The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BOOM! i9 6-Core 32GB RAM 4TB SSD MacBook Pro released! Audio Interfaces
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Maniac

BOOM! i9 6-Core 32GB RAM 4TB SSD MacBook Pro released!

MacBook Pro - Apple
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

That boom sound was your wallet

Apple’s most expensive MacBook Pro now costs $6,700 - The Verge
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Lucky you, it’s 8000,- Euro in Germany
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

monster powerbook.

but that price for the top end model.... ouch.
Old 12th July 2018
The top of the range is pricey, but you can get the 6 core i9 with a 1GB SSD and 16GB of ram (not sure if the ram is serviceable?) for a pretty reasonable price. That looks like it could be a great machine. I don’t see the point in going for the 4TB SSD for audio guys, which is what pushes the price up. You’re better off adding extra external SSD or HDD’s, than a single internal one.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

A 4tb SSD is still just crazy expensive, but I've been happy with the 1tb I have in my 2014. I would do the 2.9 6-core with 32gig of ram and 1tb SSD for 3,899.00 or I could save $300 with the 2.6 CPU. Honestly, cheaper than I expected them to be. That's probably my next mac. Probably pick one up in the fall, provided there are no issues with them.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
A 4tb SSD is still just crazy expensive, but I've been happy with the 1tb I have in my 2014. I would do the 2.9 6-core with 32gig of ram and 1tb SSD for 3,899.00 or I could save $300 with the 2.6 CPU. Honestly, cheaper than I expected them to be. That's probably my next mac. Probably pick one up in the fall, provided there are no issues with them.
Here you go, 2tb of ssd for $300. Double it for $600.

Amazon.com: Micron 1100 MTFDDAK2T0TBN-1AR1ZABYY 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive: Computers & Accessories
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
Here you go, 2tb of ssd for $300. Double it for $600.
Price for getting it installed including destroying your warranty? You were under the impression you could change this afterwards? This is Apple.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Good thing the cost of ownership is so low.
Old 13th July 2018
Wow that is super expensive! I'm glad I jumped to windows lol.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Awesome update. Having the 4-core in the 13" is overdue but very welcomed!
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Macbooks Pros are usually priced within reason for their specs, when comparing Apples-to-Apples with major PC vendors. A 6-core i9 with 4TB SSD and 32 GB is almost ludicrously powerful for a laptop. It's as if Apple is overcompensating for the years of complaints about Macs always being a little behind the performance curve for PCs.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not NVME and probably a quarter of the speed

It would be like saying an Intel chip from 2012 vs 2018 both 2.4 GHz is the same th8ng
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

It's not surprising that if you buy spare parts and then assemble them yourself then will be less expensive than buying a "ready-made" computer. This will always be true. A better comparison would be to compare a MacBook Pro to professional laptops by other major vendors like HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes Apple has ridiculous prices. The current, embarrassingly out-of-date Mac Pro is overpriced. Apple has a tendency to hold their price points long after the bloom is off the stem, but they usually price things reasonably for new releases.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear
15" with Top Hex core CPU, 32G Ram, 1TB SSD, Apple care ~$4K + tax. Killer machine if that's what you need (My brother bought one today - SW Engineer). 50 to 100% more of everything vs the previous model at close to the same price. Apple MBP - is what it is.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

This is impossible and so must be false advertising, as a self-proclaimed expert on this site just swore up and down to me that 16GB is the max a laptop can have.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

The new mobile 6 cores are quite impressive as Pete posted here

The 6 core Intel mobile i7 8750H on the bench

Wouldn´t expect a 6 core Mini to be released.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
This is impossible and so must be false advertising, as a self-proclaimed expert on this site just swore up and down to me that 16GB is the max a laptop can have.
This article discusses this. Yes - its 32G of Ram

Apple Updates MacBook Pro Family for 2018: More CPU Cores, DDR4, & Same Form Factors
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
excect the drive in new MBP is about 500% faster than that

Quote:
expect that 32GB RAM will come at cost on the battery life. It's not that it's impossible it's just that that much RAM will tax the battery life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Price for getting it installed including destroying your warranty? You were under the impression you could change this afterwards? This is Apple.
The only RAM I have have ever had issues with the ****ty OWC RAM I bought (twice)
Phone 1800APPLECARE they'll replace it for free
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigfried Chicken View Post
It's not surprising that if you buy spare parts and then assemble them yourself then will be less expensive than buying a "ready-made" computer. This will always be true. A better comparison would be to compare a MacBook Pro to professional laptops by other major vendors like HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes Apple has ridiculous prices. The current, embarrassingly out-of-date Mac Pro is overpriced. Apple has a tendency to hold their price points long after the bloom is off the stem, but they usually price things reasonably for new releases.
Yes, we need to compare to PC laptops with exactly the same components to be able to judge how expensive Apple are with these.

