The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo 3D Is Here Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It doesn’t use GPU hardware acceleration ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakanai View Post
Not looking to clog up actual MH staff with the shipping question, so to all the users out there, anyone who has received their 3d cards recently when did you order? I'm just trying to guestimate an ETA based on my June 16th order date.
If you ordered directly from MH on June 16, and have not received your shipment you should get in touch with support, as all orders received on June 16th have been shipped (unless the customer requested a shipping hold or ordered it with factory install).

Provide your order number so we can track down what's going on:

Metric Halo - Helpdesk
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
I see the C-9 states function to save the hardware routing and use the interface as a standalone is gone, I loved this function and wonder if will it be usable with 3D card ever again?
Yes - we will restore the ability to save and recall boot-states with future beta release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
MIO 3D mixer is a bit lagging in terms of "snappyness" of UI, you can feel it takes some time to do certain things, such as adding plugins, routing different things into busses etc. I'm using a Mac Pro (6-core Xeon 3.33Ghz) Mac OS 10.12 this shouldn't happen? I hope MH works on optimizing the UI. The older MIO mixer worked like a lightning-fast in comparison, every button had an instant response in change of any paramenter. The 3D MIO mixer needs some time to get used to the "lagginess", but usable I'd say and hoping it gets optimized as we approach to the full version...
While there are still opportunities for further optimization (especially with ensuring that all the updates to the HW are batched), it is pretty much instantaneous for most things on my MacBookPro (with a *large* external monitor).

The only time I see any lag is on the first population of the plugin selector (once per launch) and some complex updates to the routing (and that's down to needing better batching of the HW updates). So if you are experiencing overall laggy-ness in the UI, perhaps something is wrong with how it is working on your particular configuration.

I think we are going to need to get some more info (offlist) - the specific things that are slow, and maybe a screen recording of the problem(s) so that we know what to look for. You can use the bug reporter in MIO Console (Help Menu) to file a bug report about that and we'll reach out to you offlist about the screen recording once we have the bug report.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
If you ordered directly from MH on June 16, and have not received your shipment you should get in touch with support, as all orders received on June 16th have been shipped (unless the customer requested a shipping hold or ordered it with factory install).

Metric Halo - Helpdesk
Ticket opened, thanks
Old 1 week ago
Upgraded two LIO8s, first impression...
  • Sounds better. My general rule—if you listen a few times and can't tell if something is different, then it's not, move on. The 3D upgrade is like a 5% increase in clarity, definitely over the noticeability threshold.
  • Ethernet is great, bye bye firewire forever!
  • Multibox is seamless, routing is much easier now, changing the sample rate changes all boxes.
  • No more messing with both mixer and console windows, it's all one window now.
  • Mixer is quite logical and customizable. Aux sends are great, I've got SpectraFoo on one, can send anything to it to analyze.

The only problem I'm having—it's quirky in remembering routing settings. It keeps changing outs 1-2 back to -30db monitor, even though I never want to use the MH monitor controller. And it keeps assigning my input strip output-routing to the main monitor mix in addition, even though I already have them routed to an external analog mix desk. Also when reopening, I have to clear various input strip sources, and reassign them because they go mute or route to odd places. Annoying, others have this behavior?
Attached Thumbnails
Metric Halo 3D Is Here-console-screen.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingBus View Post
The only problem I'm having—it's quirky in remembering routing settings. It keeps changing outs 1-2 back to -30db monitor, even though I never want to use the MH monitor controller. And it keeps assigning my input strip output-routing to the main monitor mix in addition, even though I already have them routed to an external analog mix desk. Also when reopening, I have to clear various input strip sources, and reassign them because they go mute or route to odd places. Annoying, others have this behavior?
Please file a bug report using the Help > New Bug Report… command.

The bug reports include your Console and monitoring setup as well as logs that will help us figure out what is going on.

Ideally, file one report for each issue you encounter; it makes it easier to track things down and to ensure that each item gets addressed. The bug reporter window in pb2 gives suggestions about what info to include to make the bug reports easy for us to reproduce and resolve.

We'll follow up to figure out what is going on.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

some Feedback:

1) I field installed the 3D upgrade kit to my ULN-2 and, to my surprise, as I'm a hw noob, succeeded. It was a breeze.
What can I do with my 2D now?

2) I installed the Software (pb2) on my late 2013 MacBook Pro and connect the box via MHLink to a Apple Thunderbold/Ethernet-Adaptor. MC3d found the box, everything worked right from the start.

3) to be honest, I can not hear a difference, but I'm no audiphile and have no direct comparison. I was more than satisfied with 2D, and upgraded for the Features, not the Sound. Metric Halo is the ONLY Audio Interface on this planet I am Aware of, which lets me freely route any number of channels out, and in to the Computer, killer, limited to 18ch with 2D, and now, for me, limitless. The +dsp is killer, the whole Software/Hardware is absoluely killer, more so with 3D now. Metric Halo, BJ, you and your Team really rock hard, thanks for your Vision and your will to build it.

