The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best SSL Buss Compressor Plugin
Old 1 week ago
A seriously overlooked and underrated bus compressor is the CLA MixDown. Been trying to get the hang of Sand 3 lately. MixDown I find myself returning to over and over. It feels similar to the Waves SSL G-Comp but for some reason I like it more than any other mix bus plug I’ve ever used.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth House Guest View Post
A seriously overlooked and underrated bus compressor is the CLA MixDown. Been trying to get the hang of Sand 3 lately. MixDown I find myself returning to over and over. It feels similar to the Waves SSL G-Comp but for some reason I like it more than any other mix bus plug I’ve ever used.
The original G-Comp was pretty bad IMHO. Unlike a real one, you could barely push it without it giving out/gunking up.

Waves have improved their modeling over the years, so no doubt MixDown sounds better.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Looking back over the years (at least 10-15?) my "SSL BUS COMP PLUG-IN" story goes something like...

Waves G-Comp (trash would never go back to it)
Duende Bus Comp
Slate FG-Grey/IK bus comp

but the one I've been using in modern times and that puts the rest in the shade for *my* needs, is the stunning BX_Townhouse as many have mentioned. I'm good with that now and need look no further. It's about as far from the crappy action/sonics on the Waves one as you can get. night/day.
Old 1 week ago
[QUOTE=doom64;14252856]The original G-Comp was pretty bad IMHO. Unlike a real one, you could barely push it without it giving out/gunking up.

You’ve gotta know the tricks man! No one uses just one instance of that plugin.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
Looking back over the years (at least 10-15?) my "SSL BUS COMP PLUG-IN" story goes something like...

Waves G-Comp (trash would never go back to it)
Duende Bus Comp
Slate FG-Grey/IK bus comp

but the one I've been using in modern times and that puts the rest in the shade for *my* needs, is the stunning BX_Townhouse as many have mentioned. I'm good with that now and need look no further. It's about as far from the crappy action/sonics on the Waves one as you can get. night/day.
Townhouse is good. Have you tried Sand yet?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sonimus Satson CS Bus Comp barely gets mentioned on GS and I guess it flew under the radar of many...

Attack times are not stepped (0.01, 0.1, 0.3...) as usual but the rest is the same. Together with the Satson channel input stage a great combo.

In many cases prefer it to the Glue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I mentioned earlier that the Townhouse was the top of my G compressor list. I still love it, but I recently re-discovered the Slate Grey Bus Compressor. Damn it sounds GREAT!
Old 1 week ago
Would anyone care to tell me what you are using these SSL comps for? Like sometimes people will tell me "Its amazing" "best ssl emu ever" you know all the stuff people say every time something new comes out. When it doesn't work for me, Ill go and look at examples of people using it with good results. Ya know, to see what I'm not getting. Maybe Im pushing it too hard? etc.

Inevitably, when I get to see the plug in action (youtube shootout or whatever,) Its almost always some bare bones electronic song! Im mixing massive swirling shoegaze guitars with layers if acoustic and a killer drummer in a sea of distortion and feedback. So, how well a compressor handles EDM doesn't really help me.

Is there anyone here who can recommend SSL style Bus comps they like for music thats not electronic?

Btw I know Ill catch sh*t for this, but if you want to know a little secret about mixing EDM, It doesn't matter what compressor plugin you use. It always sounds the same. Shhh
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
I mentioned earlier that the Townhouse was the top of my G compressor list. I still love it, but I recently re-discovered the Slate Grey Bus Compressor. Damn it sounds GREAT!
Not used that in years! Value your opinion so will check it out again.

BTW - have you tested Vertigo VSC-3 or AA's Sand3? Both are much closer to my HW. Especially Sand3. The SSL bus comp in DMG TrackComp is very good too (so is the new API 2500 in the beta version).
Old 1 week ago
wm9
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Sonimus Satson CS Bus Comp barely gets mentioned on GS and I guess it flew under the radar of many...

Attack times are not stepped (0.01, 0.1, 0.3...) as usual but the rest is the same. Together with the Satson channel input stage a great combo.

