The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a question for those who use madi Digital Converters
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Addict

a question for those who use madi

If anyone uses Madi I was looking at a Madi router for all my effects to the daws having the ability to route any signal back and forth .. any one use this..I have seen a few
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear
PCI/MADI cards from RME
UAD if you want effects built in.
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Addict

I mean a router before the cards ...I want pres and outboard to access all daws in the place...also I can route a pre to a comp digital
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Check out the following products:

RME: MADI Router
products: DirectOut
products: DirectOut
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Head

I use the Direct Output one. If you want a madi router, that is the one to get.
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

I was an early proponent of MADI in the Recording studio - It was designed for broadcast and uses a serial style data interface - truth is that while VERY functional - there is no way in this day that I would chose to outfit a setup using MADI.
DANTE has been here for years and is the most sensible and economic option for high channel/ multi routed audio. - YOU don't need hardware to route signals - you just use the SOFTWARE.

MADI works in the commercial broadcast enviro......DANTE is better for the recording studio /broadcast hybrid
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Addict

But Dante is only 128 channels right..I can use that just for preamps...I need like 256 at least... maybe 3 Madi cards... with a router I can use 3rd card for other PC's
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalson View Post
But Dante is only 128 channels right..I can use that just for preamps...I need like 256 at least... maybe 3 Madi cards... with a router I can use 3rd card for other PC's
The operative word is 128 *concurrent* channels. The 128-in/128-out capability of a Dante PCIe card in a computer can be surrounded by a gigantic population of Dante-enabled devices.

So, for example, if you had 6 of the Ferrofish A32 Dante boxes that do 64x64 Dante, you could serve a population of 384 in/out sources/destinations, but at the computer with the PCIe card, only 128 in/out could be seen by the DAW.

Since the Dante Controller routing functions have single-channel granularity and multiple-destination capability, adding additional DAW machines with different patterns of connectivity (each with a Dante PCIe card) is a matter of ambition and patience. The architecture supports it.

I'm dying to get a picture or description of your environment that has such extraordinary connectivity requirements. I built big corporate data networks in my pre-retirement, and Dante feels like home now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search