The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adding RAM to a laptop
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Adding RAM to a laptop

I should know this but I don't sue me...how easy is it typically to add RAM to a laptop? It is absolutely ridiculous how much more they charge for a laptop out of the gate from say 8GB RAM to 16, all other things being equal. I suspect the operation itself is easy enough, but what about compatibility etc, how standardized is that now days, been a long long time since I've messed with hardware.
Old 1 week ago
For the best results, you should at least match the CAS and latency timing, if possible. The laptop manufacturer may make those numbers available if they show you which specific RAM stick you should buy if you were going to upgrade using their overpriced RAM.

If you don't match the CAS and latency timing, both sticks of RAM may operate at the slowest common speed, instead of their fastest speed.

Also, be sure not to exceed the maximum amount of RAM the laptop can hold, which is usually 16 GB on newer models.

Steve
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thx but ?? on 16GB RAM as a max - even I know that basically all PCs today can well exceed that by quite a bit, tho I won't be any time soon.
Old 1 week ago
Most standard laptops today have a limit of 16 GB of RAM. Some high-end workstation, scientific or gaming laptops may offer more, but most standard laptops will only support 16 GB of RAM. I have researched and/or bought several for my clients in the last few years, and I know what the industry offers right now.

Desktops can support more, but you asked about laptops. Most standard laptops today only support up to 16 GB of RAM.

Steve
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Check your motherboard bios./spec's There on the manufacturer's website under support. Or try crucial.com they have a RAM calculator that will work out and tell you exactly which model ofDDR3/DDR4 and the speed at which it runs. 2400 MHz. example. Their prices are OK and they guaranteed for life. Or save a buck on eBay or Amazon. Good luck.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
Most standard laptops today have a limit of 16 GB of RAM. Some high-end workstation, scientific or gaming laptops may offer more, but most standard laptops will only support 16 GB of RAM. I have researched and/or bought several for my clients in the last few years, and I know what the industry offers right now.
No they don't, and sorry but no you don't. I'm guessing it's been a long time since you shopped?

Regardless, it's moot, I'm not likely to go above 16GB any time soon. I was thinking of buying a 4GB or 8GB machine and upgrading myself to 16, but not sure how the mix n match works these days...like some might only take 4GB sticks, etc. And how easy/not is it from a taking apart the laptop perspective? It's not like I can't/haven't, but I haven't mucked with stuff like that in a long time.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Adding RAM to a laptop is very easy. Make sure you buy SO-DIMM RAM (not DIMM).

Keep in mind RAM won't make up for any deficits your laptop's CPU has, so make sure the bottleneck is actually the RAM before you upgrade.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
And how easy/not is it from a taking apart the laptop perspective?
A laptop I bought a few years ago was easy, just a small latch covering the Ram area but my sister brought over a new model which required taking the entire back off. A bit more of a pain-in-the-azz than I expected but doable.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
No they don't, and sorry but no you don't. I'm guessing it's been a long time since you shopped?

Regardless, it's moot, I'm not likely to go above 16GB any time soon. I was thinking of buying a 4GB or 8GB machine and upgrading myself to 16, but not sure how the mix n match works these days...like some might only take 4GB sticks, etc. And how easy/not is it from a taking apart the laptop perspective? It's not like I can't/haven't, but I haven't mucked with stuff like that in a long time.
I have bought two laptops in the past two months for clients; six in the past two years. I suspect that's eight more than you've bought. By your own admission, you don't know how to mix RAM from other vendors, you don't know how to "take apart a laptop" (which isn't even remotely necessary for this), and you "haven't mucked with stuff like [this] in a long time". But you'll argue someone who routinely specs out, recommends and buys laptops for clients.

If you know so much, why the hell are you asking questions here?

You were an argumentative jerk in a previous post about using 15-year-old, unsupported NI software. I should have listened to the people who dismissed you in that post, because it seems you do this kind of nonsense often. (Kontakt vs Kompakt)

If you think you have all the answers (and you obviously don't), please don't bother wasting the time of other people who are trying to help others, or those would like to learn something here. Posting questions, arguing out of ignorance and then being rude to people when you don't like the answer helps no one.

I won't bother trying to help you in the future. I should have heeded the warnings of others in previous posts. Thankfully, GS lets me block you so that I don't have to see any more of your nonsense.

Steve
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
I have bought two laptops in the past two months for clients; six in the past two years. I suspect that's eight more than you've bought. By your own admission, you don't know how to mix RAM from other vendors, you don't know how to "take apart a laptop" (which isn't even remotely necessary for this), and you "haven't mucked with stuff like [this] in a long time". But you'll argue someone who routinely specs out, recommends and buys laptops for clients.
...and yet still hasn't the vaguest clue what they're talking about. Don't take my word for it though; a little online internet search will show you all you need to know about 32GB and even 64GB RAM in laptops for sale at Best Buy, Newegg, etc etc. Thank God I'm not one of your clients.