4) Some first quick impressions on the UI:

a) sorry to see, but I cant see the reason for having 3 Mixer views in one window, without the abilitiy to left/right scroll, shortcut through the views. Could have been designed as TabStrip on top, too, for example. Or, as unlimited views of the mixer, each in a separate window, with the possibility to hide/unhide/customize strips individually in each view/window and theme each view/window (this would benefit the further development UI-wise concerning multiple-user / multiple-Computer usage).

b) I'd like to see Strip element configuration PER STRIP, for visual claritiys sake. And the possibility to add a "separator Strip" with no Strip Elements at all, for example.

c) I'd like to see rightclick/context menus on the mixer Background (add Input Strip), or a "+"-Icon right of the last Strip, however, any other UI than going through menus, but this was the case with 2D, too, and surely, each user has a different appraoch and preferred way of working

d) I had to wade through the UI changes and got quite confused with the "toHost" Strip element, as it seems to just remember the last Computer channel number and keeps incrementing, until I Relaunch MC3d, weird behavior, which is why I user Direct Outs instead. Wondering what the "toHost" adds to functionality though, which couldnt have been implemented as UI controls on the Direct Outs itself...

e) in the "Analog I/O Pane", I just see the Labels "Inputs", and "Outputs" on the boxes. What am I supposed to see there/use that window for?

f) some Things are weird, like not being able to delete the Main bus (to begin from scratch), not being able to delete a aux, bus, dca, mute Group other than the latest one, but I'm sure thats beng worked on.

g) can we get a "Solo Group", too?

h) How do mute Groups actually work? How do hard mutes work? Is there a diagram on the Strip/UI-Elements/Routing, to get a better overview of the mixer?

i) as character will be re-implemented somewhere in the future, will there be please another Direct Out selector before character is applied?

j) Overall, hope I do not Sound harsh or anything, because I am extraordinarily impressed with what Metric Halo delivered here already with the beta! THANK YOU SO MUCH! To me it's the best Audio Interface, technology wise AND Software/Feature wise and continues to get better and better! Thanks!

Tab
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a case usage question im hoping someone can answer - and it will inform a bunch of us using MH interfaces for essentially the same thing - tracking modular/synths

At the moment im coming from a WMD mixer
Performance Mixer – WMD

into

RIP – WHIMSICAL RAPS

then into my 2882...

The plan is to add my ULN2 and 2882 via Midi - a midi/cv interface into modular
theres a META golden plan and a probably more realistic one

So get 3d cards into the units - then would I would love to avoid a DAW altogether if possible...

IS that possible?

And if not possible to avoid the DAW and record straight to record panel with all the macros and cool stuff in that environment, can i do most of the recording in RP and then transfer to a DAW?

I will be using external effects via sends and have analog 2 buss comp/eq

So really what im confusingly asking is how much can i achieve in the MIO environment forgetting how im gonna drive the midi before i have to go to a DAW for further processing and arrangement

Last edited by dogma; 1 week ago at 04:35 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quick question about I/O selection on the mixer.
Say I want to re route a set of I or O but that specific output/input is in use (greyed out)
I usually have to go to that channel and disable the selected I/O to enable it on another channel.
It would be nice if it just let me select the usually greyed out I/O and automatically disable the other channel it was in use on. Hope that made sense, maybe it already works this way. I haven’t checked.

Last edited by bleep; 1 week ago at 05:29 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You can definitely record right into the RP without any DAW. The files in the RP can be mixed in any DAW later.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I have a case usage question im hoping someone can answer - and it will inform a bunch of us using MH interfaces for essentially the same thing - tracking modular/synths

At the moment im coming from a WMD mixer
Performance Mixer – WMD

into

RIP – WHIMSICAL RAPS

then into my 2882...

The plan is to add my ULN2 and 2882 via Midi - a midi/cv interface into modular
theres a META golden plan and a probably more realistic one

So get 3d cards into the units - then would I would love to avoid a DAW altogether if possible...

IS that possible?

And if not possible to avoid the DAW and record straight to record panel with all the macros and cool stuff in that environment, can i do most of the recording in RP and then transfer to a DAW?

I will be using external effects via sends and have analog 2 buss comp/eq

So really what im confusingly asking is how much can i achieve in the MIO environment forgetting how im gonna drive the midi before i have to go to a DAW for further processing and arrangement
I have a hard time separating your questions. You can dump into 2882 or uln2 via adat all your outputs from your mixer. Not sure how 2882 will handle those inputs, maybe too hot. But seems like you get them all into a stereo signal with RIP. I can output DC outputs via es-3 using my uln2 via adat. They also make an adat i/o to bring DC into the computer. With the adat 3d card you can bring 24 channels of DC coupled i/o using the right hardware.

