The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo 3D Is Here Audio Interfaces
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Metric Halo 3D Is Here

http://www.mhsecure.com/3dEarlyAccess/3dIntro.html

Metric Halo 3D is here.

A fresh 3D thread to discuss questions about the new interface, what will it do for you (apparently it does not integrate with Alexa, wtf MH? /s), general 'holy sh!t, this thing looks amazing!" "why doesn't MH...?" and "when will...?" comments and (hopefully soon) new user experiences.

OT comments and personal insults, as always, will not be moderated.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

What happened to the support of more than one computer to connect to a system of mios?
Still possible?
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

at last a new MH mixer!

So excited.

Will proceed with upgrade right away

Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhard View Post
What happened to the support of more than one computer to connect to a system of mios?
Still possible?
It’s been discussed and tested a bit. BJ will have to tell you where on the roadmap that will appear. I believe we will get that around the time individual mix control for musicians rolls outs as both involve ways of dealing with multiple clients logged in to the console.
Old 16th June 2018
Gear Addict

Got my 3D card for my ULN8 @ $99 !
Praise the gods !
I didn’t receive an email from MH, but got a receipt from PayPal. That should suffice ?
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

wiating for my confirmation too.... I suspect that they're getting more orders than the 2D universe
Old 16th June 2018
Has anyone successfully taken advantage of the $99 discount price? I'm getting an error message about being unable to verify my serial numbers.
Old 16th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrk View Post
Has anyone successfully taken advantage of the $99 discount price? I'm getting an error message about being unable to verify my serial numbers.

Someone on the list had an issue with entering their # and BJ responded:

"The two-digit prefixes are as follows:

ULN-8: 25
LIO-8: 26
ULN-2: 22
2882: 21

Just add the S/N shown in MIO Console to form the full serial number.

So, for example, if you have a LIO-8, 00232, the full serial number is 2600232."

There was an issue where people in the US were having problems finalizing the sale online due to a glitch but BJ fixed that one so try again, it may work now : )

Last edited by rboy; 16th June 2018 at 05:31 PM..
Old 16th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Can't believe it, and can't wait to try it. As a home recordist, the ability to have a ULN-2 at the desk, and put a 2882 in the next room for tracking with just a CAT5 cable between is fantastic. All the other updates ice the cake... significantly. (Almost as much icing as cake now, hahaha.)
Old 16th June 2018
Gear Guru

This thing is amazing. I can't wait for you guys to get it. I'm building my whole studio around 5 3d boxes.
Old 16th June 2018
My unit was purchased from a local dealer here in Norway after March 2014...is the unit not eligible if the dealer placed the order with MH before this? :-(
Old 16th June 2018
cme
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
My unit was purchased from a local dealer here in Norway after March 2014...is the unit not eligible if the dealer placed the order with MH before this? :-(
I'm no expert, but MH is usually very good to take into consideration issues like this. The best thing to do would be to contact them directly. I believe it would work off of when you first registered it. So you should be okay anyway, but if not I'm sure they'll work something out. Especially if you can prove you bought it after March 2014.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

I have a bit of confusion as to which edge cards can work with which interfaces.
And since my 2882 comes with one, can I trade it for a different one? Or get some credit for it, or something, towards one of the others?
Would a 4x adat work in the 2882? That'd be crazy channel count!!
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejon View Post
I have a bit of confusion as to which edge cards can work with which interfaces.
And since my 2882 comes with one, can I trade it for a different one? Or get some credit for it, or something, towards one of the others?
Would a 4x adat work in the 2882? That'd be crazy channel count!!
Every edge card works in a 2882. Also, I have a 4x ADAT edge card and it’s a hoot to have those to accommodate some older converters I still have . Works great.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
Every edge card works in a 2882. Also, I have a 4x ADAT edge card and it’s a hoot to have those to accommodate some older converters I still have . Works great.
Does it mean that you have now a total of 5 ADAT on a 2882 ?

All available for recording simultaneously ?

5 x 8 + 8 = 48 inputs with just a 2882 !!!
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
Does it mean that you have now a total of 5 ADAT on a 2882 ?

