The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
audient id22 vs id44 dac? Audio Interfaces
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Nut

audient id22 vs id44 dac?

Anybody compared?
Old 18th August 2018
Here for the gear

Interested in this too!
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Nut

Same question, anyone?
Old 8th October 2018
Here for the gear

I own both.

The specs would tell you that the ID44 is better. I have both and I will share my preference. But first, Audient recently put together a video comparing the sound of all their products. Maybe you can get a feel for what you like. YouTube

Personally, I like the sound of the converters in my ID22 more than my ID44. I was worried that would be the case when I made the purchase. But both are great products. Also might be something to do with 2 headphone jacks vs 1, but the headphone jack sounds better on the ID22 to me as well. Watch the youtube video and let me know what you think.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrillmelville View Post
The specs would tell you that the ID44 is better. I have both and I will share my preference. But first, Audient recently put together a video comparing the sound of all their products. Maybe you can get a feel for what you like. YouTube

Personally, I like the sound of the converters in my ID22 more than my ID44. I was worried that would be the case when I made the purchase. But both are great products. Also might be something to do with 2 headphone jacks vs 1, but the headphone jack sounds better on the ID22 to me as well. Watch the youtube video and let me know what you think.
What do u like better? Is the 22 clearer, wider stereo field? Interested to know as I was going to upgrade my son's id22 to the id44. But If the converters are not as good I'll just hold off. I thought the id44 was going to have better conversion since its newer and uses 2 different chips.
Old 10th October 2018
Having a 4,5 year old id22 that died today, I'd also like to know why you like the conversion of id22 more. Is it clearer? Can you mix better? Or is it just more enjoyable to listen to?
Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear

seriously the conversion between these units are as close to the same as if you take to strands of hair from your head. Theres a difference, but come on its your hair...

What matters are the features - amount of input/output, monitor control, latence drivers stuff (which is the same so...) and design/dimensions.

moving on.
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Nut

Despite having better listed specs, the iD44 didn't score quite as well as the iD22 did on this test. Several iD22s have been tested and they all scored about the same, which is much better than you'd expect them to based on their specs. Unfortunately I can't tell if that's anything I can actually hear based on the Youtube video Audient posted, because it switches from the iD22 to the iD44 exactly were the guitar part changes. It's probably safe to say that it's not a significant difference anyway.
Old 10th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
Despite having better listed specs, the iD44 didn't score quite as well as the iD22 did on this test. Several iD22s have been tested and they all scored about the same, which is much better than you'd expect them to based on their specs. Unfortunately I can't tell if that's anything I can actually hear based on the Youtube video Audient posted, because it switches from the iD22 to the iD44 exactly were the guitar part changes. It's probably safe to say that it's not a significant difference anyway.

That's all very nice to know, but I wonder what Terrillmelville heard in his room, since he's got the two units.
Old 15th October 2018
Gear Head

Anyone with gear super high end enough to hear a difference wouldn’t be using an iD interface.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixpan View Post
Having a 4,5 year old id22 that died today, I'd also like to know why you like the conversion of id22 more. Is it clearer? Can you mix better? Or is it just more enjoyable to listen to?
How did it die? Mine is showing metering and everything but all outputs are silent.
I've read something about very hot OP-Amps inside, and temperature induced failure of the solderjoints to the board.

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueberschall View Post
How did it die? Mine is showing metering and everything but all outputs are silent.
I've read something about very hot OP-Amps inside, and temperature induced failure of the solderjoints to the board.

Thanks
Hello! I don't really know how or why it died tbh. All I know is that only 20% of volume was there and the preamps were not working anymore. After installing, reinstalling and re-reinstalling every driver available in my system and after confirming the problems on a second pc I ruled out software problems. What you say seems consistent with the symptoms I had, but if I don't check it with a technician (where the audient is right now), I can't really tell you what the problem is.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
The one thing that puts me off the iD44 is that the top surface is not angled towards the user, unlike the iD22. This may seem trivial but I believe that it makes a big difference ergonomically.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueberschall View Post

Thanks
Update: It was a cpu of the id22 after all. Got it fixed. And by the way, Audient's customer support just stopped answering my questions after a while. They just chose to ignore me!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AevumWinter View Post
Anyone with gear super high end enough to hear a difference wouldn’t be using an iD interface.
Would I hear it with Neumann 310s?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixpan View Post
Would I hear it with Neumann 310s?
Not sure if you will hear the difference, but I can pick out which is which in a blind test 100% of the time listening to AKG 701s through an Apogee Groove. Listening to regular consumer PC speakers I seem to get the correct answer about 80-90% of the time.

That said, I can barely tell the difference consciously. It's almost that they feel different because the longer I think about it, the more likely I am to get the wrong answer on PC speakers. The iD44 seems just slightly duller in the high end, but feels slightly more dynamic and alive overall.

I used the files from this thread. Not sure how listening to a genre of music I'm more accustomed to would effect it. Those loop back clips used a classical piece.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search