The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metric Halo 3D Is Here
Old 3rd May 2019
  #1531
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
No, but you'll want to remake your console files in 3D anyway. Nice clean start. This new console is too different from the old one for old the old files to work.
So I searched and found nothing...

It would be nice to share some MIO console .cnsl3d files to use as templates. Kind of like the mixer setup options that was in 2d. Its pretty tedious to build new ones all the time especially if mixers confuse you (like myself).

Like for tracking drums or bands into a DAW or whatever.

Does anyone want to post them? I would love to see how the more pro level guys flow their work.

THX
Old 3rd May 2019
  #1532
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
since upgrading to MIO Console V6.0, I have been experiencing a lot more crashes. Weird stuff like I power up the interfaces, launch MIO Console and.... my MAC locks up and crashes.

Have any of you folks been experiencing this as well?

I recognize completely we are working with beta software and this sort of thing is expected while Metric Halo works through fixes. I ask just to learn if this is common and to alert BJ to our experiences.
Have you been submitting the bug reports when this happens?

If not, please start doing so. It is the best way for us to see problems and gather information about the symptoms.
Old 3rd May 2019
  #1533
Lives for gear
 
pounce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugalo View Post
So I searched and found nothing...

It would be nice to share some MIO console .cnsl3d files to use as templates. Kind of like the mixer setup options that was in 2d. Its pretty tedious to build new ones all the time especially if mixers confuse you (like myself).

Like for tracking drums or bands into a DAW or whatever.

Does anyone want to post them? I would love to see how the more pro level guys flow their work.

THX
I expect more templates and such at the final release. My console isn’t very interesting to look at because I do most of what I do in the DAW and use the console for fairly straightforward routing. I just happen to have a lot of channels so it’s a big console, but mostly in my case it’s pretty straightforward about getting audio in and out of the computer. This is just my old habit and I only worry that I’m under-utilizing what the Metric Halo gear can do. It is great to have this sound quality, have the computer see my 128 channels as a single interface, and just fun a single CAT6 cable from my Mac Pro to the interfaces to make it work. I do have quite a few MIO Strips on channels with older synthesizers to assure that coming into the DAW those channels already have a good volume and tone to start with, but it’s nothing too shocking.
Old 4th May 2019
  #1534
Lives for gear
 
myles's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
But of course, I record in a barn. So YMMV.
Me: "Dammit, Bossy, I said the U67 in input 3, not 4!"
Old 4th May 2019
  #1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
Have you been submitting the bug reports when this happens?

If not, please start doing so. It is the best way for us to see problems and gather information about the symptoms.
Yes, I do submit the bug reports. I guess I was curious if other folks are experiencing anything similar.

I have two ULN-8 and a single 2882 all with 3-D hardware, attached to my MAC Book Pro via ethernet/ MH Link.

I am on MIO v 6.0.

My MAC is on OS 10.13.5, 2.3 GHz i7 processor, 16GB ram.

FWIW, I have started paying way more attention to the "System Preferences"--"Sound" control panel to verify the MH interfaces are appearing on the MAC before I bring up MIO Console. It just seems like the initialization of the interfaces/ MAC/ MIO Console is finicky right now and I have great confidence that you folks at Metric Halo will address all this in the next few months.

My set up is NOT "rock solid" right now, as some folks describe their systems at present. I am for sure happy to read other folks are operating in such a no problems present environment. Maybe I will be there too in MIO Console V 7.0 or V 8.0. : )

Given the huge discount in pricing to enter the new world of Metric Halo 3D, I am more than happy to aid in the research of BETA testing of MIO Console software to help get us all operating in a flawless environment.
Old 5th May 2019
  #1536
Gear Head
 
gotsoul's Avatar
 

[QUOTE=Puffer Fish;13960199]since upgrading to MIO Console V6.0, I have been experiencing a lot more crashes. Weird stuff like I power up the interfaces, launch MIO Console and.... my MAC locks up and crashes.

Happenend to me as well a few times, replacing the ethernet cable with a new one seems to have solved the issue, but it may be something else
Old 5th May 2019
  #1537
It ain't rock solid here either. I opened a ticket and I'm pretty sure they are doing the best they can. But usually I have to restart my Mac once to have MioConsole recognize the attached 3d units. Not cool, but I can live with it.

Two weeks ago I had my first album production with the updated units. And besides having to restart them again at the beginning of the day, they worked fine. Actually they sound just amazing! I just missed a usable reverb in Console for monitor mixes. The one that's there is just not good. Anything else: great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
Yes, I do submit the bug reports. I guess I was curious if other folks are experiencing anything similar.