Quote:
If you know so much, why the hell are you asking questions here?
I never said I "knew so much." In fact when it comes to hardware, I pointed out that I don't. You're the one touting yourself as some alleged expert.

I merely pointed out your error in your 16GB RAM max assertion. You're probably pitching a hissy now because you're either outraged that someone dare question your (obviously questionable) expertise, or embarrassed that someone who doesn't even do this for a living like you do pointed out your glaring error. I really don't care which, but you have some serious growing up to do.

If someone pointing out an error you made is so horribly offensive to you, maybe you should get better at being correct. Also an anger management class wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
You were an argumentative jerk in a previous post about using 15-year-old, unsupported NI software. I should have listened to the people who dismissed you in that post, because it seems you do this kind of nonsense often. (Kontakt vs Kompakt)
lol @ attacking me and then calling ME an argumentative jerk. Not that I'm surprised.

Pretending that has any relevance to this thread, wrong again; I asked for some info and one guy instead of answering gave me an attitude, and I called him on it. Kind of like you're doing now and I'm doing the same.

Quote:
If you think you have all the answers
Once more: I never said or implied that, but you clearly enjoy making up your own realities; enjoy.

Quote:
please don't bother wasting the time of other people who are trying to help others, or those would like to learn something here.
That remark is just gushing with irony.

Quote:
arguing out of ignorance and then being rude to people when you don't like the answer
One thing you are good at is the pot-meet-kettle routine. That's like what, the fourth time, all in one post? I simply pointed out your error, and you come back and call me names, twist my words, basically spit all over me and generally pitch a fit.

But I'm the rude one. OK.

It had nothing to do with "liking" the answer. It was simply incorrect. Get over it.

Quote:
I won't bother trying to help you in the future.
At least this had a happy ending.

Thanks to those who helped and were able to do it in a civil, adult way.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I did mine a few years ago adding 4gb to already existing 4gb. It was almost as easy as changing the batteries in a boom box. There was a small door attached by only one screw. Once removed, there's a little spring trip thingie to position the RAM receptacles from parallel to the motherboard to perpendicular. There was one populated receptacle and one unpopulated which is where you would plug in the new RAM stick. Fold the receptacles back to parallel making sure the lock/latch is secure and reinstall the door/screw. There are plenty of YouTube videos illustrating the very easy procedure.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR53 View Post
I did mine a few years ago adding 4gb to already existing 4gb. It was almost as easy as changing the batteries in a boom box. There was a small door attached by only one screw.
Most newer laptops require taking the whole back off unfortunately. They're making them harder to service yourself. Especially Notebooks.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah the one I have now (about 1.5 yrs old) has like 10-12 screws you'd have to unscrew, no separate latches or doors. What an idiotic design. This is the kind of thing that concerns me; I'll save money by getting a laptop with say 4GB RAM planning to upgrade and it'll be a nightmare.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Most respectable/responsible (or established) laptop makers will a) show you how to replace or upgrade ram cards, in their user manuals and b) tell you what's already fitted.... and the maximum possible that can be fitted. They'll also include the speed specs of the RAM cards, so you don't go out and buy the wrong ones
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I find it fascinating that this discussion got this far without exploring the density available in the SO-DIMM form factor, any model-specific limitations imposed by the number of slots, the manufacturer's firmware, and the manufacturer's marketing department's 'positioning'.

When searching for SO-DIMM's, the highest density I was able to find are 16GB each. A standard laptop only has 2 SO-DIMM slots, so that's the first ceiling. There are a few super-gamer laptops with 4 slots. Certainly they don't have an appearance anywhere near a standard laptop form factor. The body gets rather thicker. That makes sense in that the low-profile of the RAM slot would have to be spread over a wider footprint to allow four slots. Stacking/shingling allows room for other stuff.

The next ceiling is whether the manufacturer wants to allow/admit that their firmware can/will run bigger RAM configurations. My 2011 MacBook Pro officially only allowed 2x4GB SO-DIMMs for 8GB total, but I've been running 2x8GB for 16GB total over the past 6 years. It was rather common that ThinkPads would limit total RAM size by firmware within specific models. I don't know if that tradition continued under Lenovo.

So, let's trot out those product names, specs, and model numbers. That would make this discussion much more fruitful for the archives, and save us all some research time as we seek to match the newly-announced i9 MacBook Pro hardware on a Windows-10 platform.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search