The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soft synth with good presets? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Soft synth with good presets?

Preset jockey here. I know, "good" is vague and subjective as hell, but I'm open to suggestions. Basically something with a wide variety of quality, usable sounds, but I don't need much if any of this dance/trance/techno stuff per se, but things which are more usable from a general pop, rock, funk, perhaps even new age or "soundscape" perspective (e.g. some nice pads).

PS if anyone is about to say "Massive," I disagree, knowing someone who had it and let me try it. Yeah tons of presets, which I licked my chops about as I waded through....and found many of them 99% the same as a handful of others, which caused a lot of what turned out to be wasted time. Maybe it's good if you're hard-core into crafting your own sounds, but I'm more about tweaking existing ones at most.

One I do like so far is a freebie, FB3300. Not many presets, but a lot of what's there is good IMO.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
I don't like the presets for most soft synths. I find them mostly to be way overdone and useless in normal musical situations.
One of the few exceptions for me is Synthmaster. Actually, to be more precise, I use the free (with purchase) Synthmaster CM, but I'm pretty sure the full version would only be better. Very musical, very usable presets for my taste.
Another one that I kind of like for presets is the free Synth 1.
Hmmm, I guess the more generic the name of the plugin, the more I like the presets it seems.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
By the way, I would agree with you about that Full Bucket synth. They have a lot of other cool free synths too, and they all have pretty good presets.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Zebra, spire, dune, sylenth.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Most factory banks are pretty weak. I think there are a lot of aftermarket sound packs for all the big synths, though (Sylenth/Nexus/Omnisphere etc) so you should browse those. One exception is I think Alchemy's new age/soundscape pads are actually pretty interesting.

If you like the sound of the FB3300 you may be into other emulations. Try something based off classics like the DX7 YouTube , Korg M1 YouTube or maybe romplers like the Wavestation.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Presets are usually deliberately over the top, and are made to be starting point of making a sound not the final solution. That being said, a good one can be very inspiring to creating a tune.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search