I have two ULN-8 and a single 2882 all with 3-D hardware, attached to my MAC Book Pro via ethernet/ MH Link.

I am on MIO v 6.0.

My MAC is on OS 10.13.5, 2.3 GHz i7 processor, 16GB ram.

FWIW, I have started paying way more attention to the "System Preferences"--"Sound" control panel to verify the MH interfaces are appearing on the MAC before I bring up MIO Console. It just seems like the initialization of the interfaces/ MAC/ MIO Console is finicky right now and I have great confidence that you folks at Metric Halo will address all this in the next few months.

My set up is NOT "rock solid" right now, as some folks describe their systems at present. I am for sure happy to read other folks are operating in such a no problems present environment. Maybe I will be there too in MIO Console V 7.0 or V 8.0. : )

Given the huge discount in pricing to enter the new world of Metric Halo 3D, I am more than happy to aid in the research of BETA testing of MIO Console software to help get us all operating in a flawless environment.
Old 5th May 2019
  #1538
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz View Post
It ain't rock solid here either. I opened a ticket and I'm pretty sure they are doing the best they can. But usually I have to restart my Mac once to have MioConsole recognize the attached 3d units. Not cool, but I can live with it.

Two weeks ago I had my first album production with the updated units. And besides having to restart them again at the beginning of the day, they worked fine. Actually they sound just amazing! I just missed a usable reverb in Console for monitor mixes. The one that's there is just not good. Anything else: great


Is it only at the beginning of the session,and initial setup boot,but not in the middle of,let's say,tracking,..?
What does it happen when it crashes?
Audio still passing thru?
Can't imagine a nightmare and embarrassment with paying clients and band with headphones on in the recording room,waiting for me to restart everything..
Thank you
Old 5th May 2019
  #1539
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz View Post
It ain't rock solid here either. I opened a ticket and I'm pretty sure they are doing the best they can. But usually I have to restart my Mac once to have MioConsole recognize the attached 3d units. Not cool, but I can live with it.

Two weeks ago I had my first album production with the updated units. And besides having to restart them again at the beginning of the day, they worked fine. Actually they sound just amazing! I just missed a usable reverb in Console for monitor mixes. The one that's there is just not good. Anything else: great
Yeah, the DSP reverb is a bit lacklustre.
Old 5th May 2019
  #1540
Only when starting the Mac and initially opening MioConsole. Units are not shown in Console, no audio. Sometimes restarting the units helps. Sometimes I have to restart the Mac. Once it runs it's ok for the whole session. So the musicians didn't see this. Still, it's not a good feeling if this doens't work properly from start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliwowitz View Post
Is it only at the beginning of the session,and initial setup boot,but not in the middle of,let's say,tracking,..?
What does it happen when it crashes?
Audio still passing thru?
Can't imagine a nightmare and embarrassment with paying clients and band with headphones on in the recording room,waiting for me to restart everything..
Thank you
Old 5th May 2019
  #1541
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz View Post
Only when starting the Mac and initially opening MioConsole. Units are not shown in Console, no audio. Sometimes restarting the units helps. Sometimes I have to restart the Mac. Once it runs it's ok for the whole session. So the musicians didn't see this. Still, it's not a good feeling if this doens't work properly from start.
Thank you very much.
At least,once up and running,it'll remain stable.
Loading new mio file also safe?

Thank you
Old 5th May 2019
  #1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliwowitz View Post
Thank you very much.
At least,once up and running,it'll remain stable.
Loading new mio file also safe?

Thank you
I never change the preset during a session, because it can lead to the same as described.
Old 5th May 2019
  #1543
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz View Post
I never change the preset during a session, because it can lead to the same as described.
Ok
Thank you!
Old 5th May 2019
  #1544
my crashes only occur when I first launch the MIO Console application. I have not (to date) had any crashes occur after everything is up and running. It seems like the problem is with making everything communicate--that initial connection/ launch of the devices and software.

The mention of changing out the ethernet cable seems like one worth trying... maybe?


Anyway, this is part of the process of the beta testing effort we all agreed to and the system keeps getting better and better and bugs sussed out. Some of the serious power user things I have in mind will wait until either I can fully anticipate how and when a failure might occur or until I know for a fact those potential failures/ crashes are a thing of the past. I will of course keep using the set up for situations where I will not be embarrassed by a system crash.

