The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metric Halo 3D Is Here
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

[QUOTE=CustomStudios;15216063] "And also Longer Tails with Lower parameters on the effects"

Custom Studios I am a novice and your post is the reason this thread is my home page. Thanks heaps for the great tip!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
MIO Monitor Controller w ATC

I am fairly new to MH and am currently trying to use my ULN8's monitor controller with some newly acquired ATC SCM50ASL monitors. These are active monitors currently calibrated at 1V rms input sensitivity. What is the best way to gain stage/level match? I notice in the MIO monitor controller path setup there are options for -10, +4, and 'Monitor'. I've been using the default 'Monitor' level and am pretty close to max on the software dial when briefly mixing at my loudest levels. Is this normal? What is the actual output level of the 'monitor' setting? Any tips on getting these to work best together appreciated!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indrasnet View Post
I am fairly new to MH and am currently trying to use my ULN8's monitor controller with some newly acquired ATC SCM50ASL monitors. These are active monitors currently calibrated at 1V rms input sensitivity. What is the best way to gain stage/level match? I notice in the MIO monitor controller path setup there are options for -10, +4, and 'Monitor'. I've been using the default 'Monitor' level and am pretty close to max on the software dial when briefly mixing at my loudest levels. Is this normal? What is the actual output level of the 'monitor' setting? Any tips on getting these to work best together appreciated!
You'll probably be happier on +4.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
About to buy!!!!

Alright guys! Time to jump onboard!
Planning to order 2x ULN8 3D's and 1x LIO8 3d for use with an iMac Pro most probably running Mojave at this time.

Any words of advice, warnings as the software is still in Beta but for the most part seems rock solid for majority of early adopters!

Cheers!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Can the USB ports be used with USB midi interfaces too?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi!
I have the exact same configuration and I'm not having any issues at all since pb10 the connection is really stable to me. And I'm not having any noises or glitches, I'm also running MIO console with an Avid Artist Mix and it also works great.
Welcome and enjoy
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is anybody successfully running AMD based hackintosh with ULN8-3D?
AMD is currently better bang for the buck then intel. But if there are any known issues, I'd go for Intel.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
AMD is currently better bang for the buck then intel. But if there are any known issues, I'd go for Intel.
I don’t know if something like this would work solidly with a Hackintosh. It would be cool if it did. You wouldn’t get any company support for this configuration I’d imagine. I only wonder as Metric Halo has very specific deep in the system stuff running under the hood to make 3D happen so I don’t know what the dependencies are. Good luck though. I’d be curious to hear if it works.
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi..

I finally got my LIO-8 3D / 4preamp .. I can’t turn it on / check and use it yet .. I made my Custom order for Mac mini 2020 on i7 / 32GB RAM / 1T ssd ..- it will be collected about 1.5- 2 months (as they said in Apple) .. But I chose Inetel i7 because I can always put 64GB of RAM on INTEL ... But 32GB closes all (as I think) questions about working with Plugins in real time, and much more ...

I carefully studied these questions - talked with people from different countries / and studios who work on such configurations of Mac mini - and everything is fine (even 120 tracks without problems in DAW)
This is a 10GB Ethernet ..
This is an Opportunity to put "Sierra" / "Mojave" - ​​which I will immediately do! Because it is Easier for a computer, and Stable for many programs.
This is an opportunity to put WINDOWS! 2 systems in 1.
This is the EGPU connectivity.

I have listed Important things for me personally .. Some people just don’t need it ..

I made a decision that LIO-8 + Mac mini 2020 on i7 = long work, and great opportunities.

But when I wrote a question about the computer in support of MH, they answered that their MH is ready to work on M1 ..
But we all know that many companies that release plugins and other programs are not ready to work with M1 and BigSure ..

I hope I could help you with something.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have opened a support ticket but am hoping someone here may have a suggestion.

M1 Mac mini, ULN8, ethernet, Big Sur, and Logic 10.6.1

ULN8 is not showing up in Logic's audio preferences.

On the MIO console it reads v.pb10-13B but MHLink Driver. NOT LOADED

Have re-downloaded software and driver making sure to unlock Mac security for downloads.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by jayfield; 1 week ago at 04:05 PM..
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi,
I had the same thing. MH sent me a beta driver and everything is ok now
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
I have opened a support ticket but am hoping someone here may have a suggestion.

M1 Mac mini, ULN8, ethernet, Big Sur, and Logic 10.6.1

ULN8 is not showing up in Logic's audio preferences.

