The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most Magic Plugins Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I have Character with the MH 3D DSP license, I'll give it a pop. Any particular models stand out?
I haven’t installed 3D in my ULN yet. (Core audio driver issues with current Macs, chased enough bugs down as it is... Curious how the beta's going overall though.) I’m assuming the 3d version of Character’s still identical to the 2d+ and/or plugin version?

I work mostly in the box so I tend to like the more colorful stuff… Some of my favorites are FET, American Transformer 2, California Tube Line, Modern Tube Sym, American Solid State, and British Mic Pre Clone.

Everything’s top notch though, very different sounding from other DSP-based saturation. Some models expanding dynamics instead of clipping things off…
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post
I haven’t installed 3D in my ULN yet. (Core audio driver issues with current Macs, chased enough bugs down as it is... Curious how the beta's going overall though.) I’m assuming the 3d version of Character’s still identical to the 2d+ and/or plugin version?

I work mostly in the box so I tend to like the more colorful stuff… Some of my favorites are FET, American Transformer 2, California Tube Line, Modern Tube Sym, American Solid State, and British Mic Pre Clone.

Everything’s top notch though, very different sounding from other DSP-based saturation. Some models expanding dynamics instead of clipping things off…
Thanks, I'll do some testing. I use Reaper so will setup a few IO roundtrips through various Character channels, should be a fun way to print/test.

3D is great, btw. Rock solid for me so far (MHLink over ethernet).
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Maniac
Just drop a UAD EQP-1A on your mixbus (or in your mastering chain) - don't twiddle - change nothing - sit back and wonder! Magic really is the right word!
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Head

New things seem to keep popping up all the time.

My current 'analog magic' plugins would be SoftTube Tape, Kazrog True Iron, UBK1, and Clariphonic. Between those and Soundtoys, things tend to sound less digital than before.
Old 22nd February 2019
Here for the gear

EQ: TDL VOS Slick EQ
Distortion: Soundtoys Decapitator
Delay: Soundtoys Echoboy
Reverb: Audio Ease's Alitverb
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by nambams View Post
New things seem to keep popping up all the time.

My current 'analog magic' plugins would be SoftTube Tape, Kazrog True Iron, UBK1, and Clariphonic. Between those and Soundtoys, things tend to sound less digital than before.
+1 for "tape" - I've got all the UAD tape simulations but find myself using Softube Tape more than all of them put together these days - and it only cost about £40 in a sale!

Big fan of Soundtoys too - Echoboy is just the best delay, Decapitator is awesome, Little Radiator is great for adding dirt. Crystaliser is just mental.

A compressor I never hear anyone mention is NI's Supercharger GT, despite having lots of high end alternatives I find myself using Supercharger GT wherever I want fat and warm. (great on drums and bass) worth grabbing when NI have a big sale (note "GT" - not the standard supercharger.) for people who have Komplete - GT can be bought for £20 when there's a sale on. Just do it! You won't be disappointed.
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
Metric Halo Character is criminally overlooked.... let's just keep it to ourselves then
Metric Halo Character is on sale now for $24
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Daniel Rothmann AIR,

pull that dusty blanket that lives on your speakers OFF.
Works on Vocals, Bass, Samples, Mixbus.. your call (..cough... it's free..)

Spiff on delta mode.. re-inject some true signal.. does wonders even on the mixBus on electronic stuff..
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Daniel Rothmann AIR,
Thanks, I wasn't aware of it..

For the other side of audio spectrum, after all those years I like Waves RBass or MaxxBass. When used tastefully and in right situation, it still classifies as a magic to me Be it single tracks, groups or sometimes even full mixes... there are lot of similar processors, but those two are very well thought.

Michal
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Thanks, I wasn't aware of it..

For the other side of audio spectrum, after all those years I like Waves RBass or MaxxBass. When used tastefully and in right situation, it still classifies as a magic to me Be it single tracks, groups or sometimes even full mixes... there are lot of similar processors, but those two are very well thought.

Michal
Completely agree! I favor Maxxbass and use it in every project til' this day.
Denise Audio Bass XL is different beast and worth of check also..
Old 12th April 2019
Gullfloss makes the list, totally.

Good dynamic was like ozone 8, sonnox, or TDR make the list (for me).

Maag eq4 is slightly less useful for me, than kush clariphonic. I've been seeking a replacement for kush clariphonic.

Aside from that, my one word answers is "airwindows." An additional word is FREE.

150+ free plugins for mac os, windows or linux... by @ chrisj -- no strings attached, no install exe or anything like that (no malware, spyware, viruses, ad schemes, or trickery). He is supported by Patreon.

His plugins aren't emulations, but in many cases are seeking to acquire similar sounding results to that of analog. He is an analog junky, who had built hardware and coded what I feel are genius types of plugins. Most of his plugins are like 1 unit for 1 purpose or process, so it maximizes flexibility. They don't come with a GUI so you depend on your DAW for that (or a wrapper plugin).