....and I am of course excited to learn when the good folks at Metric Halo have in store for us when the next version of MIO Console 3D is released.
Old 9th May 2019
  #1545
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Anyone heard when the first non-beta MIO Console is expected?
Old 9th May 2019
  #1546
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Anyone heard when the first non-beta MIO Console is expected?
I don’t know but it FEELS soon.
Old 10th May 2019
  #1547
Hey guys, finished a huge studio update; a quick tour with my iPhone. See the Metric Halo setups at 0:40min and 1:25min...



I used 3x LIO8 in a 96K recording/mixing setup running off a mac laptop. It's all built around Metric Halo's brilliant routing which eliminated a ridiculous amount of cabling.

Recording Rack & Analog FX: This floating rack has LIO#1 which captures 5 analog outputs from a modular synth, 3 channels of analog FX, 8 channels of digital FX, and up to 16 channels of drum machine samples from a Maschine Studio. In MIO Console (see screen) I have FX sends set up to route incoming analog inputs back out to the analog & digital FX racks. Record panel absolutely kills; allowing threshold triggered start/stop recording with numbered takes to the hard drive without a DAW. Easy on the processor; just MIO and Maschine software running, no problems recording 24+ channels @ 96K.

Mix Desk: This desk has LIO#2 and #3 to send 16 channels to analog EQs and compressors, sum in an outboard mix bus, convert using a Forssell A/D, and then into the LIO#2 AES card, and routed by ethernet back to LIO#1 into the laptop. The LIO8s are jumpered for "high power mode" so -20dbfs = 0VU output. At mix time everything is clocked off the Forssell via optical (the LIO8's 16 D/As clocked off the Forssell sound great; I compared that vs clocking off the MH and it sounds fine either way). The desk's patchbay has inputs for the LIO#2; more synth recording channels when needed!

Digital FX Rack: This uses an 8-channel AES snake connected to LIO#2, the FX units are set to clock off the incoming AES stream. It can be used to track harmonizer type stuff, or later in mixing.

Monitoring: LIO#2 sends via AES card out to an Avocet which controls three monitors. However for tracking, I can leave the mix desk powered down and just use headphones from LIO#1.

Metering: is done with SpectraFoo, of course. It's the best thing ever for analyzing all these crazy synth frequencies, and mixing.

The networking is crazy powerful. Having the three boxes ethernet connected, plus a couple patch bays, anything can be routed anywhere. While tracking can send to the mix desk outboard, while mixing can send to the synth station for filtering, and anything can be sent to the digital FX rack to process without doing DAD conversion.

Sound quality is clean and detailed—no color, great for tracking. The noise floor of the unbalanced synth plugged direct into the LIO8 db25 is -104dbfs, and even with the Pendulum tube preamps in line it's only -92dbfs. I messed with the internal jumpers to lift the grounds, but found the best noise performance was with leaving grounds connected.

Living the MH life!
Attached Thumbnails
Metric Halo 3D Is Here-mio_console.jpg  
Old 10th May 2019
  #1548
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingBus View Post
Hey guys, finished a huge studio update
w...o...w !!
Old 10th May 2019
  #1549
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingBus View Post
Hey guys, finished a huge studio update;
Thats impressive!
Old 11th May 2019
  #1550
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Awesome bendingBus!!
Old 11th May 2019
  #1551
Lives for gear
 

Must be nice ! 1 million dollars ?
Old 11th May 2019
  #1552
Lives for gear
 
Mighty_Zoltan's Avatar
So do you think Windows support ever going to materialise? Also, will USB work soon? I know this is all ambitious, but it seems like updates have ground to a halt. I asked on the miolist a while back and didn't get a reply.
Old 11th May 2019
  #1553
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Zoltan View Post
So do you think Windows support ever going to materialise? Also, will USB work soon? I know this is all ambitious, but it seems like updates have ground to a halt. I asked on the miolist a while back and didn't get a reply.
Only ONE person can answer that question.
Old 11th May 2019
  #1554
Lives for gear
 
myles's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Zoltan View Post
So do you think Windows support ever going to materialise? Also, will USB work soon? I know this is all ambitious, but it seems like updates have ground to a halt. I asked on the miolist a while back and didn't get a reply.
Don't you think, that if you were BJ, with the 10x Mac market that Windows represents, you'd like to get that out as soon as you can? Same with USB.

I don't think you could call this "ground to a halt"...

