The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Most Magic Plugins
Old 21st May 2018
  #31
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
When you say curate a set of plugins I think you meant to say create?

Allot of silly posts in this thread made by people who simply don't understand the differences between analog and digital. This is the problem when you have people with no experience using the actual hardware these plugins are attempting to duplicate combined with a shallow understand of what is being done to sound digitally.

Plugins are virtual audio algorithms. There is no actual "sound" involved. You just think there is. Its an illusion created by the GUI and the Algorithms simply manipulate the binary data it sees. Without a doubt most plugins out there use the exact same algorithms and simply change how they look by redoing the GUI. Maybe you're high end plugin companies will add a parameter or combine parameters of an older piece or code to a new code. They rarely risk stability and speed to write an entirely new code. It takes far too long and costs too much money to build a new plugin from scratch. What you think you're buying is bran new by the way it looks but the code itsels is nothing bt a code that's been recycled thousands of times.

I doubt there's a dimes difference between most plugins when adjusted to one extreme or the other. What makes one seem better is the number of steps between those two extremes. I remember many old plugins started off as having maybe 16 steps or levels. A few years later they increased it to something like 256 which made it seem so analog like in comparison. Then they'd jump to something like 1024 steps to where it faked you out to the point where the GUI had an analog fluidity by making those changes smaller and smaller. None of that changed what happened at either extreme however. If the two extremes are +10dB and -10dB thay simply added more steps between those two points and like a boob you were tricked into thinking they did something to improve the actual sound quality.

I suppose that kind of deception began with the first cartoon using a series of fixed pictures to made the brain think they were seeing something alive. Then you have Disney come along and quadruple the number of pictures to make it seem even more fluid like.

Granted a smooth GUI may make it seem more analog like and therefore improve the work simply by it being more comfortable to use or having more steps between the extremes, but does that equate to the plugin actually improving the audio quality? If it does it should be easy to prove using a Frequency analyzer. My testing proved to me the audio quality is only as good as the original tracks were and what your interface is capable of creating. Everything else is simply a pretty good illusion making a whole lot of money for the code writes who know how to pull chains.

I doubt the basic algorithms between one plugin and another are very different. They cant be. Its far too difficult and expensive to write long codes for scratch. What they do is simply use older codes and modify them. They don't reinvent the wheel every time they offer a new EQ. They simply take a parameter from one and add that math to another one a big blocks of data that are easy to test and troubleshoot then then give it a new GUI. Then they convince the buyer its some new plugin you just got to have.
Kind of an "Unconscious" post, which is never helpful.
Old 21st May 2018
  #32
Gear Guru
Look digital is essentially linear, so randomness needs to be programmed into it. Doesn't mean it can't be done but isn't what it does. I actually think some of the real magic plug ins are the smart ones that adapt to sound.
Old 21st May 2018
  #33
Lives for gear
 

On top of what’s been posted I’ll add Acustica Ruby, PA BB HG-2, and NFA Elevate.
Old 21st May 2018
  #34
Lives for gear
 
3rdpath's Avatar
Obviously very subjective but I'll throw a few out:

Audiothing Outerspace.
Izotope Vinyl
Audio Damage Adverb
All things Soundtoys
Old 22nd May 2018
  #35
Airwindows
 
chrisj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Airwindows Air
Thanks

Good point, though. He's picked out one of my 'treble boost' plugins that has a SEVERELY weird and unnatural algorithm. The reason people usually do DSP-cookbook stuff and then put GUI on it, is you're less likely to get disasters if the code is normal and familiar.

I can vouch that you can get magic new plugin tones with new algorithms. Sometimes, surprisingly simple ones (just did one that can be done in ONE line of code, nobody happened to think it important to do that line of code that way before).

But when you try it, quite often something goes wrong. Air makes extremely strong and narrow treble boosts (same with Energy, that works on the same principle) but it's tied to the sample rate and you can't broaden the bands at all. It has no pre-ring, but intense post-ring, and you also can't adjust the bands as they are mathematically related to the sample rate. In terms of flexibility, Air sucks! but it gets a sound you can't get with more flexible DSP algorithms out of the books.

It's like that. I released a new version of Console, only to learn that with really asymmetrical waveforms, it started putting out massive DC offsets. Textbook DSP doesn't do that, and less experimental devs would throw away the plugin as soon as it started acting 'broken'. But it gets a sound, if you can fix the problem.

Also, simplicity helps get 'magic' DSP sounds. I've seen a lot of 'magic' plugins that were old abandonware, but they just happened to do what they did super cleanly. More is often not better.

