The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 TBolt Ports, 2 Interfaces? Digital Converters
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

2 TBolt Ports, 2 Interfaces?

Hi,

I have a dumb question that I can't wrap my head around.

I have an Apollo Twin (one TB port).
I also have a MOTU 828x (one TB port) that I use to connect an Apogee AD16x and DA16x via ADAT.

My Macbook Pro has two TB ports.

At first, I was thinking that I could connect the Apollo to one port and the MOTU to the other port and have them all work together.
Then, I started thinking about how I would resolve the clocking between the Apollo and the MOTU (using the Apogee as master) and my brain hurt.

Is this possible, or should I just ditch the Apollo and get a monitor controller, which is what I would really be using the Apollo for anyway.

Thanks!
Seamus
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If it was a PC I'd definitely say you have to make one unit a master clock and the other a slave to it. Unfortunately PC's are not Macs. You can only run a single audio driver at a time. The exception is where your interface is expandable. I have three M-Audio PCI cards and they all use the same audio drivers and the driver is designed to be expanded up to three cards. The first card acts as a master clock and the others are connected via SPIDF connection.

Macs are a bit different. They use some kind of native audio which allows you to use different manufacturers interfaces at the same time.
you would have to link the cards using one as a master or using an external clock. The daw program doesn't supply any methods of synchronizing tracks to each other. If one cards clock runs faster then another then the playback of the track recorded with one card is going to change speeds when played back with another card. The daw program would crash trying to play back tracks running at different speeds.

Maybe a person who knows Macs better could verify this, but I cant see it possibly working without synced clocks.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

I think that I could clock the MOTU from the AD16x via ADAT, and also clock the Apollo from the AD16x via the other ADAT.

In my mind, this would mean that the MOTU and the Apollo would both be clocked off the same source.
Old 5 days ago
Chose one as master (my choice would be ad16x) switch that to internal clock, set the others as external. If you can, use wordclock bnc as the source, or spdif/aes if you need all your adats for audio to other devices.

So in other words: feed bnc from ad16x out to da16x in, da16x out to motu in. Slave apollo by using one of your motus as spdif optical to apollo. Use correct cable ohmage for bnc.

For me, even if I was running adat between the sound devices for audio bussing I'd still be using WC bnc if it was available, second would be spdif/aes and third adat for wordclock.

Whenever you need to change sample rate only change it on the master. The rest will follow.

With mac use aggregate audio device. Windows? mmm you would have bus audio in together to your daw. Say by using the motu as the sound device driver and send audio down the optical for apollo.

Last edited by bcslaam; 5 days ago at 05:44 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

I think that should work, thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search