In many cases prefer it to the Glue.
+1 to the Satson CS bus comp. Has been my go to until the recent SAND 3. Now I use them both
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
DMG TrackComp's G-Bus sounds amazing and electric. Can't wait for Dave to optimize 2k5's code, as it sounds equally glorious but puts my fast computer on its knees.
Vertigo Sound VSC-3 is like a classy, deluxe relecture of an SSL comp, I love it. Incredibly versatile as well.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm9 View Post
+1 to the Satson CS bus comp. Has been my go to until the recent SAND 3. Now I use them both
Another vote for the Satson here. Satson CS is used a ton and the compressor is fantastic. I think the issue is with it not getting the buzz it deserves is Sonimus packed one of the greatest SSL style compressors in a channel strip so people don't look at it and think "bus compressor" or immediately think about the compressor.
Old 1 week ago
wm9
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
Another vote for the Satson here. Satson CS is used a ton and the compressor is fantastic. I think the issue is with it not getting the buzz it deserves is Sonimus packed one of the greatest SSL style compressors in a channel strip so people don't look at it and think "bus compressor" or immediately think about the compressor.
This happens even for me as user, sometimes I reach for other comps because I don’t need a whole channel strip, which is absurd since you can remove the other modules. I need to remind myself that it can be used as a stand-alone bus compressor
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
Yep I think it is is a "mistake" too, I tried to share this opinion with them but they disagreed. Well I am happy to have it anyway, even if I am not a big SSL comp user.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
It's easy enough to create a preset with the compressor alone so there's no problem using it that way, but it's not my first thought either. I just have to train myself to think of it as a buss compressor as well as a channel strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm9 View Post
This happens even for me as user, sometimes I reach for other comps because I don’t need a whole channel strip, which is absurd since you can remove the other modules. I need to remind myself that it can be used as a stand-alone bus compressor
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Not used that in years! Value your opinion so will check it out again.

BTW - have you tested Vertigo VSC-3 or AA's Sand3? Both are much closer to my HW. Especially Sand3. The SSL bus comp in DMG TrackComp is very good too (so is the new API 2500 in the beta version).
A buddy of mine—who I respect—uses the Slate Grey a ton. Made me revisit it.

I haven't tried any of the compressors you suggested. I will though. I'm addicted to my trusty HW Focusrite Red 3 (in and out transformers).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
A buddy of mine—who I respect—uses the Slate Grey a ton. Made me revisit it.

I haven't tried any of the compressors you suggested. I will though. I'm addicted to my trusty HW Focusrite Red 3 (in and out transformers).
Look forward to your thoughts. FYI on Sand3, comp A = console quad bus comp, B = modified modern bus comp, C = G channel comp.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would anyone care to tell me what you are using these SSL comps for? Like sometimes people will tell me "Its amazing" "best ssl emu ever" you know all the stuff people say every time something new comes out. When it doesn't work for me, Ill go and look at examples of people using it with good results. Ya know, to see what I'm not getting. Maybe Im pushing it too hard? etc.

Inevitably, when I get to see the plug in action (youtube shootout or whatever,) Its almost always some bare bones electronic song! Im mixing massive swirling shoegaze guitars with layers if acoustic and a killer drummer in a sea of distortion and feedback. So, how well a compressor handles EDM doesn't really help me.

Is there anyone here who can recommend SSL style Bus comps they like for music thats not electronic?

Btw I know Ill catch sh*t for this, but if you want to know a little secret about mixing EDM, It doesn't matter what compressor plugin you use. It always sounds the same. Shhh
developing an SSL (or other) mixbus compression-ear took me a while years ago and still to this day it‘s something where I really listen closely. Ppl use it differently. I belong to the ones compressing just 2dB or so.

You can use it on any music with drums/beat, not just electronic stuff. The effect I go for is a slight tightening up, maybe a gentle nuance of more „tock, knock or pck“ on the transient, depending on how you set the attack.

I often listen on lower volume when setting the bus comp. I‘d call this VCA SSL type bus compression „firm“ or „dry“.

Back to Satson Bus comp:

After my previous post I focused a lot on this plugin today and really fell in love with the sound.

Having the ability to switch from stereo to dual-mono makes it even better.
Old 1 week ago
XDX
Here for the gear

SSL is too mainstream, for super original shoegaze you need to match it with an equally obscure compressor, like the Siemens U273 or something

SSL is great though, you can do a lot with one, for any genre of music. Set it to 10:1, auto release, and max threshold, good way to just catch those few peaks in a limiter-ish way. Or the Andy Wallace way of having the needle always around 4-6. There is also a 4:1, fast attack/release setting a lot of modern metal guys use, that just ducks the mix on the snare hits.

Also works well as a vocal comp.

I've been sticking with The Glue for such a long time, I really like that one.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDX View Post
SSL is too mainstream, for super original shoegaze you need to match it with an equally obscure compressor, like the Siemens U273 or something

SSL is great though, you can do a lot with one, for any genre of music. Set it to 10:1, auto release, and max threshold, good way to just catch those few peaks in a limiter-ish way. Or the Andy Wallace way of having the needle always around 4-6. There is also a 4:1, fast attack/release setting a lot of modern metal guys use, that just ducks the mix on the snare hits.

