The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Match EQ that can adjust sidechain feedback loop? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
I really enjoyed demoing Spiff, excellent plugin with heaps of potential uses.
It's on my list of tools to work into my setup.
The new Punctuate from NF/Eventide is, simply put, amazing. As is their new Saturation plugin. Of the 4 NF/Eventide plugins in the bundle, these are the most intuitive to me, still trying to wrap my head around the full potential of the original 2 plugins. But Punctuate I instantly fell in love with..highly recommend giving it a whirl.

To me Spiff and Punctuate are both something anyone would want. Spiff is easy to forget it's in there working whereas Punctuate to my ears is a bolder sounding tool with a wonderful sound to it. I'm spending time with Punctuate today, if I can come up with more precise/specific descriptives I'll post them.
Well, since I'm using something like 20 clippers on the current percussion heavy project (not joking), finding some custom settings on one of them could be a life saver. Hopefully punctuate does it better than Spiff since I've already got it, and it's been a crazy expensive week in plug-in land.

As for the original 2 in the bundle... they're interesting, but I just can't shake the impression that certain things shouldn't be done in the way they're doing them... like pushing EQ into a MultiBand limiter. I may be missing all kinds of wiz-bang stuff beneath the hood that alleviates all the usual issues, but it just strikes me as a flawed concept to begin with. Hard to tell since running all those bands takes over half a core and kills the system. I'm guessing Elevate works better for people doing dedicated mastering where they've got cores to spare.

Hopefully Punctuate has a longer transient window. For bringing out real punch in drums, I NEVER use anything anywhere near 10ms. Depending on how meaty I want the sound, I've pushed to 10x that at times. I've got Enveloper in logic doing several now from 20 to 50ms. Just nuts to me that any such plug would bother to give an option, but then limit it to a useless range that only provides clicks with no body.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
... most people would use such a tool with either another track as a reference...
... and the Arbiter of Taste would be whoever mixed and mastered the reference track...

Quote:
... or with an abstracted (and probably simplified) curve.
And the Arbiter of Taste would be software? Like those commercial auto-mastering services?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
... and the Arbiter of Taste would be whoever mixed and mastered the reference track...

And the Arbiter of Taste would be software? Like those commercial auto-mastering services?

The arbiter of taste is always the person using the plugin.

You appear to have a preconceived notion of something more along the lines of Zynaptiq Intensity which takes these concepts and dumbs them down. Ignoring that I've never endorsed such a predetermined approach, I'd add that tools like those in the Melda toolkit give all the same controls users have always had, and simply add the possibility of MORE control.

With a traditional graphic EQ, the user sets points to define a curve. Drawing a curve is just a more accurate way of doing the same thing. Using a traditional compressor, the user sets release characteristics to define a curve. Bezier tools are just a more accurate way of doing the same thing. If someone thinks they have LESS control with these tools than before, they're using them wrong.

Actually, with a drawn curve, the user not only has complete control, but it removes any direct connection to ANY outside reference. The user could try to be influenced by a particular outside arbiter (like the auto-mastering services that you mention even though I've never used or endorsed them), but they'd actually have to go out of their way to do it. Of course, they could just do the same thing with traditional EQ as well... as they have been doing daily since at least the wax cylinder era.

If (as you seem to be implying), you just have a fundamental objection to the (meta-control) core notion underlying ALL of the newer, more advanced EQ tools, that's fine. I have no interest in changing your mind... but why not just say that and be done with it?

Last edited by Ain't Nobody; 1 week ago at 05:42 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search