The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on Sonarworks Reference Studio Headphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Opinions on Sonarworks Reference

I currently just have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones. I feel like they are prohibiting me from making better mixes. I was curious what owners think of the Sonarworks Reference for headphones. Do they make a big difference? I plan of trying the demo this weekend. I also understand that for the price of the software I could just buy a pair of used monitors.

I tried that plugin Waves makes (the name escapes me) where you attach a motion sensor to the headphones and it simulates being infront of monitors. I found it to be **** and returned it. I think there's another company that makes something similiar to Soundworks, but I forget the name of that too.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79adam79 View Post
I currently just have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones. I feel like they are prohibiting me from making better mixes. I was curious what owners think of the Sonarworks Reference for headphones. Do they make a big difference? I plan of trying the demo this weekend. I also understand that for the price of the software I could just buy a pair of used monitors.

I tried that plugin Waves makes (the name escapes me) where you attach a motion sensor to the headphones and it simulates being infront of monitors. I found it to be **** and returned it. I think there's another company that makes something similiar to Soundworks, but I forget the name of that too.
Reference is outstanding, and a must have IMO.
It will transform the way you mix - I recommend custom calibration (send your headphones to them - takes about 10 days in total turnaround).

SW Reference for me is the first piece of software anybody who mixes/masters should buy.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpd View Post
Reference is outstanding, and a must have IMO.
It will transform the way you mix - I recommend custom calibration (send your headphones to them - takes about 10 days in total turnaround).

SW Reference for me is the first piece of software anybody who mixes/masters should buy.
Cool. How much is the calibration? Do you think that it's just as good of a replacement for budget monitors? Realistically, I can't see myself spending more than a couple hundred on monitors.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79adam79 View Post
Cool. How much is the calibration? Do you think that it's just as good of a replacement for budget monitors? Realistically, I can't see myself spending more than a couple hundred on monitors.
Can't remember the calibration cost - drop them a line they are very cool and friendly guys. If you can get some cheap/decent monitors too, and use reference with them... coupled with calibrated headphones you will have everything you need to mix accurately.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search