The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which SKnote plugin to buy? Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th August 2018
Gear Addict

SKnote - a word of caution (reason why - story inside) (Topic in the 'Effects' forum) | KVR Audio Forum

Something isn't adding up with this company. [/QUOTE]

I am so going to read this thread you're pointing on to!

Krešo
Old 25th August 2018
I think it's important to remember that developers are artists and we all know that artists can be difficult to deal with. You take it for what it is or you don't. I think Sknote plugins would be a lot more expensive if Mr. Sardo had to put customer service people on the payroll.
Old 26th August 2018
SKnote selling you uncomplete products, with no further support. But what is more disturbing - when you call for moneyback {SKnote has this guarantee} nobody respond or give you money back. I must use PayPal resolution for get my money. Absolute ignorance from the company side.

Soundwise - a lot of hype about the sound. I returned every one plugin after testing it.
Old 26th August 2018
Here for the gear

Any SKnote thread eventually attracts it's share of complaints. Which I don't have a problem with. I appreciate reading all opinions, good and bad.

But the way I look at it, I'm buying a 30 dollar plugin with the hopes of getting something useful out of it. I'm not expecting perfection, and I'm not even expecting superior service. If I were spending, say $100, I would expect those things.

And as far as 30-dollar plugins go, SKNote makes good ITB compressors. Between them, Stillwell, Klanghelm and Tokyo Dawn, you could cover every possible base as far as compression goes and not break the bank doing it.

To me, the SDC is different enough from everything else out there, that it's worth having even if you already have 100 other comps. You can't expect it to sound like the $6K hardware it models. Just get it because it's different from what you have and it sounds good for a software comp.
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Addict

His plugins are a bit crap and he is a piece of work
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman View Post
SKnote selling you uncomplete products, with no further support. But what is more disturbing - when you call for moneyback {SKnote has this guarantee} nobody respond or give you money back. I must use PayPal resolution for get my money. Absolute ignorance from the company side.

Soundwise - a lot of hype about the sound. I returned every one plugin after testing it.

Absolute rubbish.i literally only got a refund from Sknote a week ago for a plugin i had been "demoing"on and off for 2 months.after sending the request for a refund to Quinto directly with the transaction ID i had a response about 4hours later and i had the refund the next day.to add to that i even got my credit points back that i had used to make the purchase, which was very much welcome but unexpected.this has been my personal experience with the refund policy.i have not once had to chase up a refund from Sknote via Paypal's resolution service nor is it anybodies experience i know who also own Sknote plugins.

You are entitled to your opinions about the sound,i was never big on Sknote until CH5 and Disto,but everything after that has been leagues above most other native algorithmic offerings,specifically in regards to analog modelling.his Neve model is easily one of the best native offerings and the model itself is a hell of a lot deeper than that of Slates or BRA's PRE73 (just fiddle round with the EQ and listen to how it,the inductors and transformers all interact with low drive settings)

I swear some people just come on these forums to simply fling **** at other developers.i highly doubt you have even owned a single plugin and are just going with the general consensus of Sknote at KVR (permeated by Compyfox who is possibly one of the most petty human beings i have unfortunately ever encountered on the internet)
Old 26th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Absolute rubbish.i literally only got a refund from Sknote a week ago for a plugin i had been "demoing"on and off for 2 months.after sending the request for a refund to Quinto directly with the transaction ID i had a response about 4hours later and i had the refund the next day.to add to that i even got my credit points back that i had used to make the purchase, which was very much welcome but unexpected.this has been my personal experience with the refund policy.i have not once had to chase up a refund from Sknote via Paypal's resolution service nor is it anybodies experience i know who also own Sknote plugins.

You are entitled to your opinions about the sound,i was never big on Sknote until CH5 and Disto,but everything after that has been leagues above most other native algorithmic offerings,specifically in regards to analog modelling.his Neve model is easily one of the best native offerings and the model itself is a hell of a lot deeper than that of Slates or BRA's PRE73 (just fiddle round with the EQ and listen to how it,the inductors and transformers all interact with low drive settings)

I swear some people just come on these forums to simply fling **** at other developers.i highly doubt you have even owned a single plugin and are just going with the general consensus of Sknote at KVR (permeated by Compyfox who is possibly one of the most petty human beings i have unfortunately ever encountered on the internet)
I only told my story with this company, which is real.

As for sound - you only wish they sound leagues above. Marconi is real trash sounding.
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman View Post
I only told my story with this company, which is real.

As for sound - you only wish they sound leagues above. Marconi is real trash sounding.
And i call bull**** on your "story"or perhaps it is just that in the literal sense.a story which doesn't seem st odds with the general consensus of a certain other forum

Please do tell me enlightened one which plugins don't sound like "Trash"to you so i can be more informed upon my decisions in future
Old 26th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Please do tell me enlightened one which plugins don't sound like "Trash"to you so i can be more informed upon my decisions in future
Antelope FPGA, UAD, FabFilter, Nebula....

but it speaks for all that you also claim refund from SKnote
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Addict

I will only say what I always say. There will always be pro & contra. For everything.

I am sure 100% that 99% in every forum including this one don't have a clue how vintage (real) Shadow Hills, Pultec and all we are looking for in plugins sound like.

Also, there is pretty big hype on some devs who managed to render life-like GUI but does it mean that their algo is better than some other less life-like GUI?

While we are here and with this sknote thread I will just say that Disto-S and SDC does the job pretty good. Who doesn't like it can alwqys decide for something else. If a person doesn't like some product does it necesserily mean it's sh***?

Instead of trying to come up with the answers to the OP which one to take and why, this thread turned to bashing on sknote and Mr. Sardo himself.

You don't like him or plugins? Don't like the look? Feel? Don't buy. Period! If you do like, tell the person who asked for the guidance what to buy and is it worth it.

Best to all you Slutz here!

Krešo
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Head

I have been using Roundtone on lead and backing vocals since around 5 or so years ago. I own other tape emulations but Roundtone usually does the job for me.

Also, Mr Sardo has been quick to reply and pleasant to deal with in my two or three email exchanges with him.

Old 26th August 2018
f33
Gear Addict

its just so weak to troll a post with another forum post from 2014???

quinto returned my money within the day i requested, i bought the echo when it was only AAX not au or vst, no questions, no problems
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Guru
Wait a minute the whole 4 year old thread was based on a complaint about Stripbus which works fine! Anyone who couldn’t make it work really should find another field. It also got a major update for free. What’s the problem?
Old 2nd September 2018
Here for the gear

Just buy Disto. Everyone should own Disto.
Old 2nd September 2018
Gear Maniac

yep, I bought Disto-S recently, and have used it on everything since. Just stick it on the drum buss, choose 6:1, play with the input gain until it sounds awesome, then dial it back a bit and reduce the hot knob a bit (I find that that leads to distortion ridiculously quickly otherwise). Also click the HP button.

I tried this after reading an interview with Stephen Street who gave a similar tip with the real hardware. Like most morons, I simply found the cheapest distressor plugin to try out, and gave it a shot. So despite the fact that it is probably nothing like what the awesome Mr Street achieves, I ended up really liking the effect!

I've seen those threads about SKnote before, but I don't really care to be honest. I do a lot of open source software work though, so I'm used to how code development actually works in practise.
Old 2nd September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post
I've seen those threads about SKnote before, but I don't really care to be honest. I do a lot of open source software work though, so I'm used to how code development actually works in practise.

Yea, I rather like the cut of his jib at times.

The way people treat software developers .... they basically stand around and abuse them. Your software has a glitch. You must fix it this instant or you are worse than if Hitler and Satan had a child. I hate you. Pretty please fix it?

If I were him, I might just tell everyone to F off myself. It's not like your life savings have been wasted if his plugin isn't perfect. If you're 80% happy with a plugin you only dropped 30 bucks on, then consider it a win and move on.
Old 3rd September 2018
f33
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBs_Rawk View Post
Yea, I rather like the cut of his jib at times.

