The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube Console 1 SSL 4000 vs 9000 Control Surfaces
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear
Softube Console 1 SSL 4000 vs 9000

Hi all! I’ve been on Console 1 for about two years now, and I love it overall. I have the SSL 4000 and the Neve bundles. Back in school, over 10 years ago now, I got to work on an SSL duality and loved the sound. Since then, pretty much every SSL plug-in is based on the 4000 channel strip and I love that sound as well and have come to rely on it. Without getting too technical about things, how do you guys feel about the 9000 bundle? How would you describe the “feeling” that you get and how it compares to the 4000? I know in general, the 9000 should be more clean and open where as the 4000 has a bit more grit and vibe possibly. I plan to demo the 9000 at some point, but I’d love some of your thoughts.

What I loved about the duality was this open feeling that the music had just running through that desk. It was really unique, and the audio felt as if it was hovering over the desk in a very come to life kind of way. Wondering if the 9000 channel strip gives a little bit of that feeling back?

Thanks!
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Nut
Bump

I'm curious about this as well. Just got my console 1 this week. Loving it so far!
Old 28th July 2018
I'm a 9000 user and man I love it. For modern records of any genre, there is nothing like it and the ability to color a source at will is just incredibly useful with the VHD preamp/drive. Since I've gotten it I've mixed probably 99% of all the records with it and I mix about 200+ records a year so the sound is just dope. In collaboration with the nebula library from Alex B, this library gets taken up a notch like wow and then it's just a dream to both hear and work on. Using the buss comp from Alex b as well yields amazing results in tandem as well but I will be getting an Audio-scape SSL clone for those duties this week so I'm just taking my love to the next level is all lol
Old 2 weeks ago
I think it depends if you prefer the E EQ curves or the G. I've been using the 9000 strip most so have gotten comfortable with the G. I don't like the distortion that the 4000 strip EQ serves up if you're not super careful. I feel like they overdid the distortion a bit, on the Tube Tech stuff as well. So I prefer the 9000 EQ overall. The compressor I find a little bland. Their 4000 compressor has a little bit more interesting character, to my ears.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search