The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Laptops with desktop 8700K? Bearable noise? 8950HK? Other 6 core options? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear
Laptops with desktop 8700K? Bearable noise? 8950HK? Other 6 core options?

I am of course specifically thinking of the Clevo 870..

17.3" with GTX 1070 G Sync (will dedicated one of the 4 internal drives to a dual boot and games).

32GB 2667 ram, 8700K..

GREAT port selection, 5 USB 3.1, thunderbolt 3/Usb-C, and another usb-c. Plenty of display out, card reader (sadly not uhs2) and gigabit Ethernet.

The form factor is just so appealing to me and then raising a second ultra wide monitor to sit behind it, so I can work in 2 screens.. I'll only game on the laptop screen with g sync.

I know it gets noisy and hot when graphics and cpu being stressed..

but does anyone here actually use a "laptop" with a full size desktop chip inside?

I love the easy access, i can upgrade it to 64gb ram if needed later, takes 2 NVMe and 2 sata, so i'd make the entire system SSD, Intel 760P's and 970 Evo's, however for the audio project drive, i'll make a 512 GB samsung 960 pro for it's superb TBW values.. The guys that build them locally (clevo shell., company is metabox) said they'd do a diamond repaste for me and make sure it's spot on (i don't want liquid metal as it eventually needs to be re done and is dangerous for someone with shaky hands like me).. The other 3 SSD's will be 1 and 2TB ones dedicated to streaming, except for the 1TB 970 Evo i will dedicate to gaming.. I'll add a cal digit thunderbolt 3 hub to it and run a couple external SSD as well.. I'll use a seagate backup plus 8 TB to backup as well as making second backups of everything critical on a new WD 4TB usb3 portable I have still never used.

The total price with the extra monitor, hub, 4TB of SSD, 8700K, 32GB ram, GTX 1070 8GB, 120 hz HD screen, will be the same as just the very base imac pro with absolutely no options.. the 8 core 3ghz xeon, 32gb ram, 1TB ssd only, and of course a beautiful 5K screen.

Imac pro's are apparently really doggy in bootcamp, apple has lost all interest in making windows perform well on new macs anymore, so.... Believe me, the thought of a basic imac pro with just the 2TB sata update so i could dedicate half to bootcamp and half to OSX did occur to me.

But i will never personally be able to open the imac pro and upgrade it myself, i'll need to carry it's heavy ass to an apple certified repairer of some kind if i ever decide to upgrade the ram at a later stage..

And my desire to move to windows is really strong.. The only thing I don't like about windows is the FLS plugin slot issue, but i'll work around that.

Yes, i know the cpu in the imac pro is a bit more powerful, however the single core of the 8700K is stronger...And for someone coming from an i7-2600 for the last 8 years, the difference is going to be HUGE for me anyway.

I love that these laptops are SO customisable, from video card, to many screen options, 4 drive bays, the easy access ram etc etc ect.
And honestly, they are the nicest bunch of guys I have ever spoken to (other than Tafkat), who are actually IN australia and answer the phone and speak clearly.

I really feel comfortable doing business with them.

But the problem that is plaguing me is the possibility of noise.. Unfortunately they don't get the non K 8700's anymore, which are slightly lower clocked but a 65 watt chip vs 95 for the 8700K.. The 8700K is literally the one and only choice.

So basically, the imac pro will be quieter, have more cpu power, but the windows box will have just as fast SSD yet a lot more OF it, will be a great machine to game on when I need to blow off steam, will use much less space in the studio, and be plenty powerful for me.....
And a couple grand cheaper until i add the hi res external screen and thunderbolt hub.

But yeah, the noise.
They don't do change of mind... so.... it's a huge 5.5K risk for me, after not buying a new computer for so many years..

SO.. TL;DR:

If anyone here uses a desktop cpu in a laptop from factor, and believes the noise is tolerable when just doing audio work, please let me know.

If it's Intolerable, it would be good to know that too...

They told me there is no thermal throttling on it at stock settings, which tells me the fans would have to really spin up and make some noise..

But i am *hoping*, that if the gpu is not being taxed, and the real cpu usage is around 50% on all cores (remember, when a DAW's meter is 100%, the real cpu is nowhere near that), that the sound level is tolerable.

Anyone who knows anything about this, please let me know.

The other option, after months of research, is the Aorus X7 with 8850H, 6 core 2.6 processor, which sits at 4ghz all core turbo without incident (according to all reviews I have seen), and apparently noise is decent when not being thrashed.. a beautiful DTR but in australia, we can not customize it at order time.. The people that do that in the US that do ship to OZ, would actually mean that the laptop would be 2 grand MORE expensive to get it here than just buying it locally and adding things myself.

I just have no idea what to do, other than knowing I am 100% ready to buy a new computer, but do not want to make a mistake, cause it's not like apple where you can just return it (at their cost no less) within 14 days and get all your money back if you don't like it...

