The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommended 7200 internal drives you use
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Recommended 7200 internal drives you use

With so many different hard drive manufacturers out there it's hard to know who to go with. I have always used WD green and Seagate baracuda drives.

What do you guys have the most success with?

These drives I am mostly thinking of using purely as back up drives. I have external drives so more focused this time on internal drives. I'm thinking around the 3 tb range. Cost is definitely a consideration.

Please let me know which have served you the best over time and which you would recommend.

Thanks
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I use WD Black drives. I have 4 in my MacPro here. No issues ever
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
I use WD Black drives. I have 4 in my MacPro here. No issues ever
Thanks for the input, i'll check em out
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
WD Black.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

If we're just talking about backup then the Blacks are probably the way to go, as you can pick them up dirt cheap on eBay.

Having said that, I have a couple of 10,000rpm Raptors that have served me well (as backups) for years now. They're probably fairly cheap now too, on eBay.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Like others have said, WD Black. Also I would not put any type of "green" drive in a DAW, even as just a media storage device. I don't like the idea of drives powering off and on while I might be streaming audio / VSTi etc. Too much can go wrong.

Last edited by loopy; 3 days ago at 02:28 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Been with WD Caviar Black since day dot. Well, since 2003 or so when other brands I tried quickly died on me.

I actually have 4 x 2TB Caviar Blacks to sell as I recently, as I do every 4 years or so, took a step up in capacity. They weren't used for any work - just periodic backups, so "as new", so to speak.

I've not had a single WD Black die on me or behave unusually, and I must've been through 16 by now. Impressive.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Once you go, Black, You never go back.

I have a couple 2005 WD Blacks still going strong.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Over the past 20 years I used to use mostly WD drives.
I'm not nearly as picky any more. I've had good and bad experiences with all the major manufacturers in my daw and in my day job where we use hard drives all the time on office equipment. All your printers are digital these days and they all have hard drives now. Allot of the drives fail because of bad data, not because of mechanical issues. Instead of throwing the old drives away I wipe and reformat them and I have stacks of them for storing redundant copies of music. The drives are a bit smaller ranging between 40 and 80 gigabytes but that's fine for storage purposes.

In the daw I run three 1T drives and I'm good on those for a year or two. Its the main drive that typically sees all the wear so keeping a cloned copy of the main drive is the way to go. Then you can swap out the main drive every year or two, then wipe it for storage space. I think I have the Seagate Barracuda drives in there at the moment. One might be a WD drive.

I had upgraded to SS drives but given the fact its an older computer, there were no performance improvement, in fact I'd say the performance was worse so I went back to using standard drives and it works solid all day long. If It were 20 years ago, I'd say definitely stick with WD but drives have been out a long time and you simply don't find the weaknesses in them like you used to. I cant remember the last time I've actually had one fail.

If you do want longevity, then simply go to the manufacturers site and look up how many read writes they can perform. That should give you an idea to their durability. Heat is the other. You keep them cool they will run years longer then drives that are poorly ventilated.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentnight View Post

Please let me know which have served you the best over time and which you would recommend.

Thanks
I have 10 HGST drives: 3x 3TB, 7x 2TB. They vary in age from 1 to 5 years. All are healthy. I also have 4x WD drives, about the same age range. All are healthy. I also have 2x 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001's that are fine.

Other than the two 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001's that failed, everything has been sunshine and unicorns.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I have a Toshiba with only 1 little TB but I've had it 6 yrs now no issues FWIW (and it's had something spilled on it ). I'm guessing (repeat guessing) that h/w is so good now that brands probably don't matter much any more.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I can't remember the last time.... no, I don't think I've ever bought a 7200rpm specifically for backups. I have a few 7200s in my backup group of drives, mostly because they ended up relegated there when I replaced them with higher capacity 7200rpm models for use in the daws (farm).

I pretty much buy the inexpensive green models when I need to add a backup drive. The newest 4-5tb drive I added is green and it backs stuff up plenty fast imo.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Like others have said, WD Black. Also I would not put any type of "green" drive in a DAW, even as just a media storage device. I don't like the idea of drives powering off and on while I might be streaming audio / VSTi etc. Too much can go wrong.
Agreed about WD Green drives. As the name implies (Green) they are power saving drives not meant for performance like Black and maybe Red or the new Gold. I disagree though about not using Green for storage or backups which they are fine for. While they are power saving drives they don't stop mid task, just when not in use. My brother bought me an external 3tb WD Elements drive which I'm pretty sure is Green which I use it for backups and music and video downloads. Never once did it stop playing a movie or music file midway. I did however temporarily use it as a Samples drive for NI Kontakt when my Samsung Samples Drive took a permanent nap before I replaced it with a WD Black. It performed surprisingly well except when in between breaks in the song when it had to be woken up again when the song started again, but for playing back movies or music files which are continuous it's fine.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

My concern is if the green drive was on the same controller as say a drive streaming VSTi samples it might have an effect on the bus when it goes into power saving mode. I realize the power saving code is in firmware on the drive but it still has to somehow let the system board's controller and operating system know it's going to sleep. For me it's just not worth the risk considering the price difference.

Call me paranoid

Now if I had a system on the network that was used for backups and archival storage then that would be different and if money were a factor, a green drive might be worth it.
I've had excellent results with WD Black and horrible results with Seagate Barracuda drives so I stick with WD Black. I buy them as bare drives (no installation kit) and usually from MicroCenter here in USA which typically have good prices.
Old 2 days ago
Ive probably used them all over the years and had ups and down with every manufacturer but Ive pretty much stuck with WD's of some sort for quite awhile now. They've just been the most consistent. My big 1TB storage drive is a black thats at least 9 years old, my audio drive is an older 320GB that I guess would be the equivalent of the blue or desktop line they have now, and my Time Machine external is a 4TB WD MyBook, which I think has a WD Red in it, at least thats what some people got in theirs. Only reason my 1TB system drive is a Seagate is because it came with my Mac Pro, so I left the old 200GB WD intact in my old Mac Pro just in case I need to use it one day. Ive had great years with Seagate "in the beginning" but at some point in the early 2000s their drives just went to crap. Maybe it was when they bought Maxtor who knows.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Here's another vote for the WD Black. I just purchased a 4TB - 256MB cache - 7200rpm model to eventually replace a couple of velociraptors @ 500GBs each and a 1TB WD Black which are still working well enough but are now 7 years old. Since I like to be "pre-emptive" and not "reactive", I'm now in the process of retiring them from my main audio workstation and moving them to another productivity desktop. And the price was reasonable at 175.00$ USD.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search