The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid Sync - Info on accuracy Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 10th June 2018
Gear Nut

Avid Sync - Info on accuracy

Guys and Girls,

Avid SNYC Module... ???

Yesterday I picked up an Avid SYNC module for Nothing... seriously, it was bundled.

I've been Slaving to one IO and looping all this time waiting for a good Clock to become available.

I need your Advice and Opinions on the Performance of the Avid Sync Module (Clock?). And... what format of sync would you recommend.

Thanks
Seriously Seeking Sync,

Bob
Old 12th June 2018
Lives for gear

if you have HDX i dont think its gonna work.
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Nut

Won't work? Please Elaborate

Deuc,

Could you elaborate?

Thanks
Bob
Old 12th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Bob View Post
Deuc,

Could you elaborate?

Thanks
Bob
The digidesign sync HD isnt the same as the avid sync HD I/O. Same machine but dont work for some reason. Do you hve the one that says avid on the left hand side?
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
The digidesign sync HD isnt the same as the avid sync HD I/O. Same machine but dont work for some reason. Do you hve the one that says avid on the left hand side?
Actually they are the same. And they both work with the current generation of HDX.

The one to avoid is the one lacking "HD". That will not work.

The blue and grey faced (new looking design) versions are internally the same for the Sync HD models.

As for how good/useful it is: not really useful unless you are using it for the other features (Satellite lockup, genlock, LTC, etc.) As just a master clock, the HD I/O clock is as good as the Sync HD clock.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Actually they are the same. And they both work with the current generation of HDX.

The blue and grey faced (new looking design) versions are internally the same for the Sync HD models.

As for how good/useful it is: not really useful unless you are using it for the other features (Satellite lockup, genlock, LTC, etc.) As just a master clock, the HD I/O clock is as good as the Sync HD clock.
Mine comes in monday, gonna see what the deal is with it. I said when all this started that I was gonna buy one and try it out to see if I hear any improvement.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

the sync box is more than just a clock. i use it as my SMPTE clock and slave video decks, tape machines, old mpc's etc... and i use it way more often than you would think
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

How do you have yours hooked up?
Old 15th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post

Ah yes - there’s the “sync io” and the “sync HD”. The “sync io” is the most common one in recording studios (not post). The old generation one doesn’t work on HDX.

I’ve never even seen a sync HD I don’t think - I certainly couldn’t say which works with what.

I concur that there little point in adding one unless you need it’s features, despite what certain posters confused about DAW buffers seem to think!
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Ah yes - there’s the “sync io” and the “sync HD”. The “sync io” is the most common one in recording studios (not post). The old generation one doesn’t work on HDX.

I’ve never even seen a sync HD I don’t think - I certainly couldn’t say which works with what.

I concur that there little point in adding one unless you need it’s features, despite what certain posters confused about DAW buffers seem to think!
So you dont think one is gonna sound better than the other, or for better words, one that uses the sync and one that doesnt? Cuz at the end of the day its all about the sound no? I have no dog in this fight, I bought it to test out a theory and if not ill get rid of it lol.
Old 15th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
So you dont think one is gonna sound better than the other, or for better words, one that uses the sync and one that doesnt? Cuz at the end of the day its all about the sound no? I have no dog in this fight, I bought it to test out a theory and if not ill get rid of it lol.
I'm a firm believer in not overcomplicating things.

If you only have one interface and no need to chase external timecode, I don't see that an external clock made by the same company that makes the interfaces will improve things.

I used to run 3 x 192 with the sync io on TDM, and I never noticed any difference between when the first interface was the master, and when it was the sync io. Certainly not a massive change in tone or anything. when I upgraded to HDio, it just made sense to leave the 1st interface as master (since most of the time I was monitoring stereo and recording less than 16 ins). Since moving to HDX I couldn't use the Sync io anyway and haven't missed it.

Less than scientific, but it's definitely not "night and day"!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search