Changes Since beta_3d/pb5: (93 commits)
FEATURE: [ mhbug://0004162 ] Add support for multichannel input strips
FEATURE: [ mhbug://0003748 ] Add sidechain routing support for plugins
FEATURE: [ mhbug://0003243 ] Implement the POLARITY INVERT button in the headamp tile on input strips
FEATURE: add support for channel polarity invert
FEATURE: Add support for PFL and AFL with integrated mono fold down
FEATURE: Add basic MC support for Atmos 5.1.4 and Atmos 7.1.4 I/O paths
BUG FIX: [ mhbug://0005482 ] Insert newly added strips after current selection in mixer panel
BUG FIX: [ mhbug://0005477 ] Fix crash related to removing a unit that has a strip or bus with a graph on it.
BUG FIX: [ mhbug://0005400 ] Fix intermittent crash when removing offline box from online domain
BUG FIX: [ mhbug://0003750 ] Make strip width settable per strip
BUG FIX: [ mhbug://0003687 ] Handle ULN 2 correctly in Analog I/O pane (provide meters, adjust layout)
BUG FIX: Fix overdraw of text that caused high CPU loading
BUG FIX: Fix overdraw of graphics that caused high CPU loading
BUG FIX: Fix broken bus > bus solo with SIP mode
BUG FIX: Use correct parameter value names for Detector Source selectors in plugins
BUG FIX: Update layout scale code to ensure that scaling does not break alignment
BUG FIX: Tag DSP load logs with device, and add log to Instantiate and Upload runtable
BUG FIX: Synchronize animations when removing a unit or domain so that everything is smooth
BUG FIX: Remove Mantis Pane from Prefs if Mantis is not enabled
BUG FIX: Make removing units from domain maintain stable order
BUG FIX: Make PFL/AFL respect strip pan
BUG FIX: Ignore assignment to solo bus when determining which unit to place mix busses
BUG FIX: Handle all domain updates atomically
BUG FIX: Fixup Limiter UI
BUG FIX: Fix slow UI response to gain changes from front panel on ULN 8/LIO 8
BUG FIX: Fix overly aggressive offlining of boxes when a transaction with the box fails
BUG FIX: Fix meter positioning scaling alogrithm to ensure all meters fit up to 7.1 for all strip widths
BUG FIX: Fix layout when either fader or meter is not visible in mixer
BUG FIX: Fix incorrect recall of UI scale
BUG FIX: Fix error logging message for mixer controller
BUG FIX: Ensure we don't refer to removed unit in notification target after the underlying unit is removed
BUG FIX: Ensure that phase invert is not included with link group processing
BUG FIX: Ensure that busses are routed to solo bus, even if the Solo bus is hosted on a different unit than the source bus
BUG FIX: Ensure post fader meters work properly when solo mode is not SIP
BUG FIX: Ensure new busses are assigned to solo bus
BUG FIX: Ensure invert button is visible on input strips without headamps
BUG FIX: Disable component buffering for MixerPanel and MixerStrip in the CoreGraphics case as they are causing the app to use more CPU
BUG FIX: Clean up Cue Control labelling
BUG FIX: Change label for Mono Output meter in MIOComp
BUG FIX: Allow lookup of bus as a source on a graph via its input pins
BUG FIX: Adjust calibration and layout of fader and align meter with same calibration scale
BUG FIX: Adjust and cleanup MIOComp UI layout
BUG FIX: Add notification to track bus moves in sidechain if sidechain is fed by bus to ensure that we keep routing in place
BUG FIX: Add label for SC routing control in plugin header
BUG FIX: Add guard for bus lookup
BUG FIX: Add NSMicrophoneUsageDescription to plist to provide better guidance to user in Mojave
Firmware Changes since 6.0.70 (29 commits)
FEATURE: Add support for inverting signals in router
BUG FIX: [ mhbug://0004948 ] Keep meters running until pipeline empties
BUG FIX: Program AES TX metadata buffer to indicate professional mode
BUG FIX: Fix potential desync for sync fifo
BUG FIX: Fix potential desync for async fifo by movig the fifo empty condition into the rd clk domain
Old 11th May 2019
  #1555
Lives for gear
 
Arseny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingBus View Post
Hey guys, finished a huge studio update; a quick tour with my iPhone. See the Metric Halo setups at 0:40min and 1:25min...



I used 3x LIO8 in a 96K recording/mixing setup running off a mac laptop. It's all built around Metric Halo's brilliant routing which eliminated a ridiculous amount of cabling.

Recording Rack & Analog FX: This floating rack has LIO#1 which captures 5 analog outputs from a modular synth, 3 channels of analog FX, 8 channels of digital FX, and up to 16 channels of drum machine samples from a Maschine Studio. In MIO Console (see screen) I have FX sends set up to route incoming analog inputs back out to the analog & digital FX racks. Record panel absolutely kills; allowing threshold triggered start/stop recording with numbered takes to the hard drive without a DAW. Easy on the processor; just MIO and Maschine software running, no problems recording 24+ channels @ 96K.