I discovered the quadcore 13" got surprisingly near the hexacore 15" once you added same memory and the minimum 1 TB storage.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
The only RAM I have have ever had issues with the ****ty OWC RAM I bought (twice)
Phone 1800APPLECARE they'll replace it for free
What do you mean? From where do you get your info the RAM and SSD is replaceable in these new models? If they are, then that's big news. Share!
Old 13th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
Not NVME and probably a quarter of the speed

It would be like saying an Intel chip from 2012 vs 2018 both 2.4 GHz is the same th8ng
Not really. The question is rather do you need that speed? NVMe opposed to cheaper SATA drives hardly bring more noticeable advantage. That SATA drive will already handle thousands of voices. Now, if you edit 4K video, then you have a point.

Quote:
That used to be a limit. That mobile i9 CPU supports 64GB RAM. That does not mean Apple supports it, but it is technically possible to do.

Quote:
Yes, we need to compare to PC laptops with exactly the same components to be able to judge how expensive Apple are with these.
Correct. Compare apples with apples. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case, most comparisons are quite off. IMO it is possible to do slightly different comparisons, when workflow is not limited. For example, for audio, I wouldn't mind a SATA SSD instead of an NVMe if it makes a big enough difference.

IMO still insane to spend so much money on a 45W CPU system, but if your income is dependent on mobility, go for it...
Old 13th July 2018
PS: that CPU uses an all core Turbo of 4.3GHz, which is quite high. Not comparable with a 4.3GHz all core Turbo desktop CPU of course.
The 4.6GHz Turbo is an extended time Turbo value on one core (+HT core), 4.8GHz is a temporary max speed on a single core. Both will rarely be used when a DAW application is running.
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Every time Apple puts out a "Pro" machine there's always a crowd of people whining about the price and I'm not sure why. Yes, the up front cost is high, but I'm typing this on a 2008 MacBook Pro that I still use daily. Adjusted for inflation, that comes down to roughly $1 a day. Even if you only keep it for 3-5 years, I'll happily pay an extra $1-3 a day to actually enjoy using my computer / not have to deal with all the BS that Windows comes with. I expect most people who buy Macs feel the same way.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Correct. Compare apples with apples. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case, most comparisons are quite off.
There are of course no PC laptops with an Apple T2 processor and no touch bars either. Which may be a blessing for some.
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
PS: that CPU uses an all core Turbo of 4.3GHz, which is quite high. Not comparable with a 4.3GHz all core Turbo desktop CPU of course.
The 4.6GHz Turbo is an extended time Turbo value on one core (+HT core), 4.8GHz is a temporary max speed on a single core. Both will rarely be used when a DAW application is running.
So is it worth going to the top spec i9 chip and the 32GB ram than the standard config for daw use? Will i see any RT improvements?
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
So is it worth going to the top spec i9 chip and the 32GB ram than the standard config for daw use? Will i see any RT improvements?
RT = Real Time?

Aren't these 6-cores all i9-8950HK Processors? If so, the performance differentiation should pan out according to details like core speeds and cache.

RAM? How much are you using now? When will the performance be hampered by having to use the blazingly fast storage instead of RAM? I'm betting on that 16gb is sufficient for now. I'm on macOS 10.12 Sierra and these models naturally enforces an upgrade. Maybe these new OSes utilise memory differently, but so far I haven't even touched on using 16.
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
RT = Real Time?

Aren't these 6-cores all i9-8950HK Processors? If so, the performance differentiation should pan out according to details like core speeds and cache.

RAM? How much are you using now? When will the performance be hampered by having to use the blazingly fast storage instead of RAM? I'm betting on that 16gb is sufficient for now. I'm on macOS 10.12 Sierra and these models naturally enforces an upgrade. Maybe these new OSes utilise memory differently, but so far I haven't even touched on using 16.
Real time indeed

I currently have 2012 quad 2.3 i7 and it splutters audio way before i max out all the cpu cores, it has 8gb ram in it.

like you say unless someone can give me a valid reason why getting 32Gb and the faster chip will make a difference to real time Daw use i don't see the point...
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthonymusic View Post
Every time Apple puts out a "Pro" machine there's always a crowd of people whining about the price and I'm not sure why. Yes, the up front cost is high, but I'm typing this on a 2008 MacBook Pro that I still use daily. Adjusted for inflation, that comes down to roughly $1 a day. Even if you only keep it for 3-5 years, I'll happily pay an extra $1-3 a day to actually enjoy using my computer / not have to deal with all the BS that Windows comes with. I expect most people who buy Macs feel the same way.
What BS that Windows comes with? Are you talking about the version of Windows that you used more than ten years ago?

These days it's nothing more than preference. I use both, I have no preference. There is no inherent issue with Windows and hasn't been for years now.

Windows did used to be dire though. Roughly at the same time Apple computers didn't bend their customers over and give them one hard with the 'enforced obsolescence' stick and dongle schlong.
Old 13th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthonymusic View Post
not have to deal with all the BS that Windows comes with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
What BS that Windows comes with? Are you talking about the version of Windows that you used more than ten years ago?
Shall we keep Windows out of the thread? This is about Macbooks, we all know how such discussions ends. They don't.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search