The way people treat software developers .... they basically stand around and abuse them. Your software has a glitch. You must fix it this instant or you are worse than if Hitler and Satan had a child. I hate you. Pretty please fix it?

If I were him, I might just tell everyone to F off myself. It's not like your life savings have been wasted if his plugin isn't perfect. If you're 80% happy with a plugin you only dropped 30 bucks on, then consider it a win and move on.
exactly.

when i got back into music and went to forums, like gearslutz, i realized that there are gonna be criticism and bickering, but KVR is SOOOOO petty. In that sense KVR is the worst forum ive ever been too.
Old 3rd September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f33 View Post
when i got back into music and went to forums, like gearslutz, i realized that there are gonna be criticism and bickering, but KVR is SOOOOO petty. In that sense KVR is the worst forum ive ever been too.
Worse than this one???

I just think that anyone who wants to scream in the ear of some developer ... needs to spend one day working as a programmer.

Or attempt the following exercise: Go to work and do your job as normal. But hire 20 people to stand around you and verbally abuse you all day. You now have an understanding of what it's like to be a developer.

My old boss had a joke he used to say: The beatings will commence until morale improves.
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Maniac

I agree disto is worth the leap for the price. Some of his other plugs sound good like SDC but dont go on his word about an update or feature you read on a forum. I bought SDC in anticipation for AAX support which was at the time already late but at this point I'm over it.
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Guru
I repeat, most of that KVR forum was about and spent bashing Stripbus 2 which was and is fine. Complaining about a free upgrade to a product that works and is far less expensive and just as good as VCC and Britson (I own all three), is petty. As far as the personal attacks Quinto is Sicilian so English is a second language, and if you look at his responses I don't think his sense of humor translates. They jumped all over him for being snarky, and that's why I don't take that forum seriously.....

To dig that 4 year old crap out on a thread based on advice on what to us is also petty. Start a thread in the Moan Zone. That's what it is there for. OR bring up an actual problem YOU have had and not some internet crap....
Old 4th September 2018
Here for the gear

Gearslutz exists for the sole benefit of the advertisers.

It's very obvious that the reason all of the Sknote "love fest" posts are so rampant around Gearslutz ... is because sknote doesn't advertise with GS. If they did, then any negative criticism directed at SKnote would be poof! within minutes. Truth be told, Slate, Universal Audio, etc. all get just as much negative comments. We just don't get to see them because they are moderated instantly.

And for proof of this, do the following:

1) If you're reading this post, bookmark it, and come back in a day or two. IT WILL BE GONE.

2) Go create an account on KVR Audio, where people are actually allowed to make comments and carry conversations with far less moderation. Still not perfect, but much better than here.
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Guru
Not sure about that, I see a lot of criticism of Slate and others on here. In my praise of Quinto, it also bears recognizing he had huge growing pains with his website, and also was guilty of over enthusiatic premature announcements. I think every developer has learned that lesson..... I never had a problem with his public beta style releasing but others did, and frustration is frustration. Of course GS is geared towards advertising, I'd imagine it's not easy running such a sophisticated site.

What I think is the best thing, is I've gotten a lot of technical help on here. I've also got informed opinion on products, and found resources that have been very helpful to my music production. I also get some laughs.......Ads are very unobtrusive, no pop ups, etc....
Old 4th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Not sure about that, I see a lot of criticism of Slate and others on here. In my praise of Quinto, it also bears recognizing he had huge growing pains with his website, and also was guilty of over enthusiatic premature announcements. I think every developer has learned that lesson..... I never had a problem with his public beta style releasing but others did, and frustration is frustration. Of course GS is geared towards advertising, I'd imagine it's not easy running such a sophisticated site.
Amazon is also geared towards selling product, and helping advertisers and other 3rd party vendors get prime placement in search results, etc.

But they don't censor out the negative comments.

Yelp.com is very popular for showing reviews of local businesses. But they don't monitor negative comments either.

This is how advertising-supported outlets are supposed to do business. And if they don't, they should expect to be called out on it. And to be perfectly honest, we don't even see 1/4 of the comments in any Steven Slate thread. Any slate thread you read is basically a series of edits. The mods just go on deleting frenzies. And yes, they'll leave maybe one or two negative comments behind, just so it looks legit. They're usually the dumbest ones. it actually helps a company when any criticism you see is mostly posted by people with bad grammar and poor communications skills.

The problem this creates is that now, not only do you have a mildly-irritated customer, but now you have a customer who feels like his concerns are being swept under a rug and censored. Now you've just taken your mildly-irritated but harmless customer, and gave him a mission and purpose in life. :-)
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Police View Post
Amazon is also geared towards selling product, and helping advertisers and other 3rd party vendors get prime placement in search results, etc.

But they don't censor out the negative comments.

Yelp.com is very popular for showing reviews of local businesses. But they don't monitor negative comments either.

This is how advertising-supported outlets are supposed to do business. And if they don't, they should expect to be called out on it. And to be perfectly honest, we don't even see 1/4 of the comments in any Steven Slate thread. Any slate thread you read is basically a series of edits. The mods just go on deleting frenzies. And yes, they'll leave maybe one or two negative comments behind, just so it looks legit. They're usually the dumbest ones. it actually helps a company when any criticism you see is mostly posted by people with bad grammar and poor communications skills.

The problem this creates is that now, not only do you have a mildly-irritated customer, but now you have a customer who feels like his concerns are being swept under a rug and censored. Now you've just taken your mildly-irritated but harmless customer, and gave him a mission and purpose in life. :-)
Hey every time I read a Slate thread (like the new API style eq), there are about 5 pages of bitching about the rack, stand alone's, and the subscription model, etc. Every time. UA the dongle and the UA system and pricing never fails to surface. Gets pretty heated...

I personally hate this stuff because I think developers should have a positive spin on new product announcements, not pricing, GUI and other dumb sidetracks. Honestly I've seen new product threads that talk about the color of the GUI or what it should cost, for most of the announcement (God forbid iLok!). There are a lot of guys that troll threads and say the same tired crap over and over. SKNote has gotten it a lot, and I get really tired of the fanboi/troll discussions. Dedicated threads, fair game. But there guys are very small businesses so new products, should talk about sound and features.

Personally I don't particularly like the Yelp culture. If you work in a restaurant anyone can trash you for no reason and that's your reputation. You have no recourse to tell your side of it. At least on here, people can and do debate...

I happen to like Slate, Quinto, UBK Greg, Slate and TDR Fabien (naming a few), who come on here and talk about their products. Of course they are selling a product but often are gathering reaction and crafting a better one. I think most people on here are sophisticated enough to know when they're being "sold", and don't react well to it. There are a lot of buyer beware threads on here. Where else can you interact with developers? Pick up Tape Op or SOS and you won't find much trashing of advertised products. I think GS is pretty good on that score as there are some pretty brutal takedowns I've seen, makes for great entertainment....

Anyway, SKNote I like Stripbus, Roundtone, Marconi, STA, Rev250, Soundbrigade. Fooler is interesting, never got that heavy into compression to use it but was free, as was Marconi. Think it's interesting he's into hardware also. Seems to be really ADD, and amazing is doing from a lovely island.
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I personally hate this stuff because I think developers should have a positive spin on new product announcements, not pricing, GUI and other dumb sidetracks. Honestly I've seen new product threads that talk about the color of the GUI or what it should cost, for most of the announcement (God forbid iLok!). There are a lot of guys that troll threads and say the same tired crap over and over. SKNote has gotten it a lot, and I get really tired of the fanboi/troll discussions. Dedicated threads, fair game. But there guys are very small businesses so new products, should talk about sound and features.

