The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making the thunderbolt 3 jump, interface advice Audio Interfaces
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Making the thunderbolt 3 jump, interface advice

Hi Everyone!

I had a couple quick questions and some user input regarding getting a new interface. I almost have it set on one and wanted to see how everyone felt before diving in headfirst haha.

I have a PC system and am making the jump to thunderbolt 3( gigabyte gaming 7 board) from my focusrite usb 2.0 interface. I've been doing some research back and forth and figured I'd try here for some unbiased info before making the jump ( 500-900 give or take lol ).

Essentially I'm recording on a windows 10 system and ultimately using for now ableton live, fl studio, occasional pro tools , mostly software based instruments, ability to use higher khz samplerate, a lower turnaround RTL and being able to play sounds at near 0 latency if possible. Maybe the occasional guitar recording here and there , but being a primary piano player most of it midi in to interface out.

I think I've narrowed it down to the UA Arrow with the dedicated thunderbolt 3 port so far, and thinking down the road adding a dsp accelerator card via thunderbolt or pcie to handle more plugins for full mixes, because I figured the single sharc processor could be ok for the unisen recording of a guitar at a time if I end up getting a player in to do that with the amp modeler and bounce the effect track from there.

Just curious if being my primary stuff midi live recording and the occasional live if there was something more suited for that on thunderbolt like motu or apogee or clarett?

what's everyone's thoughts about that? I figure for new interface I have a budget hover max 800-900( The arrow was appealing at 499 though with thunderbolt ) for now and the ability to always upgrade and expand in the future?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quick update, I started doing some more research and totally neglected to see the presonous quantum 2 interface ! Checking it out some more it looks for what I'm trying to do be the best straight forward all around low latency interface upgrade. Worst case , they give you a return window haha
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quantum user here, Win10. Use Startech TB3/TB2 adaptor... no issues, no problems. The hardest part is simply getting my Asus EX3 TB card up and working correctly, no fault of the audio interface. Works great once set up. Can easily recommend the Quantum if you don't need internal DSP.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quantum user here, Win10. Use Startech TB3/TB2 adaptor... no issues, no problems. The hardest part is simply getting my Asus EX3 TB card up and working correctly, no fault of the audio interface. Works great once set up. Can easily recommend the Quantum if you don't need internal DSP.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
Oh nice ! Thanks for the info! I actually ordered a Quantum 2 from Sweetwater should be here today I originally tried getting it through Guitar Center they told me it's backordered till next month LOL. I was having issues getting my Asus card up and running but then again I had an MSI board and even though it had the Thunderbolt header I couldn't get the system to recognize it, so what I did was I found a really good deal on a gigabyte gaming 7 with the built-in Thunderbolt 3 port and Windows recognized it after the firmware updates so I really hope the install should be very smooth I also have the Thunderbolt 2 and 3 adapter coming today too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search