Any EQ inside airwindows console/channel/buss encode/decode systems will be more "magic"... specifically with condole5, 6, and purest. Purestgain, desk in combo.. are winners. Hands down, airwindows beats all other console types of plugins or digitally dedigned systems for mimicking the resulting sound types of the beautiful analog warmth.

Airwindows acceleration is magic for controlling highs, mostly inaudibly.

BassKit for lows, on master buss or even channels (earlier versions are more extreme and for instrument channel shaping).

Buttercomp2 is my go-to glue compressor, replacing "the glue," or any other glue comp, which I had stopped using in 2016.

Pro-Q 2 or 3 EQ match seems fairly "magic" but isn't really meeting my analog preferring snobby standards. DMG equilibrium is recommended by others, for good reason.

uLaw is, IMHO, the most "magic" plugin to ever exist... but not for reasons that most musicians would desire.

NotJustAnotherDither is the best dither, in most cases, for final renderings of 24 bit products (NJACD for 16 bit).
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post
Gullfloss makes the list, totally.

Good dynamic was like ozone 8, sonnox, or TDR make the list (for me).

Maag eq4 is slightly less useful for me, than kush clariphonic. I've been seeking a replacement for kush clariphonic.

Aside from that, my one word answers is "airwindows." An additional word is FREE.

150+ free plugins for mac os, windows or linux... by @ chrisj -- no strings attached, no install exe or anything like that (no malware, spyware, viruses, ad schemes, or trickery). He is supported by Patreon.

His plugins aren't emulations, but in many cases are seeking to acquire similar sounding results to that of analog. He is an analog junky, who had built hardware and coded what I feel are genius types of plugins. Most of his plugins are like 1 unit for 1 purpose or process, so it maximizes flexibility. They don't come with a GUI so you depend on your DAW for that (or a wrapper plugin).

Any EQ inside airwindows console/channel/buss encode/decode systems will be more "magic"... specifically with condole5, 6, and purest. Purestgain, desk in combo.. are winners. Hands down, airwindows beats all other console types of plugins or digitally dedigned systems for mimicking the resulting sound types of the beautiful analog warmth.

Airwindows acceleration is magic for controlling highs, mostly inaudibly.

BassKit for lows, on master buss or even channels (earlier versions are more extreme and for instrument channel shaping).

Buttercomp2 is my go-to glue compressor, replacing "the glue," or any other glue comp, which I had stopped using in 2016.

Pro-Q 2 or 3 EQ match seems fairly "magic" but isn't really meeting my analog preferring snobby standards. DMG equilibrium is recommended by others, for good reason.

uLaw is, IMHO, the most "magic" plugin to ever exist... but not for reasons that most musicians would desire.

NotJustAnotherDither is the best dither, in most cases, for final renderings of 24 bit products (NJACD for 16 bit).
You are a great advocate for Airwindows--I learned about Airwindows' existence because of your posts, for example, and that might be true for a lot of people.
(I haven't installed any Airwindows' plugins yet, though, because I simply don't know where to start--even with all your help--and, also, because I think my brain--a brain that I'm not always enthralled with--needs the fancier shiny-object-rendered GUIs to make sense of how I'm tweaking parameters. (It's a personal failing, absolutely, I know.)
However, I wish you would do less talking about how all the plugins are free, mentioning only in passing--almost-- that Airwindows is funded by way of Patreon. From the Airwindows site: "People are used to it, perhaps even take it for granted. And I’m still struggling to live, kind of: I’m very limited by my economic position and could do more (and be healthier and less scared) with more stability."
Again, your very vocal enthusiasm is something that any artist would appreciate--and plugin developers are artists in the same sense that musicians are artists--but artists have increasingly become people who invest countless hours--their lives, actually--in the creation of things that no one else can create, things that often help elevate the lives of others--things that they are, then, expected to simply give away.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Guru
Please if you use Airwindows, pay..... It's not free and he deserves support.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Addict

AlexB ATE is on the mixbus. That plus Kazrog True Iron gives me some seriously big a punchy sounding mixes that also have controlled transients.
Old 12th April 2019
Lots of great plugins in this thread. Like everyone else. I use and like SoundToys.

To throw out a contrary opinion, I really like these two from Waves:

F6 - dynamic eq - stunning flexibility and sound with a clean, compact GUI. Perfect for me.

Meta Filter - Delay and Filter that can be modulated by envelope follower, LFO, and Step Sequencer all at once. Also, it weirdly contains a bit crusher too. Lots of wonderful strange sounds to be had in this one.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
AlexB ATE is on the mixbus. That plus Kazrog True Iron gives me some seriously big a punchy sounding mixes that also have controlled transients.
Yup, ATE is incredible. Makes me want the hardware.

Same with Vertigo VSC-3.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Daniel Rothmann AIR,

pull that dusty blanket that lives on your speakers OFF.
Works on Vocals, Bass, Samples, Mixbus.. your call (..cough... it's free..)

