The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo 3D Is Here Audio Interfaces
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Any idea when USB driver will be available ?
Reason for asking is because I read that latency will be lower via USB.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
Sorry; I totally missed your original post.

Here is the current state of things:

When a 3d MIO is connected via USB, the 3d is exposed as a CoreMIDI device with two MIDI ports using Apple's USB MIDI Driver; one for the built in (port 1) and one for the EdgeCard (port 2). This is the case regardless of whether or not the connectors for the built-in port are exposed on the device itself (they are exposed on ULN-8/LIO-8 and are not on 2882/ULN-2).

So the MIDI interface is a first-class MIDI interface in CoreMIDI (usable for music performance as well was things like Control Surface) when you are connected via USB.

The ports are not yet available via CoreMIDI when you connect via Ethernet. This is something we are working on.

So, if you are using a multibox system (and thus using MHLink), you will not be able to access the MIDI ports on any of the boxes with the current software. As soon as we have CoreMIDI drivers built out for MHLink, you will be able to access all the ports.

If you are using one box at a time via USB, the MIDI works now.

Hope this clarifies things.
Great, thanks BJ. I’ll hold on for now and await further updates.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
You want to do parallel compression in the Analog domain?

The easiest way to do that would be to set up two strips, each with the same source, and insert I/O on each strip.

On the Compressor strip, send to analog, connect to compressor, return from compressor to analog, and set that as the return in the I/O.

On the dry strip, send to analog, loopback, and set that as the return in the I/O.

Then you can set the relative mix of the compressed signal and the uncompressed signal via the strip faders.

Doing the analog loop for the dry keeps things time-aligned.
I just tried this with a HW compressor on one channel and analog loopback on a second channel and am getting phasing between the two. I'm assuming that with 3d it's OK to have the HW on my ULN8 and the dry/loop on my 2882?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I just tried this with a HW compressor on one channel and analog loopback on a second channel and am getting phasing between the two. I'm assuming that with 3d it's OK to have the HW on my ULN8 and the dry/loop on my 2882?
I think latency is different between the ULN-8 and the 2882 (different converters) which is might be why you're getting phasing.

Myles
Old 4 weeks ago
BJ, Will there ever be the possibility via firmware of the ULN8 NOT sending a large pop through the outputs when the unit powers down? I would prefer to keep using the built in monitor control on its own because of its incredible routing flexibility and surround capabilities and I thought that was what removing the little capacitor was about when installing the 3D card. Currently, the solution is to power down all the amps before the interface gets shut down, that's fine enough and obviously the "ideal way" to power down a studio, but in a large surround setup that's a lot of speakers to deal with and in a case where I need to quickly power cycle a stubborn interface to get it to show up in the console, it would be nice if I didn't have to power down the entire monitoring system
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
No, the paths have to be the same. The converters in the ULN-8 and the 2882 have different latencies. Use the ULN-8 for both, or use the 2882 for both.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
No, the paths have to be the same. The converters in the ULN-8 and the 2882 have different latencies. Use the ULN-8 for both, or use the 2882 for both.
Ah - gotcha. Thanks for the help on this one.

A.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
I think latency is different between the ULN-8 and the 2882 (different converters) which is might be why you're getting phasing.

Myles
Thanks Myles! That seems to be the case.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
BJ, Will there ever be the possibility via firmware of the ULN8 NOT sending a large pop through the outputs when the unit powers down? I would prefer to keep using the built in monitor control on its own because of its incredible routing flexibility and surround capabilities and I thought that was what removing the little capacitor was about when installing the 3D card. Currently, the solution is to power down all the amps before the interface gets shut down, that's fine enough and obviously the "ideal way" to power down a studio, but in a large surround setup that's a lot of speakers to deal with and in a case where I need to quickly power cycle a stubborn interface to get it to show up in the console, it would be nice if I didn't have to power down the entire monitoring system
Hello finishingmove,

actually when upgrading 3d the video instructions say to take out one little capacitator (if I remember correctly) which results in not having any pops when (un)powering. Which is actually exactly like my 3 ULN-8s behave: no sound.

hope this helps.

