The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonarworks--things to consider before buying? Studio Monitors
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Sonarworks--things to consider before buying?

Hi all! I hope I am posting in the right place...

I just upgraded my near field monitors from the Mackie HR824 Mk1 to the Genelec 8050B and am very happy with the upgrade...BUT it has become even more clear that although I now have new speakers with, in my opinion, a more defined low end, my monitoring situation has not dramatically improved. Even with room treatment I am still struggling to get my mixes to translate, specifically on the low end.

I have read up on Sonarworks and know that on this forum it is probably a 50\50 split between those convinced it works great and those who do not feel it has benefited their mixes.

To both parties I ask you: Is there anything you wish you would have known before your purchase? Is there anything I should be considering? Any tips or suggestions before I buy? I am still running a stable system with Mac 10.7.5 (Lion) so I would be running Sonarworks version 3 which many folks on here have said is better than 4. I know about 4 having improved Asio for tracking purposes...but for now my main need is mixing improvement.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for any advice.

Philipp
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Anyone using it and saying it doesn't benefit their monitoring setup hasn't set it up properly. Simple as that.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I'd say version 4 is better than 3, i've demoed both extensively.
It works good, if there's not very much problems in room acoustics, definitely it flattens the speaker's freq response nicely.

But when you have very good (flat) monitors - you'll get less dramatic results, it was almost worthless when i tried to use SW on B&W 804, for example.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Sonar Works does the job - at a cost

My partner has a small round room with old Hafler TRM8 speakers. The round room is challenging for acoustics, especially in the bass. It already has a bunch of 4" panels and diffusers. Could not find the perfect position for the near fields. One speaker location was subject to a terrible null in a certain range. Solved that by crossing them over above the null frequency and using a single sub for the bass, in a location that was conducive to the listening positions.
Additionally, the aging ferro-fluid tweeters sounded kind of dead so using sonarworks smoothed out the bass frequencies from the diy crossover (eq) and the dull tweeters. Much, much smoother frequency response. It does sound a little bit processed vs a nearfield with naturally better treble response (A7x). EQ was limited to no more than +/- 6db.

The cost is it takes up some asio performance.
I only use it for headphones. I was wondering why empty projects were using 10-15% asio performance on a 6 core 4ghz computer. Sonarworks headphone reference plugin just being on in the 'control room' section of cubase was using that much.

It's a good product.

I personally use a KRK Ergo room correction myself which only works on 500hz and below. In addition to the eq compensation, it also does phase alignment which sonar works does not do. I believe they are discontinued.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
I'd say version 4 is better than 3, i've demoed both extensively.
What are the main differences or things you prefer in version 4 over version 3?

Thanks
Old 5 days ago
Sky
Lives for gear

The cost is some latency, but the benefits are worthwhile for me.

I just commented to a friend that a majority of room treatment puzzles could be more easily solved with calibration, especially in small rooms with more troublesome nodes than space to install absorbers.

SonarWorks 4 is working fine for me. My recommendation is to run the calibration at least a half-dozen times and study the resulting curves. You'll find outliers and also a few that resemble each other. Use one of the latter as it will likely be a good calibration.

Sky

Last edited by Sky; 5 days ago at 12:58 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
I only use it for headphones. I was wondering why empty projects were using 10-15% asio performance on a 6 core 4ghz computer. Sonarworks headphone reference plugin just being on in the 'control room' section of cubase was using that much.
I use Cubase 5 ( I know...old but stable) and actually monitor through Apogee's Maestro software with almost zero latency. Since I do not monitor incoming signals through Cubase I am hoping that means that even with Sonarworks on the master buss I will not experience added latency when tracking...or am I wrong about that?

Thanks
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
The cost is some latency, but the benefits are worthwhile for me.
Thanks. I actually monitor my incoming signals when I am tracking through Apogee's Maestro software which offers almost zero latency. I am hoping this means that the added latency in Cubase with Sonarworks running will not actually affect my tracking?

At the moment I would only be able to run Sonarworks version 3 as I am still on OS 10.7.5

Thanks
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I have it and it is mostly great.

I do sometimes thinking about going for a Trinnov system so I don't have to mess about with putting the plugin in bypass when doing a final mix, but otherwise it is all good.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton.Verb View Post
What are the main differences or things you prefer in version 4 over version 3?

Thanks
It works faster/easier maybe (as i remember ver.3), it has better organized options for correction. Maybe it even works better, who knows? )
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I sum analog and have about 10 master stereo busses...I guess that means the plugin has to be inserted across every output??

Oh boy...anybody working like that summing analog?? I wonder if that many instances of the eq won't hog my cpu...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I sum analog and have about 10 master stereo busses...I guess that means the plugin has to be inserted across every output??

Oh boy...anybody working like that summing analog?? I wonder if that many instances of the eq won't hog my cpu...
Wha? No! It needs to be only on monitors output, it is monitors correction plugin!
Old 5 days ago
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. I actually monitor my incoming signals when I am tracking through Apogee's Maestro software which offers almost zero latency. I am hoping this means that the added latency in Cubase with Sonarworks running will not actually affect my tracking?

At the moment I would only be able to run Sonarworks version 3 as I am still on OS 10.7.5

Thanks
I usually disable the plug in PTHD Native when tracking, and activate during mixing and mastering. Also, I run SystemWide by default (calibration on) when doing general computing.

Sky
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

there is latency. it is user adjustable, how much latency based on lin phase vs min phase I believe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search