Mix Desk: This desk has LIO#2 and #3 to send 16 channels to analog EQs and compressors, sum in an outboard mix bus, convert using a Forssell A/D, and then into the LIO#2 AES card, and routed by ethernet back to LIO#1 into the laptop. The LIO8s are jumpered for "high power mode" so -20dbfs = 0VU output. At mix time everything is clocked off the Forssell via optical (the LIO8's 16 D/As clocked off the Forssell sound great; I compared that vs clocking off the MH and it sounds fine either way). The desk's patchbay has inputs for the LIO#2; more synth recording channels when needed!

Digital FX Rack: This uses an 8-channel AES snake connected to LIO#2, the FX units are set to clock off the incoming AES stream. It can be used to track harmonizer type stuff, or later in mixing.

Monitoring: LIO#2 sends via AES card out to an Avocet which controls three monitors. However for tracking, I can leave the mix desk powered down and just use headphones from LIO#1.

Metering: is done with SpectraFoo, of course. It's the best thing ever for analyzing all these crazy synth frequencies, and mixing.

The networking is crazy powerful. Having the three boxes ethernet connected, plus a couple patch bays, anything can be routed anywhere. While tracking can send to the mix desk outboard, while mixing can send to the synth station for filtering, and anything can be sent to the digital FX rack to process without doing DAD conversion.

Sound quality is clean and detailed—no color, great for tracking. The noise floor of the unbalanced synth plugged direct into the LIO8 db25 is -104dbfs, and even with the Pendulum tube preamps in line it's only -92dbfs. I messed with the internal jumpers to lift the grounds, but found the best noise performance was with leaving grounds connected.

Living the MH life!
Man, at 0:57 you show your FX rack, which I like.
Did you buy it like that? Looks like a leg of an office chair! Please tell us more
Old 11th May 2019
  #1556
Lives for gear
 
Jackie Moon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingBus View Post
Hey guys, finished a huge studio update; a quick tour with my iPhone. See the Metric Halo setups at 0:40min and 1:25min...
Great looking spot, and awesome gear selection !
Old 11th May 2019
  #1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
Man, at 0:57 you show your FX rack, which I like. Did you buy it like that? Looks like a leg of an office chair!
These are handy to have around the studio. It's an On-Stage MIX400 stand. The width of the L/R brackets are adjustable, height adjustable, can be angled up/down, and there are stoppers so the gear doesn't slide off. Once you tighten up all the knobs it's dead solid.

Could be used as a semi-mobile Metric Halo tracking track, with outboard preamps and EQ!
Attached Thumbnails
Metric Halo 3D Is Here-mix400_1-2.jpg   Metric Halo 3D Is Here-mix400_2-2.jpg  
Old 18th May 2019
  #1558
Here for the gear
 
Reignoftierney's Avatar
 

@ mh_bj and others

Confused about the calibration levels for the ULN-8
As I understand it comes factory calibrated so that the output (when set to +4)
-18 dBFS = 0 dBU so... -14dBFS = +4 dBU = 0 VU
Is that right ????
What about the input ???

Doesn’t seem to leave as much headroom as other converters ? I know you can install jumpers to raise the output levels but bj why does it come calibrated so high ?
Also why are the input and output levels calibrated differently ???

Trying to set everything optimally with my external hardware and very confused about all this if bj or anyone else could chime in.
Old 18th May 2019
  #1559
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignoftierney View Post
@ mh_bj and others

Confused about the calibration levels for the ULN-8
As I understand it comes factory calibrated so that the output (when set to +4)
-18 dBFS = 0 dBU so... -14dBFS = +4 dBU = 0 VU
Is that right ????
What about the input ???

Doesn’t seem to leave as much headroom as other converters ? I know you can install jumpers to raise the output levels but bj why does it come calibrated so high ?
Also why are the input and output levels calibrated differently ???

Trying to set everything optimally with my external hardware and very confused about all this if bj or anyone else could chime in.
Default is +18.5 dBu (no jumpers)
I will change my units to +22 soon so that I can push the analog hardware if needed.

This for for both in and out.

What exact problem are you having ?
Old 18th May 2019
  #1560
Here for the gear
 
Reignoftierney's Avatar
 

Honestly just wrapping my head around the gain staging of my system and knowing what VU levels I’m pushing into my hardware chain and back into mio.
Want to have it all optimized and know what reference levels my converter is set to.

So the input is variable ???
Analog send 0dBFS = +21.5 dBU
Mic pre 0 dBFS = +20 dBU
Line in 0 dBFS = +24.5 dBU
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump