it on Craigslist. Any reason why he shouldn't?
I've been saying this for years. The Console workflow sucks. All that's needed is to merge the DAW playback with the hardware inputs at the same direct monitor channel strip so that recording and playback are identical and controlled by one mixer. Interfaces use to do this 20 years ago. Some still do. There's no excuse for the convoluted mess that exists now. It's not just UA. It seems manufacturers don't understand typical live band tracking workflows at all.
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
He can simply ignore Console and use the A16 as you would any interface (Apogee Symphony for example). Keep your buffer low and monitor through the DAW. Apollo’s are no different than any other native setup in this regard.

Of course you’ll have to deal with the latency and CPU issues that every native DAW does.
This is nothing any real engineer hasn't tried and doesn't know. it's not a workaround. Not a fix. Not helpful.

BUT! It does answer the question of whether the Console paradigm is headed for the bin, and that answer is NO.

Appreciate the info, thanks.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

im hoping uad x isn't some kind of subscription based service..those suck :(

what I would like too see though is a extra input rack mount similar to the Apollo 8 but much cheaper because it doesn't come with any plugins so its much cheaper.

I use a apollo twin and I love it but ive now needed more inputs but the price of the Apollo 8 is putting me off and wish theyd do a cheaper version for users who already have lots of uad plugins and the bundled content.

im sure a lot of uad users feel the same it seems like your wasting abit of money getting the same old plugins free with each product and its pretty useless getting the same stuff because you already own them but if they offered registered uad users the same products at a cheaper loyality price im sure theyd sell more units because they look more attractive.

itd also be nice if uad did more usb 3 products my Apollo is the usb 3 version and its rock solid but its a shame theres not more products using that tech.

have uad mentioned when there announcing more on uad x?
Old 1st September 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

I think its high time for a single unit with 32 channels of I/O, and no less than the equivalent of 16 SHARCs, but with some updated and more efficient version of the DSP.
Oh yea..... and PCIE for those who have no desire for a Trash Can.
I know I know...... ‘keep dreaming’

Last edited by JGM; 2nd September 2018 at 02:36 PM..
Old 2nd September 2018
Quote:
TBH, I do agree with this issue. If I worked on audio daily I would prob find it more annoying. I think a toggle that would let you completely bypass the console and turn off the plugin delay compensation. It is a bit weird to have to alter these settings when you want to change your workflow. I'd think this would be a possible update and firmware update.
Old 2nd September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
If I worked on audio daily I would prob find it more annoying.
Yeah, you just might :-).
Old 2nd September 2018
i'd be happy with 5.1 monitoring capabilities. until then, i'm still using my aging MHLabs ULN-8.
Old 3rd September 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Maybe the “X” is part HDX.
Perhaps an Apollo HD, with full Pro Tools HD compatibility to finally have access to all of the I/Os for those multiple Apollos set-ups.
Old 3rd September 2018
Quote:
Yeah, you just might :-).
Quote:
TBH, I do agree with this issue. If I worked on audio daily I would prob find it more annoying. I think a toggle that would let you completely bypass the console and turn off the plugin delay compensation. It is a bit weird to have to alter these settings when you want to change your workflow. I'd think this would be a possible update and firmware update.
so with out starting a big rift here..i just dont understand why this is such a big deal to you and others.. i do use the apollo and protools all the time.. I only use the apollo mixer for plugin inserts on the way in .. thats it.. headphone mixes are from PT ..latency is low with the lowest buffer at 96k..full band punches or what ever i want to do.. its easy...no issues over here
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
... headphone mixes are from PT...
If I'm tracking a live rhythm section plus a vocal, that's around a dozen tracks on record ready/input. With an Apollo, none of the monitoring and cue can come from PT, it all has to come from Console. Are you doing it -- with no latency -- differently?
Old 3rd September 2018
Quote:
the 6X is my way to go I really love the new Thunderbolt 3 with a 6 Core DSP included !! I won't reveal more details !
Old 4th September 2018
Quote:
If I'm tracking a live rhythm section plus a vocal, that's around a dozen tracks on record ready/input. With an Apollo, none of the monitoring and cue can come from PT, it all has to come from Console. Are you doing it -- with no latency -- differently?
no latency = best
low latency = just fine for most people

with that said..i prefer best,yes.. but,what i have is just fine..and at 64 HW buffer.. I have never had anyone complain

in the beginning i struggled with this ..until i realised that my workflow was more important to me ..and i am a drummer ..and 64 HWB does not bother me at all

but i digress ..you are 100% right to want 0 latency..i just cant achieve it with out the other issues

Old 4th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
..you are 100% right to want 0 latency..i just cant achieve it with out the other issues...
Not that PT TDM is zero latency, it's not, but it's the bar for acceptable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search