The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who has problems with DPC latency/real time audio processing on the Dell XPS 9560???
Old 8th June 2018
Here for the gear
Who has problems with DPC latency/real time audio processing on the Dell XPS 9560???

Okay who has this laptop for working with Ableton and literally cannot stand it anymore? Mine has issues with DPC latency which is the ability to keep up with real time audio processing. I've got the (near) top of the line model with 4K and an i7-7700hq with 16gb of RAM. This thing cannot even handle basic YouTube videos without running into dropped frames every 10 seconds or so. When using this for a live performance -- let's say -- the audio skips randomly even with an external audio interface (M-Audio Quad). This does not happen on my desktop PC ever when I have that same interface plugged in. The sound card on the laptop is pure trash. I've started from scratch and updated all the drivers and yet, this problem still persists. I am about to sell the damn thing and get a MacBook Pro 15 2017 with the d/GPU and just be done with it. I am a lifelong windows user and have never considered macs until now. If anyone knows how to save me, that would be wonderful!! (So I don't have to spend another 500 for the mac!!)
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

I bought a Dell "gaming" Inspiron laptop last year to use for on-site recording. As much as I tried I couldn't tweak it to be of any use in recording. It still had Latency Mon noted issues and would get intermittent dropouts. I returned the laptop to the original Dell factory setup and I installed a second SSD (it came with an M.2 SSD and space for a standard size laptop hard drive or SSD). I created a Win 10 ISO install flash drive using the Windows Media Creation Tool and installed a second copy of Win 10 on the second SSD. I only installed minimum required drivers. That "fixed" the problems and I can "record all day" without any issues. I have it setup as dual-boot, either to the Dell installation or my "recording" installation.

I do user support on the Dell forums and have recommended this approach to another user on that forum and they did what I am doing.

Windows 10 Media Creation tool instructions from the tenforums.com
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-iso-file.html
Old 8th June 2018
Sadly XPS models have very poor DPC latency out of the box. This is due mostly to the bloatware Dell installs from factory. But as fireberd said, a fresh installation fixes it. This happens with lot of brands and models, so don't worry, not a hardware fault
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Head

Or just delete or disable the unwanted Dell software (which is much easier than a Windows re-install).
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

I tried just deleting the Dell software and that didn't fix the problems. I even deleted some other items and still had Latency issues.
Maybe in older Operating Systems that would work but not today.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search