The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Metric Halo 3D Is Here
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Is it so hard to finally write Windows drivers and finish the 3D update? Or to give an apology when it's time to do so? It takes quite a few years now!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet Poet View Post
Is it so hard to finally write Windows drivers and finish the 3D update? Or to give an apology when it's time to do so? It takes quite a few years now!
how do you dare to ask ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet Poet View Post
SO you are right and wrong
Problem is OS editors (apple mostly, but windows too) update their OS way to much. I think it's very hard to keep things up.
But for some software editors it's a gold mine, they can do the same, with a lot of every year sales updates, or even pump up your money with subscriptions.

But I understand, it's more easy to whine about hardware, for not keeping it up quick.

That being said I really like to be beta (or alpha??) tester, for a windows driver

And I have to ad somthing:
I got a hackintosh with mojave and 1 uln8 (over hack ethenet driver, for onboard intel)
And a mabook pro 10,1 with high sierra and 1 ULN2 (over thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptater).

Since Pb6, I got no problem on the hackintosh with the ULN8 together.

On the other hand, I got lot of problems with the uln2 and the macbook pro (audio drop, and audio that look like loosing clock recently). The only thing that work is to reboot computer with alt+cmd+P+R.
I couldn't send a bug report as I am in live situation, and no internet mostly.
I hope it only come from mojave vs high sierra, but I find it really funny.
Well not when it happend in live :()
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'm still waiting Windows drivers... at list for beta-testing..

Last edited by Fubsy; 3 weeks ago at 08:27 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubsy View Post
I'm still waiting Windows drivers... at list for beta-testing..
I wouldn’t hold my breath for Windows. I know he said it and so far he delivers what he promises, but he’s the only one. So it takes time.

And I know you edited but FireWire has nothing to do with Metric halo any more, in 3d. Ethernet.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My next build (end of year) will be Ryzen. Is hoping for Windows 3D/ethernet/MHLink in that time span unrealistic?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

A question for someone who is more up to date than myself with a couple of ULN 2 interfaces, can the uln8 pres be controlled remotely from the new mixer? It seems so.. really impressed with the giant leap forward by MH, great stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
A question for someone who is more up to date than myself with a couple of ULN 2 interfaces, can the uln8 pres be controlled remotely from the new mixer? It seems so.. really impressed with the giant leap forward by MH, great stuff.
Yes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thank you Swafford.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
remotely controlling the ULN-8, LIO-8 and 2882 and linking multiple interfaces together to build an aggregate system all via ethernet is what drew me to Metric Halo 3D. There are still some bugs to work out and things like play back via the MH "Record" is still not happening yet, but ultimately this is going to be a pretty amazing system.

Apart from accessing the headphone jacks, I really do not have any reason to mess around with anything on the front panels of any of my interfaces now. There was a time when I thought controlling all functions of an interface via software was a detriment, but no longer.

If you want to eventually add another interface(s) to your system, you could hold onto a ULN-2 for your mix position and then place everything else remotely beside what you are recording and run ethernet to your mix position, potentially more than 300' away, all the while controlling all the functions of your ULN-8 or 2882. Of course if using preamps in front of anything you need to go turn some level controls...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thank you Puffer Fish, very helpful. I’ve had a long time away from recording and reading about MH’s new 3D has peaked my interest again. The uln2s and old Mio console is/was always bullet proof, once finished this new stuff will be the tops.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3D folks, would like to hear any thoughts on those using their MH as master clock VRS
Using converters like the new Crane Song or, Dangerous ad+ etc. as the master feeding their 3d boxes.

Getting ready to do the 3d upgrade & considering new monitoring DACs & possible mix capture AD.

I understand the 3d clock has significantly improved so, makes me curious as the new HEDD clock is supposed to be a very solid option as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
3D folks, would like to hear any thoughts on those using their MH as master clock VRS
Using converters like the new Crane Song or, Dangerous ad+ etc. as the master feeding their 3d boxes.
I do it, but it’s pretty hard to judge sonic differences in the clocking. I record with the MH internal clocks. Mix using a Forssell A/D, which sends word clock to 3 LIO8s (I’ve tried it the other way, with MH feeding clock, and it sounds slightly different perhaps). For listening to music I always use the internal clock because it’s going to an Avocet which reclocks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Getting ready to do the 3d upgrade & considering new monitoring DACs & possible mix capture AD.

I understand the 3d clock has significantly improved so, makes me curious as the new HEDD clock is supposed to be a very solid option as well.
I use the Grimm CC2 clock (a few on this forum consider Grimm the best) with my LIO-8 and Trinnov ST2. It beat out the Antelope MX, Dangerous and HEDD in a very interesting article on clocking (Pink Paper, can't remember the link).

