The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Serious question about how to manage my storage with external hard drives.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Serious question about how to manage my storage with external hard drives.

So here's the deal...

I've had my macbook pro laptop since 2012. I've been putting off the inevitable process of having to put a lot of my data on external hard drives. The main reason is I find it a pain to always have something external attached. I know that may sound stupid to most people. I've thought about velcroing it onto the back of the screen when I'm using it. Seems like the best solution so far.

But I have 68 gigs left of space, and I know it's gonna go very quick. I've been getting more into tracking and producing this past year. Also, will be getting a new computer in the next 6 months, so want to be ahead of the curve.
------------------
So here's where I'm at with everything:

- I don't use any externals for sessions, pictures, videos, etc. Everything is stored on my laptop itself.

- I time machine it onto an external hard drive once or twice a week

-I just bought a new external, because I know I have to start transferring files and data to it, so my computer can run more efficiently.
-------------------
So my simple question is, what would be the most simplest way to manage everything? Ideally the less external hard drives the better. I would imagine I will have to backup this other new external HD separately as well. Trying to avoid cloud services if I can for now.

And my follow up question is, what's everyones process for managing pictures, videos, DAW sessions, etc?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog30 View Post
So my simple question is, what would be the most simplest way to manage everything? Ideally the less external hard drives the better. I would imagine I will have to backup this other new external HD separately as well. Trying to avoid cloud services if I can for now.

And my follow up question is, what's everyones process for managing pictures, videos, DAW sessions, etc?
What leaps to mind is ensuring that you're taking full advantage of the Data Doubler option in your 2012-or-older MacBook Pro. You can replace the optical drive with a 2.5-inch HDD or SSD in whatever capacity matches your size/comfort/cost preferences.

After that, an external USB tower may be the best low-cost way to have significant external storage. I have two 4-bay USB 3.0 towers made by Orico. They take 3.5-inch HDD's and are pretty well behaved.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search