The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New MOTU Ultralite MK4 192khz silence isn't so golden. Audio Interfaces
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

New MOTU Ultralite MK4 192khz silence isn't so golden.

Just got my new Ultralite Mk4 in the mail today and have been blown away by the pristine audio quality & low latency -- Everything seemed to work right off the bat on my windows 10 desktop (16gb/3770k) until I tried to listen to a flac at 192khz in foobar2000 ...

I had already tested all other sample rates in Ableton and don't even plan to record at 192. I just want to make sure I don't have a defective unit. I don't have studio monitors. only monitoring via my Senn HD600s
It's just completely silent at that rate in my DAW and in other audio software/foobar/etc , even though the interface is showing that its set to 192 ...

Browsed the entire manual and have been searching forums but haven't found anything yet. So this is a last ditch effort before I contact tech support -- hoping I'm just missing some minor detail.

I made sure I'm hooked up to a USB 3.0 port, in case usb 2 was the culprit. My computer can handle 192 just fine with my old consumer dac (Schiit modi2) ..

Any ideas?

[edit] Apparently 176400 doesn't work either.. Everything from 44.1 to 96 works just fine.
Old 15th July 2018
Gear Head
Maybe mark this as solved in case others see the same problem?
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayswater View Post
Maybe mark this as solved in case others see the same problem?
What was the solution?
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEagle View Post
My computer can handle 192 just fine with my old consumer dac (Schiit modi2) ..
How does the converter quality compare with the Schiit modi2 vs the Ultralite.? (sorry I can't help you with the 192 problem) I'm just curious how the ESS Saber converter stacks up vs whatever.
Old 18th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
How does the converter quality compare with the Schiit modi2 vs the Ultralite.? (sorry I can't help you with the 192 problem) I'm just curious how the ESS Saber converter stacks up vs whatever.
The sample rate problem was just a minor oversight on my part - I found out the next day that when you switch to the two highest sample rates, it disables the headphone output in the routing section by default. Just a quick fix re-routing the signal and all was running great.

As for the quality - It's far exceeded my expectations. Ultralite has more clarity than any other interface I've heard, including the Modi 2. I now use it for all media consumption in addition to recording duty, despite it lacking a bit of punch in the headphone amp (80mw vs 280mw RMS on my vali 2) ...The low end doesn't come through quite as well but it more than makes up for it in crystal clear, tight response.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear
Thanks. Great to hear.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search