Sounds better to my ears but I obviously cannot prove that empirically. Music feels more relaxed and organic. It was especially noticeable during monitoring when connecting the gear via analogue (more ADDA conversions). I think that was more at the Trinnov end though.

Now it's all digital, the only DA being in the Kii's themselves when monitoring. When printing through the HW chain I still believe I can hear that extra naturalness to the sound. Again, it could be my brain, but I'm happy.

Be sure to check out the Grimm CC1 and CC2 (same clocks, CC1 just has more WC connections).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingBus View Post
I do it, but it’s pretty hard to judge sonic differences in the clocking. I record with the MH internal clocks. Mix using a Forssell A/D, which sends word clock to 3 LIO8s (I’ve tried it the other way, with MH feeding clock, and it sounds slightly different perhaps). For listening to music I always use the internal clock because it’s going to an Avocet which reclocks.
Good to hear, It all makes sence. Especially w the avocet involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I use the Grimm CC2 clock (a few on this forum consider Grimm the best) with my LIO-8 and Trinnov ST2. It beat out the Antelope MX, Dangerous and HEDD in a very interesting article on clocking (Pink Paper, can't remember the link).

Sounds better to my ears but I obviously cannot prove that empirically. Music feels more relaxed and organic. It was especially noticeable during monitoring when connecting the gear via analogue (more ADDA conversions). I think that was more at the Trinnov end though.

Now it's all digital, the only DA being in the Kii's themselves when monitoring. When printing through the HW chain I still believe I can hear that extra naturalness to the sound. Again, it could be my brain, but I'm happy.

Be sure to check out the Grimm CC1 and CC2 (same clocks, CC1 just has more WC connections).

Yes the Grimm cc2 has been on my radar for a while now.
I keep considering the new HEDD Quantum clock and how special it’s said to be so, the only thing to do of course is get these in here to listen.
...The ad side gives much clocking potential so that’s a thing, when in my case weighing up the CS against the AD+.

This clocking stuff can be a very subtle thing much of the time. At least when comparing some of these better options, Lio included.
When I clock the lio to the Burl the difference is there, as opposed to using Lio’s internal but, not all that significant imo.(Haven’t yet got the 3d installed)

Might get more interesting with the CS or Grimm involved. Curious about the pink paper.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes the Grimm cc2 has been on my radar for a while now.
I keep considering the new HEDD Quantum clock and how special it’s said to be so, the only thing to do of course is get these in here to listen.
...The ad side gives much clocking potential so that’s a thing, when in my case weighing up the CS against the AD+.

This clocking stuff can be a very subtle thing much of the time. At least when comparing some of these better options, Lio included.
When I clock the lio to the Burl the difference is there, as opposed to using Lio’s internal but, not all that significant imo.(Haven’t yet got the 3d installed)

Might get more interesting with the CS or Grimm involved. Curious about the pink paper.
If I'm not mistaken (had a few G&T's at this point so this could well be the case), @ RoundBadge has compared the Burl, CS Quantum, AD+ and (perhaps) Grimm.

The article was removed, just found it on archive.org for you:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170321...pink-paper-002

Great read!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken (had a few G&T's at this point so this could well be the case), @ RoundBadge has compared the Burl, CS Quantum, AD+ and (perhaps) Grimm.

Great read!
Thanks for the link! Will check.
Yeah, he settled on the AD+ and has the Grimm. (and a fan of the CS d/a)

To try to steer back OT, it'll be real interesting to do some comparing w/ the 3D, along with clocking & these others.

Have to add another right on to MH! Few companies provide their users such HW upgrades & overall savvy support.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Great read!

Thank you b0se!
I've finally found the pink paper!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I got a question about boot state:
Will it work with one standalone unit, or Do you intend to make it work with more than one unit?
The main intrest in this would be : In a PA system, you could have a disconnection from the computer to mh boxes, then reconnect it with no cut or bug on the sound (In cases of computer crash or something)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerutabaga View Post
I got a question about boot state:
Will it work with one standalone unit, or Do you intend to make it work with more than one unit? The main intrest in this would be : In a PA system, you could have a disconnection from the computer to mh boxes, then reconnect it with no cut or bug on the sound (In cases of computer crash or something)
In a multibox system, once we have boot-states reimplemented it will store the boot-state for all the boxes. Having the boot-state recall properly for a multi-box rig will require the MHLink topology does not change (e.g. the boxes will need to be connected exactly the same way as they were when the boot-state was saved).

The feature that enables the reconnection of MIOConsole to a running system with no interruption in the audio is what we call ConsoleSync. 3d is substantially more complex than 2d was. We will re-implement ConsoleSync for 3d, but I can't promise that it will be available at the same time as boot-states become available. We'll do our best.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

3d Software Release 7 Available Now!

We are very excited to announce that the pb7 release of the 3d Software release is available now!

It has a huge number of new features, enhancements and bug fixes - too many to detail here. You can download the software and read about all the details here:

https://mhsecure.com/3d_Early_Access...notes/pb7.html

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
http://www.mhlabs.com
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
In a multibox system, once we have boot-states reimplemented it will store the boot-state for all the boxes. Having the boot-state recall properly for a multi-box rig will require the MHLink topology does not change (e.g. the boxes will need to be connected exactly the same way as they were when the boot-state was saved).

The feature that enables the reconnection of MIOConsole to a running system with no interruption in the audio is what we call ConsoleSync. 3d is substantially more complex than 2d was. We will re-implement ConsoleSync for 3d, but I can't promise that it will be available at the same time as boot-states become available. We'll do our best.
I don't talk about using the system with DAWs, just MIOConsole3d to mix in live. So I don't talk about ConsoleSync at all, I think.
I think there was somthing like a choice when you launch the mio console with 2D that say : "use console configuration or use box configuration".

ps : I only see the MIOConsole3d in your PB7 zip file, no firmware or mhlink driver
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
ps : I only see the MIOConsole3d in your PB7 zip file, no firmware or mhlink driver
That's right. Confusing, huh? But it's al good.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
If you want to eventually add another interface(s) to your system, you could hold onto a ULN-2 for your mix position and then place everything else remotely beside what you are recording and run ethernet to your mix position, potentially more than 300' away, all the while controlling all the functions of your ULN-8 or 2882. Of course if using preamps in front of anything you need to go turn some level controls...
I got a ULN-2 for exactly that purpose (and as a headphone amp in a MH based IEM rig) and it's brilliant! I've found so many uses for this fantastic box. I had sort of written off the ULN-2 as not enough inputs and halfway to a ULN-8, but it's really useful. And then, you can always add other inputs via ADAT, AES, MADI, etc., depending on what card you have in the slot on the back.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I don't talk about using the system with DAWs, just MIOConsole3d to mix in live. So I don't talk about ConsoleSync at all, I think.
I think there was somthing like a choice when you launch the mio console with 2D that say : "use console configuration or use box configuration".

Look for the orange numbers in the domain area of the Mixer panel. They will let you know if firmware or drivers need to be updated. It's really convenient. Just click on the numbers and the appropriate action commences.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. I am not talking about ConsoleConnect (which is for DAWs); I am talking about ConsoleSync which is the technology that allows MIO Console to load the running configuration out of the hardware without interrupting the audio.

Quote:
The Firmware and Driver are part of MIOConsole3d now; you can install both from the Utilities Menu in MIOConsole3d (or by clicking on the orange version numbers displayed in the UI).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
I got a ULN-2 for exactly that purpose (and as a headphone amp in a MH based IEM rig) and it's brilliant! I've found so many uses for this fantastic box. I had sort of written off the ULN-2 as not enough inputs and halfway to a ULN-8, but it's really useful. And then, you can always add other inputs via ADAT, AES, MADI, etc., depending on what card you have in the slot on the back.
I do sort of the opposite, mostly since I do a lot of playing and tracking at the same time. I have one of my ULN2's in my tracking area for doing overdubs (feeding it from some Coil CA-70 and RCA BA31a) while it also feeds the tracking area monitor for play backs. I leave the ULN8 in the main rack since it's also pretty much the center for routing to outboard.

But yea, these boxes are fabulously flexible.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Yes. I am not talking about ConsoleConnect (which is for DAWs); I am talking about ConsoleSync which is the technology that allows MIO Console to load the running configuration out of the hardware without interrupting the audio.

The Firmware and Driver are part of MIOConsole3d now; you can install both from the Utilities Menu in MIOConsole3d (or by clicking on the orange version numbers displayed in the UI).
Great!
About ConsolSync, it was already clear in your first statment... my bad.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
We are very excited to announce that the pb7 release of the 3d Software release is available now!

It has a huge number of new features, enhancements and bug fixes - too many to detail here. You can download the software and read about all the details here:

https://mhsecure.com/3d_Early_Access...notes/pb7.html

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
http://www.mhlabs.com
Huge Update ! Thank you !!!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
How much is the updating of the firmware and driver a part of having an internet connection? I'm out in the barn and can finagle a connection to the house (when it's sunny and the wind is blowing west), but mostly it's a pain in the a&& and prefer going the old sneaker-net route.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search