Also works well as a vocal comp.

I've been sticking with The Glue for such a long time, I really like that one.
Yeah the Waves SSL comp with the Needle sitting on 4 was my set and forget for a long time. Turn the make up gain down to zero and then put the IK Fairchild Comp after it with the MS Width preset on. Then always PAs Bax EQ. That was a killer mixbus set up that always worked. I don’t know why I moved on but I should try it again and see if it’s still ole faithful.
Old 5 days ago
In my blind shootout around here that trashy old Waves still gets more fav votes over an XRack hardware SSL than the Slate or townhouse, so it all depends I guess.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
In my blind shootout around here that trashy old Waves still gets more fav votes over an XRack hardware SSL than the Slate or townhouse, so it all depends I guess.

No, no. The waves SSL comp is full of digital rot! It can’t be good. It’s over 10 years old.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

For me, I use it as an alternative to the 1176 all-buttons in or API 2500 in busses. So, lots of gain reduction then blended back subtly into the mix. Attack at fastest setting, release at the fastest setting or somewhere in the middle, ratio depends on tracks but usually 10:1.

It also gets used to shave 2 to 3 decibels off a full mix. Primarily rock, folk and rap mixes. A lot of people like to mix with it on from the beginning of a mix. Settings are 4:1 ratio, slowest attack time and fastest release. Sidechain filter optional.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
30ms attack, autorelease, 4:1, 2 to 4dB of GR and sometimes a bit of sidechain HPF (usually set quite low / according to the fundamental of the kick) is my usual starting point on my mixbus. I rarely compress individual tracks. For what it worth I produce non-EDM electronic music (with some shoegazey walls of sounds and noise at times, ah!).
I’ll go for TrackComp if I want that raw, electric, funky movement enhancing, and I’ll pick VSC-3 when aiming for similar groove in a more elegant way. Both plugins are stunningly good really.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Mark ‘Spike’ Stent uses 30ms attack, fastest release and 2:1 on mixbus. He’s now using a plugin version but I can’t tell you which one (no idea but guessing the UAD). With my hardware, I’ve gone over to 2:1 because in a lot of cases the 4:1 can be too punchy. I was always 4:1 in software. I’m a 4db GR guy too!
Old 2 days ago
I like that the XRack version has the 3:1 ratio, that's what I've been using most of the time lately. Also 30ms attack, fastest release. Rarely hit 4db on the meter, though, always seems too much.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
1- Nebula TimP L-Bus
That^ or...the real deal! Via Access Analog which I highly suggest people try.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young.baws View Post
(by the way these Tim P libraries are killer: Rstate Model D, Tube Mid range EQ, Surge-eq, CTen61 v2, El Enhancer v2, Dual Tech Tube Passive EQ v2, Vari-Level & OPTO32)
Love C1061, Tube Mid Range and his Blue MU.
I basically only use his stuff in Nebula
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianjackson View Post
Love C1061, Tube Mid Range and his Blue MU.
I basically only use his stuff in Nebula
I’ve got a lot of the acqua stuff (Sand 3, El Rey, Honey, Cola, Taupe a few more.) So what’s the deal with Nebula? Like explain it for a dummy like me. Is it one plugin you buy, is it a host for plugins to buy, is it better than say Sand 3? Like I totally don’t get it but I’d be all in if I knew the advantages over the stuff I’ve got already. Because Nebula is not cheap.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I’ve got a lot of the acqua stuff (Sand 3, El Rey, Honey, Cola, Taupe a few more.) So what’s the deal with Nebula? Like explain it for a dummy like me. Is it one plugin you buy, is it a host for plugins to buy, is it better than say Sand 3? Like I totally don’t get it but I’d be all in if I knew the advantages over the stuff I’ve got already. Because Nebula is not cheap.
Nebula 4 is like buying a Super Nintendo.

Nebula Programs are like the games for it.

You’re right, it’s def not cheap to buy, I believe I paid $300. The programs are cheap, ranging from $10-$50

Technically, Anyone with the knowledge of how to sample hardware can do so, and have the ability to sell their own ‘programs’ for you to buy to run in N4 but
There are only a handful of developers 3rd party developers that are doing so.

After buying many programs, I gravitate to Tim Petherick the most out of anyone as I believe he does the best work.

Personally, I much rather would like to see them all develop Acquas and find a better way to organize it so people don’t have to buy N4, (it’s all the same technology.....) but like I said that’s the only way to access Tim’s work at the moment. Many who have tried his stuff will say it’s the best you can get ITB at the moment. I think so too.

Check out the thread ‘Nebula must have’ for more info if it’s something you’re interested in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search