The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BOOM! i9 6-Core 32GB RAM 4TB SSD MacBook Pro released! Audio Interfaces
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
Power Scheme is one facet of the overall user experience of a device.. and throttling can be part of power management, but it also affects other facets of the user experience.

A laptop is a portable device that needs to balance many aspects of the user experience.

Nothing "pure and simple" about this balancing act of designing an overall user experience... it's a complex trade-off of factors.

Running a system with "all faucets full blast" does not come without negative consequences to the user experience.
A laptop is a portable device that shouldn't be equipped with kit it can't manage, thermally or otherwise. Full stop.

Again, give it a month to get choked, after all it's a portable device that should handle different environments, right?

Still haven't seen if you void support if you open it to clean it regularly, as should be. I've had my XPS 17 apart 5 or 6 times to clean it and was horrified at what I found each time. I saw their venturi design, not impressed.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Mac users have had a rough year, I don't blame them for being testier than is per usual. older phones throttled for 'battery purposes' and now a brand new system throttled because it can't stand the heat.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
Here's some context...

The advantage of a MacBook Pro 2018 with an i9 vs an i7 will depend on the software you're using and the task you're doing.
…. duh ....
Old 12 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
No, I think you're missing the point.

Apple sells a product called "Pro", says base speed is 2.9GHz, and that most certainly implies that the computer under normal circumstances runs at least at the base speed of 2.9GHz at 100% CPU utilization. In the video the computer didn't.
You are wrong. The video test is a CPU + GPU benchmark so the heat increases a lot, and also there is no laptop which not throttles in this king of usage. In fact there are a few videos now in Youtube where using CPU only the i9 does not throttle during the same benchmarks.
Old 12 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
You are wrong. The video test is a CPU + GPU benchmark so the heat increases a lot,
Personally I don't think, as a general issue, if it matters that it's CPU + GPU. These aren't aftermarket add-ons, they're Apple shipped specs. The question has always been "is the increased $ amount worth the % of increased performance", not "would I actually be better off buying the slower machine?"

For DAW use though it's obviously very important which is why I'd love to see some actual #s on temps in something like Pro Tools/LPX. I doubt they'll have an i9 config at the Apple store / let me put Intel Power Gadget on it but I'll try next time I'm around one.

Quote:
and also there is no laptop which not throttles in this king of usage.
There are, they're just closer in size to desktops and this thread would just be full of a different kind of whining if apple released something similar.
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are wrong. The video test is a CPU + GPU benchmark so the heat increases a lot, and also there is no laptop which not throttles in this king of usage.
I'm wrong about what?

Start at 3 min 30 seconds:

Start at 4 min 17 seconds:

Not the same impact.

Quote:
In fact there are a few videos now in Youtube where using CPU only the i9 does not throttle during the same benchmarks.
That doesn't make the i9 model in question not throttle in these cases though.
Old 11 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I'm wrong about what?

Start at 3 min 30 seconds:

Start at 4 min 17 seconds:

Not the same impact.

That doesn't make the i9 model in question not throttle in these cases though.
You are wrong in everything you are telling, but you are free to believe what you want.
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are wrong in everything you are telling, but you are free to believe what you want.
"I know you are, but what am I?"
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthonymusic View Post
Once you get done installing if you'd like to contribute to the body of knowledge you could download the intel power gadget and run it during that heavy session and report back what the temps are while you're working in it. I'd be really interested to see! (And which MBP config do you have? i7 or i9?)
I’ve got the i9 32Mb 1Tb one. I won’t be doing the tests tho, as by the time i’ve done them, I could instead have found some sick samples that work together perfectly! I’ll pop back though after I’ve given it a proper work out, but it may not be for a while :/
Old 8 hours ago
It's All Good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
I’ve got the i9 32Mb 1Tb one. :/
Awesome... have fun.
Old 5 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
I won’t be doing the tests tho, as by the time i’ve done them
Sorry, didn't mean to imply I wanted some kind of elaborate testing! Just a download of the Intel Power Gadget and a quick peek @ the temp readout when you're in the middle of a heavy session. Would probably take less than a minute to set up, but I understand if that's not something you're willing to do. Regardless, enjoy the machine and thanks for checking in -- it's reassuring to hear of an i9 being used successfully in an audio production environment, seems only video guys have them ATM.
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Wade View Post
A laptop is a portable device that shouldn't be equipped with kit it can't manage, thermally or otherwise. Full stop.

Again, give it a month to get choked, after all it's a portable device that should handle different environments, right?

Still haven't seen if you void support if you open it to clean it regularly, as should be. I've had my XPS 17 apart 5 or 6 times to clean it and was horrified at what I found each time.
I noticed the trend with newer PC laptops getting harder to take apart and service. I wonder if Apple will follow that trend regardless of warranty?
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I noticed the trend with newer PC laptops getting harder to take apart and service. I wonder if Apple will follow that trend regardless of warranty?

I think Apple started that trend!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search