To convert midi to CV, you can use a max program, a daw plugin or even vcvrack.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

....just curious...can you playback out of the RP to the existing channels?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There were a lot of shoutouts between the “old” ULN-8 and the others before. I always loved the sound of its DAC. According to some comparisons, the weaker part was the AD convertion. I mean, it sounded always good, but a few top units had even a slightly better AD convertion.

I am now very curious if there is an improvement in ADC with this update, since some 3d users here reported that 3d sounds better. Did they mean adc or dac or both?

I wanted to buy a 2CH AD concerter for tracking and later for 2bus. Thought about Pure2 and Acousence adc. Currently I am using Tascam DA3000 which sounds great but I am changing my workflow and need a “normal” adc. I liked ADC of DA3000 better then ULN8.

Maybe the 3d brought also the AD convertion to another level?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
regarding ...."patch and preset management systems are also featured in the ULN-2 Expanded, including a front panel, ten-preset register for standalone operation."

my question and wish is;
could it be done that the hardware buttons of an ULN-2 will also recall connected devices (via MH-Link) like a 2882? Could in future multiple boxes connected via MH-Link be recalled by 1 button from 1 device?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

There is a lot in your post, but a couple of things I want to respond to ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabSel View Post
e) in the "Analog I/O Pane", I just see the Labels "Inputs", and "Outputs" on the boxes. What am I supposed to see there/use that window for?
That window shows the I/O controls in a consolidated area. Since the ULN-2 doesn't have I/O controls it is pretty much blank. We do need to add back I/O metering for the ULN-2; currently it is being driven by the I/O controls, so it doesn't show anything on the ULN-2

Quote:
f) some Things are weird, like not being able to delete the Main bus (to begin from scratch), not being able to delete a aux, bus, dca, mute Group other than the latest one, but I'm sure thats beng worked on.
You won't be able to delete Main. That will always be there. We will add the ability to delete arbitrary aux busses, group busses, DCAs, Mute Groups and Link Groups in a future beta. Right now you can change the number.

Quote:
g) can we get a "Solo Group", too?
You can use link groups to link the solos of a group of faders. Or you can use a DCA as a solo master for a group of faders.

Quote:
h) How do mute Groups actually work?
The UI to turn the Mutes on and off is not in there yet. The closest you get right now would be to use the mute on DCA.

Quote:
How do hard mutes work? Is there a diagram on the Strip/UI Elements/Routing, to get a better overview of the mixer?
Hard mutes disconnect the input from the strip. If you use the Hard Mute, the signal will not go anywhere (its like unplugging the input). This is useful if you want to be able mute pre-fader auxes or if you have a channel that you just don't want going anywhere (recording, or to monitor or comms) - think radio mic on talent that is off-stage/off-set.

There is no diagram at present, but it is pretty much top to bottom.

Quote:
i) as character will be re-implemented somewhere in the future, will there be please another Direct Out selector before character is applied?
Character will be insertable.

Quote:
j) Overall, hope I do not Sound harsh or anything, because I am extraordinarily impressed with what Metric Halo delivered here already with the beta! THANK YOU SO MUCH! To me it's the best Audio Interface, technology wise AND Software/Feature wise and continues to get better and better! Thanks!
Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it and thank you for the feedback!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Nothing but big congrats to the MH team for producing an amazing upgrade their dedication to their fanatical fanbase!
When can users who bought factory install 3d units expect to see them ship?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

My kit is here, perfectly on time. I have looked at the installation video and it’s totally doable, however I’ve decided to wait a few weeks until the software will be more fleshed out. I will be using USB so I also added a Sonnet USB3 card to my Mac Pro. Amazingly, the kit even comes with a quality USB A to C cable.
I have to say that Metric Halo have been excellent through out the process - lightning fast and very helpful reply to emails - and I really appreciate that they honoured the promise of a heavily discounted (almost symbolic) price to those like me who bought the last 2D interfaces. I can’t imagine that coming from many other makers.
Also their UK distributor SCV have been excellent - down to the phone calls to double check that all is good. Again, doesn’t happen too often nowadays.
Very happy to have gone with Metric Halo, I’ll post some impression when I’ll have my 3D ULN-8 up and running.

Last edited by microwave; 4 days ago at 06:16 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I am trying to customize different colours for groups of channels.
Someone can help me?

Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Metric Halo - Helpdesk
Hey BJ,
I ordered via the German website mhlabs.de (I live in the UK) got a confirmation email and the money came out but haven’t received anything. Does your message apply to this as well? Any idea when they will be shipping?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarez1 View Post
Hey BJ,
I ordered via the German website mhlabs.de (I live in the UK) got a confirmation email and the money came out but haven’t received anything. Does your message apply to this as well? Any idea when they will be shipping?
I received my two cards from mhlabs.de this week. Ordered june 16th. So I guess you shouldn't have to wait too long
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine Fabi View Post
I am trying to customize different colours for groups of channels.
Someone can help me?
Select all the channels you want to set to the same color. Click on the color area of one of them. Set the color. They will all have the same color.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarez1 View Post
Hey BJ,
Best to get in touch with Stefan; we sent them a bulk shipment for a large number of orders, but I don't know their shipping schedule for individual customers.

The same would go for other orders placed through our other distributors and dealers; if you placed the order through them you should get in touch with them for shipping info.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Select all the channels you want to set to the same color. Click on the color area of one of them. Set the color. They will all have the same color.
Thanks

The problem was that, in MIO preferences, the strip color was set to "on top and bottom".
It had to be "Full strip".
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
There were a lot of shoutouts between the “old” ULN-8 and the others before. I always loved the sound of its DAC. According to some comparisons, the weaker part was the AD convertion. I mean, it sounded always good, but a few top units had even a slightly better AD convertion.

Maybe the 3d brought also the AD convertion to another level?
My comments were about the DA, listening to reference tracks.

But I also did a test mix—pulled up an existing DAW file, routed out 16 DA to analog gear and summing, recaptured the mix with the AD. This also sounded better, more "3D and defined." But there's no way for me to attribute that, the whole thing just sounded like 5% better. If it's due to better clocking, then both the AD and DA would be better, right?

I also tracked some new stuff, but I don't have anything to compare that to. Easiest to notice with reference tracks I've been listening to for years.

As for an external AD I've been considering a Forssell MADC-2 to capture the analog mix, then going from the Forssell into the AES Edge Card to get back to the computer. Just not sure how much difference it will make vs the already pretty good MH AD?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I‘ve ordered the 3d as well. Looking forward to getting rid of firewire.

When the 3d is installed, I’ll try to compare the AD with my DA-3000 again. And maybe with the Acousence, which I don’t own. if the difference is huge, who knows... then I‘d probably sell some gear I don’t use much so I can afford Acousence. But I am hoping that 3d will be at least on the same level with DA-3000 which is OK. Crazy that even in 2018 the DA convertors cannot capture 100% of the sound coming out of the analog source. Ok, i havent tried those 7k units like prism...

Last edited by Arseny; 5 days ago at 08:50 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

This may have been asked already... but if so, I'm not finding it:

How do you get the Edge Card MIDI to interface with the computer? It doesn't seem to see it as an option in the Audio/Midi Setup utility. Some other way? I'm connecting by MH Link, if that matters.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by milton View Post
This may have been asked already... but if so, I'm not finding it:

How do you get the Edge Card MIDI to interface with the computer? It doesn't seem to see it as an option in the Audio/Midi Setup utility. Some other way? I'm connecting by MH Link, if that matters.

You have to make sure it's seated properly. Once it is, it shows up in the inputs and outputs in the MIO Console (such as in each channel in the inputs at the top of the strip or in the master strips as one of the output options) under Edge Card.

I don't know if it shows up in AMS.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
You have to make sure it's seated properly. Once it is, it shows up in the inputs and outputs in the MIO Console (such as in each channel in the inputs at the top of the strip or in the master strips as one of the output options) under Edge Card.

I don't know if it shows up in AMS.
OK... I can see the EB card (SPDIF/MIDI) in the MIOConsole. But then, as soon as I hit a note, it throws the box offline. I'll submit a bug report.

(Anyone else have this experience?)

Last edited by milton; 4 days ago at 11:38 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by milton View Post
It will show up in AMS if you connect with USB. We do not have a CoreMIDI driver for the Ethernet connection yet.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes - we will restore the ability to save and recall boot-states with future beta release.
That's great news!

Quote:
I think we are going to need to get some more info (offlist) - the specific things that are slow, and maybe a screen recording of the problem(s) so that we know what to look for. You can use the bug reporter in MIO Console (Help Menu) to file a bug report about that and we'll reach out to you offlist about the screen recording once we have the bug report.
A further test showed when I turn off the Nvidia driver (GeForce GTX 680 graphics card that lets me run 10-bit color per channel (30-bit RGB) - something need it for my other works) to the default OSX graphics driver, then the MIO UI is much more "snappier". Not as snappy as the old MIO, but much better as it was with Nvidia driver, now at least I don't have to wait around a second or two for something to happen and level meters show at least something, not popping randomly with a lag like before.

It's strange since most other app UIs work supersnappy with Nvidia driver and there's no difference between OSX or Nvidia graphics drivers. So maybe a thing to look into...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search