Spiff on delta mode.. re-inject some true signal.. does wonders even on the mixBus on electronic stuff..
Translation: Roth-AIR is a plugin billed as adding an "airy, crispy presence." This is achieved by a combination of multi-band compression and gentle saturation of the highs.
Rothmann – AI Engineer
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Addict

For my own music I'd rather have noise (or in the case of hum, manually notch out the individual harmonics) than use noise reduction, but when I'm doing work for other people I occasionally need it, and more often than not Klevgrand Brusfri has been working better even at its default settings than any other noise reduction I've had the opportunity to use over the years. There are things that a conventional noise reduction plugin works better on occasionally, but even then I can usually get better results by using brusfri and then following it up with a very conservative use of an FFT based noise reduction than I can withaFFT alone. I use it a lot for taking things like fan and AC noise out of voiceovers and lectures that were recorded in let's say less than optimal conditions and at worst I'll have a bit of gated noise at the beginning and end of sentences but in those cases the original noise floor is so high that getting comparable reduction with FFT based plugins leaves me with audio that sounds like it's been through 2 or 3 generations of mp3 encoding at 64kbps.

It's a really impressive plugin.
Old 13th April 2019
Shout out to Sknote, I was surprised at how much level Disto-S shaves off the peaks (more than any other vst comp I've used, which is a lot) while still sounding great.

Last edited by db9d9; 13th April 2019 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Funny no analogue or digital process will "improve" audio quality. Anything you do to sound degrades it. Cracks me up when people use that argument. It actually starts with the performance that you alter and degrade in the first place and goes downhill from there. The magic is actually turning that into a positive.
I'll print this somewhere and frame it as a pin up poster. Epic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9d9 View Post
Lindell TE-100
The Lindell Eqs are full of vintage color.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
+1 for "tape" - I've got all the UAD tape simulations but find myself using Softube Tape more than all of them put together these days - and it only cost about £40 in a sale!

Big fan of Soundtoys too - Echoboy is just the best delay, Decapitator is awesome, Little Radiator is great for adding dirt. Crystaliser is just mental.

A compressor I never hear anyone mention is NI's Supercharger GT, despite having lots of high end alternatives I find myself using Supercharger GT wherever I want fat and warm. (great on drums and bass) worth grabbing when NI have a big sale (note "GT" - not the standard supercharger.) for people who have Komplete - GT can be bought for £20 when there's a sale on. Just do it! You won't be disappointed.
I think Supercharger qualifies as magical. It wraps around audio like a warm blanket. Very enticing comp/saturator. I actually do not own the GT, but I'd bet it's way more flexible.

Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot about it.

UA Cooper Time Cube does the hass thing better than anything I know of, very mono compatible, no weird phase stuff, easy to use and sounds great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Good thread.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodebode View Post
I'll print this somewhere and frame it as a pin up poster. Epic.
Except it's nonsense, making good music often isn't about sound quality - it's about finding the space in the mix for the instruments - which often requires pretty drastic EQ moves or other processing to get the desired results. Example: applying saturation to bass is making the sound quality "worse" - it's literally distorting it - but the added harmonic frequencies allow it to cut through the mix and to be heard on small speakers. Unless you're mixing a little four piece where placing the instruments is relatively easy, there's far more to this game than "sound quality".

Last edited by Scragend; 2 weeks ago at 09:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gullfoss.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Except it's nonsense, making good music often isn't about sound quality - it's about finding the space in the mix for the instruments - which often requires pretty drastic EQ moves or other processing to get the desired results. Example: applying saturation to bass is making the sound quality "worse" - it's literally distorting it - but the added harmonic frequencies allow it to cut through the mix and to be heard on small speakers. Unless you're mixing a little four piece where placing the instruments is relatively easy, there's far more to this game than "sound quality".
Did you read the quote? If so, you missed the point about turning a negative into a positive......
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Did you read the quote? If so, you missed the point about turning a negative into a positive......
Fair point - not paying enough attention!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Fair point - not paying enough attention!
No worries! Actually I find distortion fascinating. How to make something clearer in a mix by actually making it less "clear", and adding perceived loudness without adding gain.....

Quite a trick!......

I've been really loving HG2 and VSM3 as tools for this.....Kush Omega 458a is another one.... sorta like flipping a switch....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
No worries! Actually I find distortion fascinating. How to make something clearer in a mix by actually making it less "clear", and adding perceived loudness without adding gain.....

Quite a trick!......

I've been really loving HG2 and VSM3 as tools for this.....Kush Omega 458a is another one.... sorta like flipping a switch....
You just missed out on the Nembrini Sansamp plug for 29 dollars....that thing is a TOOL for what you speak of.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I think Using the Waves RS56 in mid side mode is magical If you are sound designing pianos or trying to find a space for them. It will scoop out the low mids on the sides, and when you boost the mids, you get this certain character. Boost the high sides on the 5800 on high end is a sweet shelf.

Its hard to explain, but it is a trick, that has always worked for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search