All available for recording simultaneously ?

5 x 8 + 8 = 48 inputs with just a 2882 !!!
Yes
You would have 5 ADAT inputs plus your analog IO so 48 channels both directions in that unit, the analog will do up to 96 sampling rate but you’d need to SMUX the ADAT if you worked at that sample rate. At 1x sample rates it’s 48 channels both ways.

(Even more channels for people who use the MADI card!)
Old 16th June 2018
Gear Addict

I have a couple old apogee ad16x ad/da
Wonder how I could hook those up if I got the aes db25 card in my uln8. It’s weird though, maybe I need a special cable made that splits the I/0
As the ad16 uses two db25 cables for ins and the da had two for the outs.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Is MH Link using Dante/Ravenna/AVB or have they developed their own protocol?
Old 16th June 2018
Here for the gear

Anyone knows if the digital IOs already present on the ULN-8 have to be replaced by new MH edgebus cards?

That phrase on the "early access" page leads me to believe so: "It replaces all the digital & computer interfacing on your hardware with up-to-date, cutting-edge implementations."

Would mean we have to buy a MH Edgebus AES x8 card to replace what we already had on the box no?
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valp View Post
Anyone knows if the digital IOs already present on the ULN-8 have to be replaced by new MH edgebus cards?

That phrase on the "early access" page leads me to believe so: "It replaces all the digital & computer interfacing on your hardware with up-to-date, cutting-edge implementations."

Would mean we have to buy a MH Edgebus AES x8 card to replace what we already had on the box no?
no, the upgrade retains the aes i/o on the uln-8.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Is MH Link using Dante/Ravenna/AVB or have they developed their own protocol?
It’s their own protocol. There has been much discussion about the possibility of edge cards supporting those formats. Any news on that front would have to come from BJ.
Old 17th June 2018
Gear Addict

Does the 3d card upgrade the AD/DA of the ULN-2 and 2882 to be equal to the ULN-8/LIO-8?

Has there been any improvements to the AD/DA?
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Does the 3d card upgrade the AD/DA of the ULN-2 and 2882 to be equal to the ULN-8/LIO-8?

Has there been any improvements to the AD/DA?
None of the AD/DA is changed with 3D.
It’s possible that could be as option in the future, BJ would have to comment on that.
Possibly some future edge card.
That said, because of the clocking (I think) my interfaces all sound better with 3D
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
It’s their own protocol. There has been much discussion about the possibility of edge cards supporting those formats. Any news on that front would have to come from BJ.
Thanks for the info.
Old 17th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep View Post
if I got the aes db25 card in my uln8. It’s weird though, maybe I need a special cable made that splits the I/0
As the ad16 uses two db25 cables for ins and the da had two for the outs.
Yes you would need custom AES cables in Tascam pinout. Totally doable and this is how I intend to proceed. Two ULN-8s + One AD16x + one DA16x
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quick question... my files are stored on a NAS and accessed over a wired network connection. Will I be able to share my single network port between a 3D and CAT6 network? Or is this one of these proprietary busses that can’t be shared with other network traffic? thanks!
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

PLEASE let there be an Edgecard with additional analog Ins & Outs. I would gladly like to replace my AES I/O for this. But I saw in the ULN backside pic I would not loose the AES as it is on the other side but probably gain extra line Dsubs for ins and outs.

Please BJ is this card coming??

And then another question is: can we finally fully automate the new mixer via a control surface using ethernet or midi?
Old 17th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
PLEASE let there be an Edgecard with additional analog Ins & Outs.

Please BJ is this card coming??
Would be nice! I've got two LIO8s used for 16 D/A into an outboard mixbuss. If they created an Edgecard that housed a DSUB with 8 additional D/A, I could clear up some rackspace! Assuming it's even mechanically possible to cram it all in there, it would cost a lot more than those digital Edgecards, but less than two units.

He did say additional analog was possible, but not offered at this time.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Oh and please make a dedicated tape plugin! I'd love to have a versatile great sounding tape plug on my MIO hardware platform.
Old 17th June 2018
Gear Addict

signed on for my ULN-2 in waiting
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search