On the MIO console it reads v.pb10-13B but MHLink Driver. NOT LOADED

Have re-downloaded software and driver makings sure to unlock Mac security for downloads.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
I know it works, but there is a different procedure for installing the software in Big Sur/M1. Contact Metric Halo and they will instruct what the process is because it’s related to new security aspects of Big Sur and M1 that aren’t there for earlier OS’s. I would tell you here if I knew the procedure but I’m still on Mojave.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I PMed you the link.
As it is Sunday, I hope MH won't mind if I help on this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are people running successfully on Hacks. There is nothing in our code that would preclude an AMD. But obviously, we never test against an AMD (nor does Apple). The biggest problem people seem to run into with Hacks (not specifically AMD hacks) is that the GigE hardware on their Hack is flaky - for normal networking it is fine because dropped packets get retried, but for MHLink it can't be flaky at all (Drivers, HW, Physical layer). Generally when someone hits this we recommend different PCIe Ethernet card; you can ask support about it we have a couple of recommendations IIRC. Other than that, since we won't have the machine you have (or anything like it) there is little we can do to help if you run into problems. So our ability to support you will be limited.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
1) Is Inter/Intranet, MHLink and Dante simultaneously possible in the same Ethernet?
2) How many (PoE GBit) switches can there be between MHLink source and computer?
3) Would it be better to have TWO separate Ethernets, one for IP and another for Dante/MHLink?

I'm building a smart house and want to use my stationary MH Device(s) in the studio room as audio device from any place in the house that is covered by ethernet. Simultaneously I want to have MHLink audio I/O distributed over IP via dante, too, using Dante AVIO adapters.

Thanks
Tab
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabSel View Post
Is Inter/Intranet, MHLink and Dante simultaneously possible in the same Ethernet?
I support!

Very hot topic!

It will be possible to get additional analog outputs / inputs, USB-C 2x2, and even several bluetooth inputs / outputs ..

"The Dante AVIO BLUETOOTH adapter (model ADP-BT-AU-2X1) offers 2-in / 1-out audio data exchange between a Dante network and Bluetooth-enabled devices. The AVIO Bluetooth adapter allows you to connect personal mobile devices, computers, tablets, media players to the network Dante using a wireless Bluetooth connection, Bluetooth 5.0 is supported, the adapter is powered by PoE (Class 1 802.3af).
The adapter is 24-bit, 48 kHz, AES67 compliant, and compatible with large networks using Dante Domain Manager. "

MH already has two physical Ethernet networks (you can purchase a switch if necessary) ..

This will fundamentally change the Rules of the Game ...
Attached Thumbnails
Metric Halo 3D Is Here-dante_avio_bluetooth_2x2_adapter_dlya_podklyucheniya_k_audioseti_dante_2_vkh_2_vykh_kanala_bluet.png   Metric Halo 3D Is Here-avio-2ch-analog-input-curved-cable-trans_800.png   Metric Halo 3D Is Here-avio-2ch-analog-output-curved-cable-trans_800.png   Metric Halo 3D Is Here-dante_avio_usb_c_2x2_adapter_dlya_podklyucheniya_k_audioseti_dante_2_vkh_2_vykh_kanala_usb_c_eth.png  
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rich View Post
Seasons greetings gentlemen. Re. effects, I am 28 days into a free trial of the Sound Toys suite but really, with 3D I've decided to buckle down and do the fx myself. All the tools it seems are provided in Mio. After a very short time I found my reverb graph (HP filter a must) was equal to the competition. And incredible delays(think Grand Canyon!). I was also able to emulate numerous Sound Toys effects with use of the pitch shifter ect. Excellent sound effects can be had with Mio graphs which are right up there with the big boys. If a few of us had a crack and shared graphs here we could smoke the competition...... make that without doubt if BJ dropped an "improved" moog modular style filter into the tool box.
Speaking of custom MH +DSP Graphs... anybody know of resources where these are shared?

Sites like http://www.miozone.org/category/dsp/ and http://www.thesounddesign.com/MIO/?cat=7 have been around for a while... but neither has had updates for many years now.

Any others out there? Or should/could there be a new place to store and share graphs?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by milton View Post
Following your links, I found an old thread with this information:

Converter Latency:

The ULN / LIO converters sound better, but they unfortunately slightly more latency.

2882: A / D 39 samples, D / A 28 samples

LIO-8: A / D 63 samples, D / A 44 samples

So, at any given buffer setting, I believe the LIO will have 40 samples more latency than the 2882 (about .9ms at 44.1k).
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Is this the case today?

I've read some questions here about DAW Latency, but about the difference in converters - this has not been discussed here.
Gear Head

[QUOTE=milton;15228869]Speaking of custom MH +DSP Graphs... anybody know of resources where these are shared?

