The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metric Halo 3D Is Here
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Guru

To trash prefs hold the option key and select library from Go menu. Open preferences and drop until you see MIOConsole 3D. Trash it.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

There are no lights on the front of the ULN8? I know this will come off as 'duh, swafford', but make sure the wall plug is secure in the ULN8 power supply line lump. It doesn't take much to pull it out a little (I do this all the time when I'm rearranging my rack) and prevent the power getting to the unit. If I remember correctly, the power lump has a little light on it indicating it is getting power...or maybe it doesn't...
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
There are no lights on the front of the ULN8?

If I remember correctly, the power lump has a little light on it indicating it is getting power...or maybe it doesn't...

There are no lights on the front of the ULN8.
Yes the little blue light on the power adaptor is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
To trash prefs hold the option key and select library from Go menu. Open preferences and drop until you see MIOConsole 3D. Trash it.
I did it and rebooted the Mac but it does not. The ULN8 still off. No light at all on the front panel :(

Mio says the unit is offline :(

Quote:
And you've rebooted Mac?

This used to happen very occasionally a long, long time ago ith 2d. This is 3d, right?

Trying unplugging the power cable from the ULN. Let it completely drain for 10 minutes or more. Take another break. Reboot Mac. Maybe reset the pram. Open console. Plug ULN-8 back. Do the lights jump on front panel when you boot it?

Then the last thing I have is to trash the prefs. There's a folder call MIOConsole 3d. Just drag thos into the trash and empty.

Try again.

Good luck.
Yes, i rebooted the Mac.I left it unplugged for more than 1 hour. I came back and followed the your guide lines but still nothing :(

I just received guidance Jon @MH. I will remove the top cover and check things as he suggested and will report back hoping it will help solve it and inform people.

Tanks again
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Guru

Ok. Jon is the best! Second only to B.J. HE WILL GUIDE YOU much better than I can. Good luck man!
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Ok. Jon is the best! Second only to B.J. HE WILL GUIDE YOU much better than I can. Good luck man!
Thank you! I took pictures on the uln8 inside and sent it to Jon. There were no lights at all inside. Cross fingers.
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Head

Waiing for PB10 release with beter sound... had the apollo in here and it was giving MH a hiding. I still believe in MH!
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXBOSS View Post
Waiing for PB10 release with beter sound... had the apollo in here and it was giving MH a hiding. I still believe in MH!
A better SOUND?? Wow. You gotta go with where your ears and heart takes you. Just get the Apollo then. I think the SOUND of the ULNB-8 3d is remarkable. YMMV.
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXBOSS View Post
In what way was Apollo giving MH a 'hiding'? Not doubting your ears just curious about what you're hearing.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergreeny View Post
In what way was Apollo giving MH a 'hiding'? Not doubting your ears just curious about what you're hearing.
I asked him this in another thread where he spoke of the Apollo giving MH a 'whipping'. He started talking about dynamic range and THD specs together with some explanation (if you can call it that) that made no sense. The fact he's now on here pretending to expect the next beta to give better sound (we can see where that's building to, post beta release), kind of explains what he is.
Old 23rd January 2020
Deleted e09cd8e
Lol spec sheet chasing. Metric Halo has always sounded better than the Apollo stuff.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e09cd8e View Post
Lol spec sheet chasing. Metric Halo has always sounded better than the Apollo stuff.
It seems to me that MH stuff, especially the new 3D on the LIO-8/ULN-8 devices, is hard, if not impossible, to top.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Anbody knows what’s with the german distributor? Trying to reach him since several weeks in order to buy another LIO8. He’s cool guy, always helpful.... maybe my mails landed in spam folder. If there’s an issue there, I hope I can order directly from the US webstore?
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Nut
This is their Email; from where they sent to me my billing/ Rechnung. From his secretary I think.

[email protected]
Audiologistik
Kirchweg 3
21382 Brietlingen
Deutschland
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Danke, Johannes!

I've got [email protected], maybe the office is better, gonna try that.

Grüsse aus Zürich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes w1 View Post
This is their Email; from where they sent to me my billing/ Rechnung. From her secretary I think.

[email protected]
Audiologistik
Kirchweg 3
21382 Brietlingen
Deutschland
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

PB9 has been pretty stable for me until today, when I got an error message saying that my computer system was out of application memory. Apparently MIO console was using 130.13 GB of memory all of a sudden, and I had to just force restart the computer.

Submitted a crash report but curious if anybody else had that experience.

-Mike
Old 23rd January 2020
Here for the gear

Hi, had a lot of problems with the pb9 until I find a way.
The lio8 was detected and seemed to respond correctly in the mixer but no sound was coming in the hosts configured tracks. The lio8 hanged randomly when I tried to reboot it trying to solve this problem.
Finally it was really easy. I have this problem every time I boot the system, then I just have to quit the mixer and relaunch it once or twice, some times one or two more times. And the sound is coming in the mixer.
Now, my biggest issue is the delivery delay! I ordered another upgrade by November the 12th and still waiting it. Last time I checked with the french distributor it should come soon...
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

PB9's been really solid for me. I've had the same session file up for a week straight with the LIO, ULN8, ULN2 and computer on the whole time with out an issue. That last release would never do that without a reboot occasionally when it went to sleep.