bojan
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
BJ... can't you just add delays to the outputs on the converter with lower latency to match the two up and be fine or will there still be problems due to other differences in the converters? This always makes me wonder. I try to use the ping feature on the I/O plugin in logic to find the difference in the latency on the converters and then match them up using delays in logic or in the MIOConsole...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think it’s for powering ON the device as it no longer goes click bang when turning it on.
Off I just power down the speakers first the. The ULN8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan_1 View Post
Hello finishingmove,

actually when upgrading 3d the video instructions say to take out one little capacitator (if I remember correctly) which results in not having any pops when (un)powering. Which is actually exactly like my 3 ULN-8s behave: no sound.

hope this helps.

bojan
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan_1 View Post
Hello finishingmove,

hope this helps.

bojan
I removed the correct capacitor during the 3d Upgrade (triple checked this step for accuracy) and can confirm that my particular unit still sends a POP through the outputs when the unit powers down.

It would be great if BJ can confirm the correct behavior post 3D upgrade. Maybe my unit has an issue? Since as you say, your units make no sound when powering down. Does anyone else's 3D upgraded unit send a pop through the outputs on power down when connecting your monitors DIRECTLY to the outputs of the ULN8? As in, not through a separate monitor control that may have its own built-in protection for power up/down. I am not using a separate analog monitor control in my chain (Avocet, Dangerous, etc.) and do not wish to add one, I quite like the built-in monitor control.

Of course, powering down the amps/speakers first is ideal, already using that method
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I can confirm mine pop too. The pop is different than before the upgrade. Less violent maybe but certainly still there and definitely necessitates turning amps on last, which is proper practice anyways, as we all know. But I can sympathize with the disappointment. I don't want an additional monitor controller either. It would be nice to have it turn on silently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mine makes zero noise when turning on my uln8.
Only when I turn it off do a get a slight pop, but not speaker damaging loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
I can confirm mine pop too. The pop is different than before the upgrade. Less violent maybe but certainly still there and definitely necessitates turning amps on last, which is proper practice anyways, as we all know. But I can sympathize with the disappointment. I don't want an additional monitor controller either. It would be nice to have it turn on silently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
I removed the correct capacitor during the 3d Upgrade (triple checked this step for accuracy) and can confirm that my particular unit still sends a POP through the outputs when the unit powers down.

It would be great if BJ can confirm the correct behavior post 3D upgrade. Maybe my unit has an issue? Since as you say, your units make no sound when powering down. Does anyone else's 3D upgraded unit send a pop through the outputs on power down when connecting your monitors DIRECTLY to the outputs of the ULN8? As in, not through a separate monitor control that may have its own built-in protection for power up/down. I am not using a separate analog monitor control in my chain (Avocet, Dangerous, etc.) and do not wish to add one, I quite like the built-in monitor control.

Of course, powering down the amps/speakers first is ideal, already using that method
I'm on my second uln8 with factory installed 3d and both have the pop on power up and down.
Whenever I have to power off and on due to driver issues (separate from powering up and down for the day), which is at least once a day, it means I have to power down all amps and speakers at least 4 times a day often more.

Because i didnt have to install 3d I didnt know about this capacitor or that i could alleviate this loud pop. The pop is annoying since I use the unit in its full capacity as a monitor controller.

Does this mean the cap hasnt been removed? Or is the current unit i have faulty?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi,
just curious...is the 3D CUE controller a digital trim or is it controlling the analog line level output ,as the Monitor Controller does...?
What would you choose to go to a PA system?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
Both my ULN-8 still "pop!" after removing the correct capacitor. I honestly can't recall if they were worse before the update.
Old 3 weeks ago
If there is a way to get rid of the very (very) loud pop when powering up the ULN-2, that would be great. I always turn on monitors after (and generally the ULN is always on), but as the box crashes hard now and then it would be nice if turning the monitors off and on again when power cycling were not necessary.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hey everyone, just a quick question someone here might have experience with, I did try searching the forum and the website but came across nothing very helpful ... I’ve got an opportunity to buy used MH 2882 units (possibly 2) for a good price and I’m looking to get the 3D upgrade to make the connections simple with my computer. Assuming I’m elegible for the upgrade price I would be making a saving!
From my understanding, the units would have to be registered to enable the 3D upgrade prices according to their website, is that correct? If so, I have no idea on the process of transferring ownership so I would be able to get the upgrade, any advice here would be much appreciated!

