The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer AD8200 question ... In and out at same time? Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Behringer AD8200 question ... In and out at same time?

Couple of questions...

1. Can I use the ADAT ins and outs at the same time? To get 8 signals in and also route 8 signals out? I have ADAT in and out on my soundcard.

2. Could the outputs be used to drive the CVs on Eurorack modules? Or does it need to be decoupled to do this.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You can use ins and outs on the ADA-8000 at the same time, but in effect, the unit is two seperate devices that share a power supply and clock.

You have 8 inputs, which convert to digital and leave via the ADAT output. On the other side, you have an ADAT input which feeds the 8 analog outputs.

No way to monitor a mic or input directly. To do that, another device has to receive ADAT, turn it around, and feed ADAT back to the 8200.

You can connect audio outputs to CV inputs but if the audio outputs are not DC coupled, there can be problems. Not real clear on all this myself, but you should have enough keywords to research the issue for more info.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
You can connect audio outputs to CV inputs but if the audio outputs are not DC coupled, there can be problems. Not real clear on all this myself, but you should have enough keywords to research the issue for more info.
I don't think the Behringer is DC coupled, at least I don't think it was listed on Expert Sleepers list. Haven't tested mine yet with my modular, but my MOTU is so I just use that heh. What happens with outputs that are AC coupled, is the DC juice which makes up CV voltage, is filtered out of the signal, so your CV inputs just don't get anything. AC coupling cuts out DC, but DC coupling lets both pass through.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
I don't think the Behringer is DC coupled, at least I don't think it was listed on Expert Sleepers list. Haven't tested mine yet with my modular, but my MOTU is so I just use that heh. What happens with outputs that are AC coupled, is the DC juice which makes up CV voltage, is filtered out of the signal, so your CV inputs just don't get anything. AC coupling cuts out DC, but DC coupling lets both pass through.
If you get a chance to test the ADA8200 that would be really great. I guess there are a lot of us out here with one! If it happened to work... would be good news.
Old 1 week ago
I can't cause the outputs are all XLR and its a pain to get to the back of the rack to hook them up haha. The 8000 is listed on Expert Sleepers page for the AC Encoder plugin in Silent Way, so Im pretty sure the 8200 is exactly the same. Ive read that Black Lion has a mod for it, but Ive never seen anything on their page for the 8200 that mentions DC coupling the analog outputs. It CAN work with the AC Encoder, but you need to make special TRS-TS cables for it with a diode and capacitor in them. It'll only output positive voltages too, so you'll need some sort of offset in your modular gear unless you're fine with that A lot of my Make Noise modules have 0-10V ranges so it would be perfect with those, but my Doepfers and others are all -5/+5V so Id have to run it through one of the channels on Maths and invert it 5V for it to work good for pitch or modulation.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
I can't cause the outputs are all XLR and its a pain to get to the back of the rack to hook them up haha. The 8000 is listed on Expert Sleepers page for the AC Encoder plugin in Silent Way, so Im pretty sure the 8200 is exactly the same. Ive read that Black Lion has a mod for it, but Ive never seen anything on their page for the 8200 that mentions DC coupling the analog outputs. It CAN work with the AC Encoder, but you need to make special TRS-TS cables for it with a diode and capacitor in them. It'll only output positive voltages too, so you'll need some sort of offset in your modular gear unless you're fine with that A lot of my Make Noise modules have 0-10V ranges so it would be perfect with those, but my Doepfers and others are all -5/+5V so Id have to run it through one of the channels on Maths and invert it 5V for it to work good for pitch or modulation.
Yep I get you with the cables and back of rack thing

Sounds like it could be a lot of hassle, and maybe better to just pick up an Expert Sleepers ESX-8CV and 8GT... Black Lion do a mod with DC Coupling but its expensive.

Out of interest which MOTU are you using? And does this work alongside your main interface? (Wonder if I can pick up a cheap one, but dont think I run it with my RME UCX at the same time)
Old 1 week ago
Im using an old firewire MOTU 828MK2, it is my main interface. I don't really have a need for the audio outputs, so when I got my modular and found out what Silent Way does, I jumped on it haha. I still only use two of the outputs though, one is CV the other is a gate that comes from the Voice Controller plugin in Silent Way. I use that whenever I want to play my modular in a 'normal' way, otherwise its usually used for random generative ambient stuff and triggers itself. It would work great with the RME but it would essentially replace the ADA8200 and you would have to use it over ADAT. You didn't mention what OS or DAW you're using, but last I remember ASIO on Windows didn't allow you to use 2 ASIO devices at the same time, and with CoreAudio on a Mac you would have to make the MOTU and the RME an Aggregate Device to use them both as one big interface if the MOTU was also connected to the computer (but then you could use the ADA too and have even more channels available!). If the Fireface UCX is like the Fireface 400, you've at least got two DC coupled outputs already though. The headphone output on the 400 is DC coupled, it might be on the UCX too. Its just nobody that has one has tested it with the plugin yet, so Silent Way cant put it up on their list of devices that work. I didn't even realize until just now that my Lexicon MPX500 is on the list.. I wonder how I send it to those outputs now over SPDIF!! Guess I just send a signal out to those channels, and bypass the effects in the Lexicon and it should come out the analog outs. Damn found another 2 available!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search