Basically, i need 6 cores, at least 3 internal drives, decent noise and thermals without weird throttling, and thunderbolt 3. ANY suggestions besides the two I have just talked about, I am all ears!
Oh yeah, it has to be 17.3.. 1920x1080 is just too hard for me to deal with on a 15.6, and I want the larger form factor anyway.. It's not going to be used in a portable fashion 95% of the time.
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

I would say that any desktop CPU in a small form factor will have to have an obviously small fan/heat sink and therefor the fan will need to be spinning pretty fast to keep it cool.

People's noise tolerance is different and your studio noise floor needs to be taken into account too. I would imagine if you're mixing etc then the fan noise might be OK but I'd seriously doubt you would be able to record say spoken word or a quiet solo instrument in the same room.

Is it possible for the guys you're buying from to just use one of the noise level apps on phones to give you an idea of levels on a real world working scenario?

MC
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear
Hi, since the post I found a video.. and with undervolting and the quiet fan profile it can be kept at 4ghz on all 6 cores without much noise.. I am very surprised... but of course only as long as the gpu is not being taxed at the same time...
This guy went really deep into it.. performance was very impressive.. amazing laptop...
There are three fans inside and tons of copper... the way to do it is to restrict the watts to no more than 65, and undervolt 150 mv... This will allow it to stay at 4ghz flat and fans will only ramp when the cpu gets too hot.. ie a very heavy project.. I am pretty sure it will be ok..

That said, i also just put together a beautiful 7820X system, with 4 SSD's, a 2560x1440 24" G sync monitor, 64GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Noctua cooler, fractal R5 case etc.. and that will literally be close to silent under any load and perform brilliantly, not to mention the crazy amount of usb ports.. i included an asus ROG 1070 TI which has nothing but rave reviews and when not gaming the fan doesn't even operate.. I am pretty sure this would be a killer system.. So now I have to decide....

Do i build a desktop that i can upgrade at any time since there are many more cpu's that can go on the 2066 socket, upgrade graphics any time too if need be (doubt it).. or do i go for the noisier but much more convenient form factor of the laptop? I have been struggling with these decisions for weeks now, but at least i have finally made the decision to transition to windows, 100%..it was a very hard decision that I have been flip flopping on since March, as I have been a dedicated apple user for a decade now.. Anyway, the windows switch is certain, and I'm ditching all my UAD apollo gear too and getting a single RME UFX+ which i can expand and expand with madi etc....

I wish i could just afford to get the skylake system i have put together, and a cheap laptop as well, just something with 16GB ram, 15", 1050TI is fine or 1060, with the 8750H processor.. but there is no way i can afford both right now....

Thank you for your reply.
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear
I just want to apologise to anyone who read that gigantic post..

This has been going on for months for me, and I couldn't decide.. I was committed to change to windows for 2 reasons
1) Upgradability of any system, even a laptop or AIO 2) Software that doesn't have mac versions like analogic delay which is STILL the only real replacement for logic's tape delay i have ever found, and it's win only 3)Every plugin seems to work even on win 10, like all my old elemental audio stuff which I adore.. I have the "updated" versions that use Ilok but the mac versions stopped working even on snow leopard..(Roger Nichols).

HOWEVER..

I just can't take the stress anymore.. Indecision for months.. My sig at KVR literally used to be flip flopper, but I did stick to mac for 10 years since 2008.

I wanted to play games too...

Anyway it all really got to me.. i remember the one thing i didn't miss was component and bargain hunting and what motherboard works well for audio and all that....

But then, someone who is a windows guru put me off.. they keep telling me that windows 10 forced updates can break something...

On mac, i just have the OS version i want to use and never ever have to update it. There are NO forced updates on mac os.. anyone who says otherwise is incorrect.

So.. i succumbed and ordered a custom imac pro.
And when i can afford it I will buy a basic windows machine for gaming.. that's very easy to build, an 8600K, 16GB ram, basic mobo and GTI 1070 and g sync monitor. 1500 bucks and will game whatever i want. I'll get it at my birthday in Jan. Easy.

It was such a hard decision with the imac as I HATE where apple is going with mojave and dropping all 32 bit app support.. Plus, no one breaks apps more than apple with OS updates.. But performance really isn't different to windows now, I confirmed that with my own tests today, at least not in Cubase, and I am happy to stay on High sierra for the full 3 years till i look at upgrading again.

And after an i7 2600 for almost 8 years, it will be a huge jump.. I know it's not upgradeable which is why i will get 64Gb ram now and the 2TB SSD, and just leave the 8 core and vega 56 graphics. I also love the 4 USB3 and 4USBC/TB3 and two independent thunderbolt busses..I'll turn some of my SSD's into TB3 devices and will have plenty of storage..
Believe it or not I am not that huge on the screen, cause some plugins still look blurry and would look better at a native 2560x1440. I think the screen is more for video editors. But at least with apps that re retina, it looks good.
Anyway, i know mac back to front, and the imac pro is dead silent.. The 8 core maintains the best turbo of all of them, it maintains 3.9 across all 8 cores, so for audio i actually think it's the pick for VI's and stuff. The 10 core is the sweet spot and maintain 3.5 across the 10 cores but i'd rather have the ram at present.

Thanks all who read through my story.. sorry again about that! I really was going crazy deciding. Now, it's over.

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search