The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BOOM! i9 6-Core 32GB RAM 4TB SSD MacBook Pro released! Audio Interfaces
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can anyone with an i7 2.6 or 2.2 recreate this test? YouTube
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I just did a quickie test and it looks like about 187 tracks at 256, medium buffer LPX 10.4.1 on an i7 2.2 with 32GB and a 560x. I may have been lucky in the silicon lottery since this machine has an average GeekBench of 5000/23000. This has other process running (httpd, mysql and its decrypting a TM backup drive as well, so 3-4% overhead).

Hope that helps!
Dorian

PS. This is with the version of Evans downloaded from the evan.se site. Not sure if there's a more up to date version or not.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Does the laptop run hot, as Appleinsider reported?
I rendered a 4k clip in FCPX with some complex processing while actually having the laptop on my lap. Fans hit max and it became unbearably hot so close to my nether regions.

In general it runs pretty cool.

I just was trying to realtime bounce a session in Pro Tools on the 2013 MBP. It kept giving me the out of system resources error with fans on max. (It ran fine last night) I had to get the file out so I moved the session over to the i9 and connected my interface with a USB-C to thunderbolt adapter that I ordered from the Zon. The fans didn't even kick in while bouncing.

I read somewhere that the case was actually part of the heat management.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks for responses everyone.

Pulling the trigger tonight and still undecided between i9 32gb 512gb or i7 same with 1TB.

AI says only 5-10% increase with i9. I’m weary of hot laptops after 2011 and 2012.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Does anyone here think this article has any merit?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe.../#44190a6146a3
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone here think this article has any merit?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe.../#44190a6146a3
The current touchbar MBP’s were introduced last June, so no, they are not going to be replaced soon.
There is a possibility he’s talking about the entry-level non-touchbar MBP, but otherwise it reeks of clickbait.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

From what little I understand, article's titles are often created by someone other than the article's writer. This would seem to be the case here. The title refers to the very recently updated MBP while the article refers to the perhaps to be updated soon 12" Macbook.

Quote:
Apple may not be saying anything, but US retailers are making space on their MacBook shelves. Are they clearing stock ahead of an update to the macOS powered laptops?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

And it looks like the audio bug has hit me. USB audio in multiple apps (logic, YouTube, etc) has everything from random dropouts to constant crackle. Internal speakers seem ok, but that’s pretty useless for anything except casual listening. Not sure if I’ll try for a replacement or just return and wait for the next iteration in 2019.

This is a 2.2 with 560x and 32 gb.

Dorian
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

my 13" 2018 maxed out MacBook Pro has been f*cked since purchase with crackling audio in Ableton, logic, iTunes, safari. did all high Sierra updates and just updated to Mojave today with no improvement. getting a replacement from apple has been painful. I'm gonna try hackintoshing a Thinkpad t480s. pretty sure the t2 chip is to blame here. really nice to see apple using its pro users as a beta test for the bridgeos arm -> x86 operating system!

Last edited by maxwelldub; 2 weeks ago at 04:23 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
my 13" 2018 maxed out MacBook Pro has been f*cked since purchase with crackling audio in Ableton, logic, iTunes, safari. did all high Sierra updates and just updated to Mojave today with no improvement. getting a replacement from apple has been painful. I'm gonna try hackintoshing a Thinkpad t480s. pretty sure the t2 chip is to blame here. really nice to see apple using its pro users as a beta test for a bringe arm -> x86 operating system!
Man that sucks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I maybe have a dumb question, but need to ask

regarding working mainly with logic, my understanding is, that cpu overloads mainly occur because of bad processor spread of plugin on auxes/master out.

f.e. all plugins on the master out go to one core, no matter what the load on the other cores is, no?

so now I have a 2012 MBPr with 2.6 Ghz quad core, if I get a 2.2ghz 6-core, wouldn't it be kind of a step back regarding that issue?
I understand that I get 2 more cores, but a single core would maybe max out earlier than with my current MBP?

So in order to really get a better performance than now I have to go with the i9 or not?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancekid View Post
I maybe have a dumb question, but need to ask

regarding working mainly with logic, my understanding is, that cpu overloads mainly occur because of bad processor spread of plugin on auxes/master out.

f.e. all plugins on the master out go to one core, no matter what the load on the other cores is, no?

so now I have a 2012 MBPr with 2.6 Ghz quad core, if I get a 2.2ghz 6-core, wouldn't it be kind of a step back regarding that issue?
I understand that I get 2 more cores, but a single core would maybe max out earlier than with my current MBP?

So in order to really get a better performance than now I have to go with the i9 or not?
The new one should be faster even on a single core. You can't just judge it on clock speed alone because the newer processors have other improvements. Check out the single core scores on geekbench for example:
Mac Benchmarks
- Geekbench Browser
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

looking after your computer is better than selling your home for one
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by parricide View Post
Uh...what???
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Uh...what???
Makes sense. You can’t live in a computer.

Last edited by explorer; 2 weeks ago at 01:56 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
But pretty soon you will be able to. Upload yourself as an AI to a quantum computer you’re good to go. Not only will you live in a computer, but you will never have to freeze plugins again!

Last edited by lowkey; 2 weeks ago at 01:45 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
What has this got to do with anything, especially this thread?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

i was trying to say that you dont need to spend that much for a good computer. if you look after your machine you can get away with lower specs at a much lower price and performance would be fine in most cases.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
i was trying to say that you dont need to spend that much for a good computer. if you look after your machine you can get away with lower specs at a much lower price and performance would be fine in most cases.
But if you can afford it, what’s wrong with buying it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
But if you can afford it, what’s wrong with buying it?
true
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
Best response.

Also, welcome to the party, Apple, we've been at it for awhile

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search