Note - I have emailed MH about this but I thought I’d ask here as well
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaLT90 View Post
Hey everyone, just a quick question someone here might have experience with, I did try searching the forum and the website but came across nothing very helpful ... I’ve got an opportunity to buy used MH 2882 units (possibly 2) for a good price and I’m looking to get the 3D upgrade to make the connections simple with my computer. Assuming I’m elegible for the upgrade price I would be making a saving!
From my understanding, the units would have to be registered to enable the 3D upgrade prices according to their website, is that correct? If so, I have no idea on the process of transferring ownership so I would be able to get the upgrade, any advice here would be much appreciated!

Important to distinguish between the reduced upgrade price prior to the end of the beta period, and the upgrade price for units bought *new* and the original owner is upgrading. I don't believe used units are eligible.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaLT90 View Post

Quote:
Important to distinguish between the reduced upgrade price prior to the end of the beta period, and the upgrade price for units bought *new* and the original owner is upgrading. I don't believe used units are eligible.
What Miles said. Since the units are used, you'd pay the same price I paid for the ones I bought new 10 years ago and the one I bought used a year ago- the 3D early access price. The really cheap upgrade price was for people who bought new units after MH announced the 3D upgrade, but were still selling 2D units.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Does anyone have any comments on how the ULN-2 is working under windows with the USB class audio driver?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
What Miles said. Since the units are used, you'd pay the same price I paid for the ones I bought new 10 years ago and the one I bought used a year ago- the 3D early access price. The really cheap upgrade price was for people who bought new units after MH announced the 3D upgrade, but were still selling 2D units.
Thanks for your input guys, I’ve got MH on the case checking the serial numbers before I pull the trigger. So far though, it looks like I’d still pay less (I mean €50-200 less in total) but I think I’d prefer to go with a new unit for that price considering it will come with warranty and all that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are the preamps and conversion in the ULN2-3D the same as in the ULN8-3D? The MH website still has the old comparison table between models.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
Are the preamps and conversion in the ULN2-3D the same as in the ULN8-3D? The MH website still has the old comparison table between models.
The preamps are the same, none of the upgrades (2D or 3D) affect the analog section of the boards. I think the conversion is improved, but I don't remember why and didn't run a comparison when I had the chance.

I run a ULN2 along side with my ULN8, both 3D, and I don't think twice about using the ULN2 preamps when tracking or the the conversion when mixing and have never once said to myself "gee, I wish I had another set of ULN8 pres when I tracked that."

But of course, I record in a barn. So YMMV.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
No. The Analog has not changed; the comparison table on the website is accurate for the preamps and the converters.
Old 2 weeks ago
since upgrading to MIO Console V6.0, I have been experiencing a lot more crashes. Weird stuff like I power up the interfaces, launch MIO Console and.... my MAC locks up and crashes.

Have any of you folks been experiencing this as well?

I recognize completely we are working with beta software and this sort of thing is expected while Metric Halo works through fixes. I ask just to learn if this is common and to alert BJ to our experiences.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
since upgrading to MIO Console V6.0, I have been experiencing a lot more crashes. Weird stuff like I power up the interfaces, launch MIO Console and.... my MAC locks up and crashes.

I recognize completely we are working with beta software and this sort of thing is expected while Metric Halo works through fixes. I ask just to learn if this is common and to alert BJ to our experiences.
What unit? LIO-8 3D rock solid on Mac (El Cap) here. Using MH Link.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post

I'm having issues fairly often. Yesterday I suddenly got an output whine that no software setting affected. Turned the interface off and on again and everything was back to normal. Later in the evening the metering died, showing zero activity (also inside plugins) despite sound passing through and plugins working. I'm on a 2018 Mac Mini i5 with latest version of OS X and MH software. Using MHLink
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am having the same issues with a 2018 Mac mini.
I really hope there will be an update soon...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search