The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Metric Halo 3D Is Here
Old 31st May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post
Sounds like this could be related to my first attempt with MHLink this week. After installing the driver I wasn't getting any network activity over LAN. iStat Menus showed that that I wasn't getting more than a few KB in and out after installing the driver. Reboots of various devices didn't have any impact.

I tried removing an ethernet hub, rebooting my machine, rebooting router... All traffic and data in via ethernet came to basically a dead stop as soon as I installed the MHLink driver.

I went to Library/Extensions (Believe that's the path), deleted the MHLink driver, emptied the trash, and rebooted.
All network activity was immediately back to normal. i Stat reflected this as well...

Seems like the MHLink driver is choking incoming and outgoing data. (At least on my end that's what I was seeing...)
I wonder if this is my problem. Network is slow to a crawl. I replaced the modem after weeks of frustration. It worked for about an hour but slowly started choking.
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esencia View Post
I don't know why but I assumed that if I use physical MIC input db25 was "dual", so I could choose between mic and line signal treatment...
It's dual in the sense that it can accept line level signals, so you *can* use it as a line level input, as long as the Mic path is selected. But when you select Mic, you are always going through the Mic Pre and blocking caps.

The line input, on the separate connector, does not have the mic pre or the blocking caps in the path, and has a higher input impedance.

Quote:
So if I understood you correctly, I have 8 line physical inputs + 8 mic physical inputs on my ULN-8, but by sw I choose for each 8 analog inputs what physical line or mic will go to the AD converter.
Correct.

Quote:
In this case, using line inputs correctly, If I had to plug an un-balanced TS cable to the XLR male that I have plugged to the db25 (balanced), is needed to bridge XLR' pin1 and pin3 to TS' sleeve + TS'tip to pin2 (hot), or TS' sleeve to pin 3 and + TS'tip to pin2 would be enough?*

*I've read both approaches depending on the system...
On the input side, you definitely want pin 3 connected the to the sleeve and pin 2 connected to the tip. The connection between pin 1 and pin 3 is optional.

If you connect pin 1 and pin 3, both the sender and the receiver will have connected grounds. In general this a good thing, but under certain system configurations this can lead to a ground loop that allows noise to be picked up by the single ended input (generally hum or buzz). If connecting pin 3 to pin 1 leads to a ground loop, then the first thing to try is to disconnect pin 1 and pin 3, and let the MIO float relative to the source.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I wonder if this is my problem. Network is slow to a crawl. I replaced the modem after weeks of frustration. It worked for about an hour but slowly started choking.
Sorry to hear man.... Try deleting the driver and rebooting. My connection speed was back to normal immediately after a restart. The USB connection's been solid for me on High Sierra, (but I'm only running a single interface)...
Hope they sort this out for you soon and you can return the modem!
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Head

Hello 3D's,

my ULN2 3D arrived.
I totally confused with the new matrix and it is not possible for me to route the main out to my speakers. I can add to direct out but then of course I have no control with the sliders.

Sorry for the beginner question ;-)

Thanks for help.
Attached Thumbnails
Metric Halo 3D Is Here-bildschirmfoto-2019-06-07-um-20.48.14.jpg  
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldemaR View Post
Hello 3D's,

my ULN2 3D arrived.
I totally confused with the new matrix and it is not possible for me to route the main out to my speakers. I can add to direct out but then of course I have no control with the sliders.

Sorry for the beginner question ;-)

Thanks for help.
Either route it via the bus out, or change the output path routing on the monitor controller.

If that doesn't get you where you need to be, please open as support ticket:

https://mhsecure.com/support
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
Either route it via the bus out, or change the output path routing on the monitor controller.

If that doesn't get you where you need to be, please open as support ticket:

https://mhsecure.com/support
Thank you very much for the fast reply and help. I use the bus out ;-)
My first impression, sounds beautiful.
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Head

Any ETA on windows support? Would like to upgrade my ULN2 which I use standalone currently.
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

Toggle between headphones and Monitors on front panel

Hello all,

Just upgraded to a new Mac. Can't get MHLink to talk to my computer. Usb c works great when mio console is closed. I can go down to a 64 buffer with no drops on a very large project, but as soon as I open mio it's garbage.

With the mioconsole on I can up the buffer all the way and still doesn't work properly.

Yes, I know it's the apple driver. Hopefully we'll see a custom usb driver and MIO Console will be as fast and smooth as 2d was.

Until then, I'm going to just finish my mixes in the daw and don't need mio open for this. It works great without mio open.

Can someone tell me if I can set the physical buttons on the front of the Uln-8 to toggle between headphones and monitors like it was in 2d?

New MacBook Pro
Usb c to ethernet adapter
cat6 cable

Ray
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Head

Recording with 3d card, files not in folder

Hi Guys,
I'm in a jam... have a session today in a few hours.
I was setting all up yesterday ( been using the 2882 for many years) and the usual process- arm tracks, select record folder...etc all worked except that nothing showed up in the folder after recording. I could see waveforms in the timeline, have no idea where they went. Hopefully something dumb on my part.
What is different than process in 2d??

I've been using the 3d card/2882 as a front end for protools quite nicely, today is a remote and I want to use the record panel.

Thanks for any help,

Bruce Boege
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Hi Guys,
I was setting all up yesterday ( been using the 2882 for many years) and the usual process- arm tracks, select record folder...etc all worked except that nothing showed up in the folder after recording. I could see waveforms in the timeline, have no idea where they went. Hopefully something dumb on my part.

I've been using the 3d card/2882 as a front end for protools quite nicely, today is a remote and I want to use the record panel.

Thanks for any help,

Bruce Boege
Not sure if you that is what you referring to:

Known Issues: Temporary Loss of functionality relative to 2d

Record Panel playback still needs to be implemented
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL View Post
New MacBook Pro
Usb c to ethernet adapter
You need to make sure it us a USB3 (on USB-C) to gigabit ethernet adapter. 100Base-T won't work.

You also need to make sure that you have given the MHLink driver permission to load:

https://mhsecure.com/faq/index.php?a...artikel&id=342
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Guys,

The process is the same. First you set the record folder, and then you record. That being said, If you don't set the record folder, it gets recorded in

Home Folder > Music > Metric Halo Record Panel

You can show the Record Folders in the Record Panel (using the hamburger menu) and then click the hamburger menu next to the record folder in the list and select "Show in Finder" and the record folder will open up in the Finder.
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
You need to make sure it us a USB3 (on USB-C) to gigabit ethernet adapter. 100Base-T won't work.

You also need to make sure that you have given the MHLink driver permission to load:

https://mhsecure.com/faq/index.php?a...artikel&id=342
I'm using the belkin Usb-C to Gigabit ethernet adapter. Is this the problem?

http://https://www.apple.com/shop/pr...duct-HJKF2ZM/A

I also checked the the driver permissions, but there was no message saying the driver had been blocked.
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by benqbasic View Post
Any ETA on windows support? Would like to upgrade my ULN2 which I use standalone currently.
Just a follow up. I understand that the 3d won't remember my standalone setting currently?
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a follow up. I understand that the 3d won't remember my standalone setting currently?
Not yet. Coming soon.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm using the belkin Usb-C to Gigabit ethernet adapter. Is this the problem?
If it is Gigabit, and you are connecting with a gigabit cable (8 conductors) it should be fine.

Quote:
I also checked the the driver permissions, but there was no message saying the driver had been blocked.
The Apple UI for this is not always 100% reliable.

You can check if the driver was loaded by doing MIOConsole3d > About MIO Console…

If the driver is loaded you will see the version number in for the MHLink Driver in the About MIOConsole window.

If the driver is not loaded, it will show <u/a> instead of the version number.

If that's the case, you can try to get the driver to load manually, by running the following command in the terminal:

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext

and enter your password followed by the <return> key when prompted. You'll get an error, but the "Allow" button should appear in System Preferences > Security pane.

Please note that if the Eucontrol app is running, you will not be able to click the "Allow" button, so make sure to quit that first if it is running.

If that doesn't work, you can try deleting the driver from

/Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext

Then running

sudo kextcache -invalidate /
(again enter your password when prompted)

and then reboot.

Then try installing the driver again.
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
The process is the same. First you set the record folder, and then you record. That being said, If you don't set the record folder, it gets recorded in

Home Folder > Music > Metric Halo Record Panel

You can show the Record Folders in the Record Panel (using the hamburger menu) and then click the hamburger menu next to the record folder in the list and select "Show in Finder" and the record folder will open up in the Finder.
Hi Bj, thanks for the reply on a sunday! I was in the heat of my session and couldn't respond until this morning at my laptop....(Im in Hawaii)

Anyway, I got through the session using Reaper to record, 2882 as front end.

So, I did go through the above mentioned process, same results, both folders were empty! My chosen one, and the default MH record panel folder. As I said, I could see waveforms while recording but nothing saved anywhere as normal.

Btw,I am really, really happy with the 3d card performance, the sound is just gorgeous. Learning the new matrix is challenging, and worth it! Character options are awesome!!

Thanks for all your work, and I eagerly await the complete release of full functioning software.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks,
Bruce

Last edited by BruceB; 10th June 2019 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: misspelling...
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Head

I have a problem! I change nothing and have no input signal. After a reboot the right channel has a signal input the left not. Once again a reboot no signal on both channel.

Any help are appreciated.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Metric Halo 3D Is Here-bildschirmfoto-2019-06-10-um-21.24.43.jpg  
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

3D is rocking again!

Quote:
If it is Gigabit, and you are connecting with a gigabit cable (8 conductors) it should be fine.

The Apple UI for this is not always 100% reliable.

You can check if the driver was loaded by doing MIOConsole3d > About MIO Console…

If the driver is loaded you will see the version number in for the MHLink Driver in the About MIOConsole window.

If the driver is not loaded, it will show <u/a> instead of the version number.

If that's the case, you can try to get the driver to load manually, by running the following command in the terminal:

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext

and enter your password followed by the <return> key when prompted. You'll get an error, but the "Allow" button should appear in System Preferences > Security pane.

Please note that if the Eucontrol app is running, you will not be able to click the "Allow" button, so make sure to quit that first if it is running.

If that doesn't work, you can try deleting the driver from

/Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext

Then running

sudo kextcache -invalidate /
(again enter your password when prompted)

and then reboot.

Then try installing the driver again.
Thank you BJ! This worked for me and now I'm happy to report that I'm able to run a large product at 96kHz, 24 Bit, with the 64 buffer with no issues. With the new MacBook Pro things are fast, and seamless.

I'm very grateful for your hard work! The Uln-8 is the best!

Sorry if my frustration came through on my first post and thank you for your quick responses on this forum.

Sincerely,
Ray

Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, I did go through the above mentioned process, same results, both folders were empty! My chosen one, and the default MH record panel folder. As I said, I could see waveforms while recording but nothing saved anywhere as normal.

Any other ideas?
The folders were empty? or the files in the folders were silent?

I'm not really sure what is going on here; I think it would be best if you opened a support ticket ( https://mhsecure.com/support ) so that we can gather more information to determine what is going on.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldemaR View Post
I have a problem! I change nothing and have no input signal. After a reboot the right channel has a signal input the left not. Once again a reboot no signal on both channel.
I'm not really sure what is going on here; I think it would be best if you opened a support ticket ( https://mhsecure.com/support ) so that we can gather more information to determine what is going on.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
The folders were empty? or the files in the folders were silent?

No folders, no files, nothing.

So,
I went back today to test again, and this time all worked ok, I only tried the MH record panel default folder, had to leave studio quickly.
Folders were there, files inside. I didn't attempt to play them though. I'll do a deeper test tomorrow.

Only difference- tell me if this is relevant- today I used a 6 foot Ethernet cable.
On the remote gig, I used a 50 foot. Possible issue? I assume it doesn't matter which input- top or bottom- I use on the box?

On both sessions, I could easily create and locate the folders which I put on an external drive on my laptop, as I have been doing since day 1. I figure (?) if the folder can be created on the external drive, the files should be able to land there?

Off to a gig now, can respond after 10 pm Pacific time.. 4 am for you..don't wait up haha..

Thanks BJ,
Bruce
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Tumbleweeds
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Tumleweeds

Great name for a song...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingBus View Post
Actually glad it's not just me. This is the only bug I'm still experiencing, and it's a big time waster. BJ, please give this high priority; I'll submit a report.

Same issues as above: the 3 LIO8s aren’t recognized at startup, or they are but later audio mysteriously drops. The audio drop is sometimes related to using other audio apps (Quicktime, iTunes), but not always. Requires random “reboot all units” from the utility menu, restarting the DAW, restarting console, reselecting clocking until everything comes back online.
Similar issues here with 6 lios linked by ethernet. It can take up to 30mins just to get the setup working. Random reboots, restarts, opening / closing of Ableton.

I even wiped my iMac Pro and did a reinstall of the entire system, downgraded the OS to Sierra. So annoying, as before, with my older iMac, I just turned them all on by the mains switch, worked every time.

I have got to the point of considering ditching the whole setup and going with another option. Really hoping this gets fixed, as I love the company / products / sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pints View Post
Similar issues here with 6 lios linked by ethernet. It can take up to 30mins just to get the setup working. Random reboots, restarts, opening / closing of Ableton.

I even wiped my iMac Pro and did a reinstall of the entire system, downgraded the OS to Sierra. So annoying, as before, with my older iMac, I just turned them all on by the mains switch, worked every time.

I have got to the point of considering ditching the whole setup and going with another option. Really hoping this gets fixed, as I love the company / products / sound.
These are the hiccups in that version of the beta software. I am confident that you will find those frustrating symptoms go away in the later beta or final release software. I’m using 6 boxes here without that issue, so I’m on a similar rig. Any real info will have to come from BJ or Metric Halo though.
Old 4 weeks ago
RTG
Gear Maniac

Still reluctant to make the upgrade on my lio8. How long before beta becomes final?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Still reluctant to make the upgrade on my lio8. How long before beta becomes final?
nobody knows. I bet not even BJ Buchalter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

The wider the beta field is, and now the PUBLIC beta, the possibilities that other problems are revealed. There was a single issue of internet woes. I’m not sure it had been reported or experienced at all. That is fixed as far as I can tell. But one thing gets fixed and another something gets undone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
These are the hiccups in that version of the beta software. I am confident that you will find those frustrating symptoms go away in the later beta or final release software. I’m using 6 boxes here without that issue, so I’m on a similar rig. Any real info will have to come from BJ or Metric Halo though.
I will hold out. I knew it was Beta when I signed up. This is the price I pay. The sound makes it all worth it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search