Personally I don't particularly like the Yelp culture. If you work in a restaurant anyone can trash you for no reason and that's your reputation. You have no recourse to tell your side of it. At least on here, people can and do debate...
@ ardis and all Slutz here!

I snipped a lot of your post but you follow me, right?

I completely agree with you and that is why I am writing this. Beside the fact of many unneeded and unpolite, foolish and empty posts I still dig GearSlutz because of few people here who are real gentlemen, polite, with a lot of knowledge and experience and willing to tell, share or steer you away if you ask something. Not immediately replies like "that's sh***t", "you don' t have a clue" etc...

Thank GS for those mentioned few!

Stay coll, be nice and keep on making music world a better place!

Krešo
Old 4th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
I completely agree with you and that is why I am writing this. Beside the fact of many unneeded and unpolite, foolish and empty posts I still dig GearSlutz because of few people here who are real gentlemen, polite, with a lot of knowledge and experience and willing to tell, share or steer you away if you ask something. Not immediately replies like "that's sh***t", "you don' t have a clue" etc...

Personally my fee-fees don't get hurt if I have to sift through the negative Nancies and the Trolls. I operate under the theory of "this is the internet, it's 2018 and I'm a big boy so get over it."

My personal BS detector is far more advanced than a power-tripping moderator with a thirst to ban. I don't need him/her to do the deleting for me. My brain does it automatically. It's like a well-tuned BS-filter machine.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
What drives me nuts about Yelp are all of the people complaining when a waiter doesn't read their mind, or those who feel entitled to 5-star treatment at McDonalds' prices. Which, unfortunately, I believe our pals at Sknote might be experiencing.

With that said, as a proud American, every negative, annoying post is an example of our freedom. It seems rather silly that so many great men have sacrificed their lives for the right of the annoying person to write their cringe-worthy Yelp review, but we can't allow ourselves to forget it or take it for granted.

I understand freedom of expression has been facing some of it's own challenges lately in your fine country. Not to steer this discussion in to politics.
Old 7th September 2018
f33
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_unit View Post
What drives me nuts about Yelp are all of the people complaining when a waiter doesn't read their mind, or those who feel entitled to 5-star treatment at McDonalds' prices. Which, unfortunately, I believe our pals at Sknote might be experiencing.

With that said, as a proud American, every negative, annoying post is an example of our freedom. It seems rather silly that so many great men have sacrificed their lives for the right of the annoying person to write their cringe-worthy Yelp review, but we can't allow ourselves to forget it or take it for granted.

I understand freedom of expression has been facing some of it's own challenges lately in your fine country. Not to steer this discussion in to politics.
wat?
Old 25th September 2018
f33
Gear Addict

so what sknote plug in you buyin next lifewhyz?
Old 1st October 2018
Here for the gear
At first because of all the trolling on Sknote threads I was skeptical about Quinto's plugins. After reading further I actually liked his snarky comments to those expecting, or demanding upgrades for products that others were very pleased with so I gave Strip a shot.

I now own almost all his plugins. I use them in Reaper, Cubase, and Mixbus. Aside from a few quirks that to my knowledge (at least for me) the new updates have cured these, and they all currently work well. I have received all updates for free some of which were exceptional improvements over already fantastic tools, and some have been completely new versions that I was able to also keep the original, and use both.

I have no experience with returns because at the low prices I have paid I have found them far more useful then the cash I spent, and have not returned a single one. SDR, Disto, Cuttertone, Marconi, all of his reverbs, and most of his compressors are some of the best I have used. I've gotten to where I use mostly Sknote, Klanghelm, and TDR because the way they use the honor system instead of making me jump through hoops to reinstall or slow down my load time in Mixbus.

I still use IK products, and Toontrack, but no longer bother with Waves, sold my UAD products, and stopped using almost everything else except VSTI

I could not be happier then now, after ridding myself of all the fuss with copy protection.

I have not tried Sknote's online mastering mainly because of Sknote SDC, Cuttertone, Klanghelm SDDR. and Mixbuss seem to make it unnecessary.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search