The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iMac Pro and Virtual Instruments Drive Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th July 2018
iMac Pro and Virtual Instruments Drive

Hello Folks,

Ever since the start of time, and before having those 1 TB internal SSDs built in, we used to be storing the Komplete, Omnisphere, Kontakt Libraries on a super fast External Drive to save space on the system drive.

Now currently with the iMac Pro, an 8 core Processor along with a 1 TB internal SSD, would it be better to store those libraries and install them on the internal drive ? or the External Drive is still the way to go?

Your opinion is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Bechara
Old 14th July 2018
Gear Addict
The internal SSD on an iMac Pro is rated to transfer (read) at 2 GBytes per second - the external Thunderbolt 3 disk subsystems don't get any better than 1 GB/sec, so the internal would be (in theory) twice as fast.

Basically the internal SSD is PCIe device. Doesn't get any faster ;-)
Old 16th July 2018
Yup ! I used the internal for all my libraries and still have 520 GB free out of 1 TB !!

What's the limit I shouldn't get below ?
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search