Everything else MH 3D is discussed/ examples given here so just keep the show rolling on in this thread I would think. Certainly not off topic...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I believe that 3d has not changed the latency inherent in the converters in the different boxes. The clock has been improved, but the converters themselves are the same.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Friends, can I connect two computers likes this?

1. Mac Pro 5.1 with ULN8 + Madi Edge Card
---- 2 MADI CABLES----
2. Windows 10 with 2x PCIe Madi SSL Extreme 64

History:
  • I love my ULN-8 + LIO-8: They feed my analog console only. (I don't record with them)
  • I love Acustica/Nebula Plugins
  • Acustica/Nebula Plugins don't love Apple Macintosh
  • I need a new machine.
  • I don't wanna spend 10+k for a mac
  • I don't want a hackintosh (possible compatibility issues)
  • I wanna build a no compromise win10 machine for mixing @ 96khz .
  • Still want to feed the analog console via Metric Halo.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Friends, can I connect two computers likes this?

1. Mac Pro 5.1 with ULN8 + Madi Edge Card
---- 2 MADI CABLES----
2. Windows 10 with 2x PCIe Madi SSL Extreme 64

History:
  • I love my ULN-8 + LIO-8: They feed my analog console only. (I don't record with them)
  • I love Acustica/Nebula Plugins
  • Acustica/Nebula Plugins don't love Apple Macintosh
  • I need a new machine.
  • I don't wanna spend 10+k for a mac
  • I don't want a hackintosh (possible compatibility issues)
  • I wanna build a no compromise win10 machine for mixing @ 96khz .
  • Still want to feed the analog console via Metric Halo.
I don't see why you would have problems connecting the two computers that way. You just have to make sure that they are speaking the same MADI format, but I've found that synchronizing that has been reasonably trivial.

As far as a new computer goes, you don't have to spend $10k+ for a good Mac. I understand your desire to run Acustica/Nebula plugins efficiently, but the new M1 machines are a massive step up. I have an 8GB/512GB Mac Mini that I just got (very cheaply!) and even though it's using Rosetta 2 and only has 8GB of RAM, it outperforms my 12 core 3.33ghz Mac Pro 5,1 with 32GB of RAM. Bear in mind that I don't use virtual instruments, so YMMV with that, but the bigger machines are coming soon and I'm sure they will be that much better.

I'm still having some issues with bouncing at faster than real time, I'm not sure if it's PT or plugins, but this is the first time I've been able to run so many instances of IK Multimedia Tape. There are some threads here in GS providing accounts of people's experiences with this machines and they seem to be game changers. You might get in touch with Acustica to see if they are testing on M1 machines and what their experience is.

Eventually there will be a Windows MH driver, etc., so in the long run, you may be able to avoid a Mac altogether, if that's your desire.
Gear Head

Graph Metric Halo + DSP%

1 - If I understand correctly, then - if I need a lot of parallel processing of One specific signal (for example Vocal / Kik / Bass and others), then it is correct to use "Graph MH"? At the same time, we do not get any Time "Shifts" between the main "dry" signal, as well as there are no shifts between several compressors / EQ and other inserts - in relation to the "dry" signal .. Do I understand correctly?

Or - If you assign the same "dry" signal (voice from DAW) to 3 channels in MIO - put Character + MIO Strip on 1 channel, insert Compressor / EQ on channel 2, and insert Compressor / EQ / Character on channel 3 - then with a general summing to MAIN will there be Delay / Discrepancy between all Three channels with Different inserts?

Please give an exact practical answer to this ..

We all know that in any DAW, all these processes already occur Automatically, and we have not "counted" delays Between channels for a long time ...

How does this happen in MH boxes on their DSP and MIO?
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ------------------
2 - Which of the two options (above) will use More / Less DSP%? But the result will be the same in the end.Ин Ян
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Does anybody know: can the ULN2-2 be powered by extracting power off a PoE Ethernet Link or by extracting power off a MacBook Pros usb-c Port? Is there any way to power a ULN2-2 without the wall wart, just via a cable that will be linked to/from a plugged MacBook Pro?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabSel View Post
Does anybody know: can the ULN2-2 be powered by extracting power off a PoE Ethernet Link or by extracting power off a MacBook Pros usb-c Port? Is there any way to power a ULN2-2 without the wall wart, just via a cable that will be linked to/from a plugged MacBook Pro?
ULN2-2?

The ULN2 3D can only be powered by the wall wart.

ULN2 Legacy and 2D models can be powered via the firewire connection.
📝 Reply