The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using MOTU Ultralite MK4 + iConnectMidi4+ as Aggregate Device Audio Interfaces
Old 11th July 2018
Here for the gear

Using MOTU Ultralite MK4 + iConnectMidi4+ as Aggregate Device

I use an iConnectMidi4+ interface to route digital audio+midi between my Laptop, iPads and Desktop and was hoping to continue using it alongside a newly ordered Motu Ultralite Mk4 that I'm expecting delivery of later this week. The iCM4+ currently works great as an aggregate device w/ my Komplete Audio 6, but I was just now thinking of potential issues I might run into with the Motu. (still learning the ropes w/ studio gear)

Anyway, my question is fairly simple .. This will be my first experience with mid-high end interface, and from what I understand, the drivers are partly responsible for helping it to achieve the ultra-low latency, among other features. To run it as an aggregate device, I'm assuming I'll have to continue using asio4all
universal driver, and I'm wondering if that'll make it perform not quite as well as using the native Motu drivers? I suppose I could always toggle between the two drivers, depending on circumstance; but it'd be nice to know what to expect and if anyone has any suggestions for this use-case.

Thanks!
Old 11th July 2018
which DAW? I don't think you need to pull midi devices into the aggregate device. I used midi outs from multiple usb Keyboards and a BCR2K without issue along side my motu devices which are run in aggregate mode as well as separately. I've never used the Audio passthru feature. It will show up as another audio interface but it shouldn't matter unless you are using it for audio.
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Blacklilyorchard;13413905]which DAW? I don't think you need to pull midi devices into the aggregate device. I used midi outs from multiple usb Keyboards and a BCR2K without issue along side my motu devices which are run in aggregate mode as well as separately. I've never used the Audio passthru feature. It will show up as another audio interface but it shouldn't matter unless you are using it for audio.[/QUOTE

Currently using Ableton and Reason. Just now got the MOTU hooked up, running great. About to try the icMidi+ in standalone/non-aggregate like you suggested. That'd be excellent if at least the midi works that way.

I guess I could always use the it on my laptop and lightpipe the audio back to my MOTU, as I use the audio passthru quite a bit -- primary way I've been getting my iPad synths into my desktop daw.

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search