>knock on wood<
Old 23rd January 2020
Quote:
PS - I rarely turn the ULN-8s off, especially in the middle of a session. Long breaks I just keep 'em going.
My studio MIO never gets turned off and on location, once things are up and running, I never disturb it. Even if there is an overnight break.

I'm wondering if your power supply has gone bad. It's possible that even with the light on, it's not providing enough power, or a cable in the connector has become disconnected. It's not unknown for the the power supplies to go bad. See if you have another power supply of the correct voltage and polarity that will fit in the coaxial connector. I try to always have a spare.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Mine is all location recording, so everything gets shut off at the end of the session or the day.

Once I’m set up at the location I boot up fresh and recall one of several saved MIO configurations. I have the preferences set so that recalling the saved configuration resets everything about the box, theoretically giving it a fresh start every day.

-Mike
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
Danke, Johannes!

I've got [email protected], maybe the office is better, gonna try that.

Grüsse aus Zürich
Yes, [email protected] that's the email I've been using and Anne Bierkamp has been tremendously fast and accurate in her replies and support. She even answered within 20 minute to a message I sent on New Year's Eve.

The whole crew is just back from NAMM so you can guess they have been busy and will be back on track very soon.
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
It seems to me that MH stuff, especially the new 3D on the LIO-8/ULN-8 devices, is hard, if not impossible, to top.
Absolutely. My ULN8 handles conversion exactly the way I have been wishing for: a process I don't have to worry about any more.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

I don't miss the Prism Lyra, says it all for me. I bought the LIO-8 due to needing additional IO, but it's turned out to be the heart my system.

Like the dude's rug, it ties the room together.

I rank it up there with my Trinnov ST2, Kii Three's and LTL Silver Bullet; would buy again in an instant if starting from fresh. TOTL.
Old 24th January 2020
Here for the gear

Exclamation help

I'm assuming the biggest perks of the 3d is the networking capabilities, new GUI, and Catalina compatibility?

Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to connect this to a modern computer? My 2882 uses firewire 400 connectivity. The device itself works well and I want to keep using it without buying a whole new interface. Are there any reliable adapters or dongles to do this?

Thanks
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyRobber View Post
I'm assuming the biggest perks of the 3d is the networking capabilities, new GUI, and Catalina compatibility?

Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to connect this to a modern computer? My 2882 uses firewire 400 connectivity. The device itself works well and I want to keep using it without buying a whole new interface. Are there any reliable adapters or dongles to do this?

Thanks
The biggest benefit is better sound due to upgraded conversion/clock.

You can use USB or Ethernet. Can't get much better than that for connectivity!
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:

Thanks

B.J. gave me (via [email protected]) these practical advices:

"There are three choices here:

Get a USB-C to GigE adapter (Anker, Belkin, etc.). These, by and large, use the Realtek chipset. While these work with the built-in Apple driver, the performance is not great. It is important to install the Realtek driver; this may be supplied by the adapter vendor, or it can be downloaded (with some difficulty) from Realtek. If you go this route, and are having trouble getting the driver, get in touch with MH support - we can help.

Use a TB3 dock that has GigE. These seem to mostly use the i210 chipset, which is OK and Apple provides a reasonable driver for it, but its performance is not as good (e.g. it uses more CPU) as the motherboard Ethernet on the older machines.

Use a TB3 -> TB2 Adapter chained to a TB2-GigE adapter. This provides a Broadcom NIC that matches what Apple ships on the motherboards and provides the best CPU performance. This is what I personally use.

That said - all of the options above work.

--- While I have the TB3 -> TB2 adapter chained and easily removable because I have other TB2 peripherals that I need to use sometimes, if you will use it only for this adapter chain, I would recommend either shrink tubing or taping the TB2 connector to the TB3 adapter, as the TB2 connector, while a snug fit, will pull out from time to time if the Enet cable gets pulled."
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
You can use USB or Ethernet. Can't get much better than that for connectivity!
Didn't he say firewire 400? None of those will work. This is pre 3d, am I right?
Old 24th January 2020
Quote:
Didn't he say firewire 400? None of those will work. This is pre 3d, am I right?
There are adapters fw-ethernet and he should have usb.
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordito View Post
Ah. OK.
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The ability to seamlessly aggregate many MH devices, dumping Firewire and the improved sound are the biggest plusses for me.

Quote:

Thanks
Pre 3D, I connected my firewire MH devices via a Thunderbolt2 (lightning) hub that had FW ports. I believe someone makes a single adaptor: T2 -> FW800. I'm assuming you can do the same?

The upgrade card is not a "whole new interface", it's a user installable card in your current box.
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordito View Post
Indeed you'd expect a machine to have USB. For years motherboards have had dual ethernet ports too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search