I've been using Eurorack hardware lately, myself
Old 29th May 2018
  #36
Here for the gear
 

Check out the Goodhertz plugins, I love the Vulf compressor
Old 29th May 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
Acustica Audio's Pink2 and Cream fo sho + Marconi1
Old 29th May 2018
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Acustica Pearl. Pre-amp and hi-shelf. Scientifically verified to be magic.
Old 29th May 2018
  #39
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
Acustica Pearl. Pre-amp and hi-shelf. Scientifically verified to be magic.
Pair Pearl and Lime Pre's for even more sonic joy
Old 30th May 2018
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
ilalin's Avatar
The op's question is not completely clear to me.
Are you thinking of having access to plugins that mimic analog sounding music processing devices relatively closely or very good digital plug-ins that do what they are supposed sound wise as expected.

If it is the latter, my recommendation would be:


All Tokyo Dawn Labs stuff including DeEdger, they are digitally impeccable

Empirical Labs Arousor, next generation compression with the user in mind and an awesome sound, also digitally impeccable

PSPAudioware PSP E27, people say it's very musical, one of the leaders in digital plugin production

Softube Tape (sounds really nice to my ears), Drawmer S73, people swear by Weiss plugins too, I'm not hot on it since the price is astronomical, also there is talk you need to run 96KHz system to benefit fully

SoundToys FilterFreak and EchoBoy

Lexicon PCM Reverb

Sonarworks Headphone Plugin 4 has to be coupled with GoodHeartz Can Opener v3.0 and set-up properly for your type of headphones. This is where I experienced magic myself since I work exclusively on headphones. Not only that you hear the bass and the sub (HD650's here) but hearing the nuances of compression and panorama is amazing. I feel like I am sitting in a mastering studio worth a million bucks.
Old 31st May 2018
  #41
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
Allot of silly posts in this thread made by people who simply don't understand the differences between analog and digital. This is the problem when you have people with no experience using the actual hardware these plugins are attempting to duplicate combined with a shallow understand of what is being done to sound digitally.
Yes--people like you.

Quote:
Plugins are virtual audio algorithms. There is no actual "sound" involved. You just think there is.
This is as true of analog gear as it is of digital gear--you're taking a signal and interpreting it as a representation of sound. Take the series of electrical impulses that go through a compressor box--there is no actual "sound" there.

Quote:
Without a doubt most plugins out there use the exact same algorithms and simply change how they look by redoing the GUI.
This is bull****. There are many ways to create the same effect digitally, each of which have tradeoffs. There's as much variety in digital algorithms as there is in analog schematics, if not more so.

Quote:
Maybe you're high end plugin companies will add a parameter or combine parameters of an older piece or code to a new code. They rarely risk stability and speed to write an entirely new code. It takes far too long and costs too much money to build a new plugin from scratch. What you think you're buying is bran new by the way it looks but the code itsels is nothing bt a code that's been recycled thousands of times.
Without evidence, this claim is simply nonsense.

Quote:
I doubt there's a dimes difference between most plugins when adjusted to one extreme or the other. What makes one seem better is the number of steps between those two extremes. I remember many old plugins started off as having maybe 16 steps or levels. A few years later they increased it to something like 256 which made it seem so analog like in comparison.
16 steps, sure man

Quote:
Granted a smooth GUI may make it seem more analog like and therefore improve the work simply by it being more comfortable to use or having more steps between the extremes, but does that equate to the plugin actually improving the audio quality? If it does it should be easy to prove using a Frequency analyzer. My testing proved to me the audio quality is only as good as the original tracks were and what your interface is capable of creating.
Again, this is nonsense, not far from outright word salad.
Old 31st May 2018
  #42
Gear Guru
Funny no analogue or digital process will "improve" audio quality. Anything you do to sound degrades it. Cracks me up when people use that argument. It actually starts with the performance that you alter and degrade in the first place and goes downhill from there. The magic is actually turning that into a positive.
Old 31st May 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 
galaydees's Avatar
 

If we're not improving the perceived quality of sound then why the heck are we doing this?
Old 31st May 2018
  #44
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
If we're not improving the perceived quality of sound then why the heck are we doing this?
The operative word is "perceived". Our job is to interpret the performance through the tools we have at hand, to make an alternate reality conform, to what our interpretation of that performance is. Perception literally is reality in sound.
Old 1st June 2018
  #45
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Don’t try it...BUY IT

That reddi is great on everything
Well I didn't buy the REDDI, I got a subscription! I'm digging every single one of these Kush plugins. They are all without exception in the "magic" category. The REDDI has a familiarity for me, having the real unit. It's totally slaying on this drums and bass mix I'm currently working on. Novatron is totally superb. Juicy saturation. Clariphonic is terrific on the 2-bus. I could go on all day
Old 1st June 2018
  #46
Lives for gear
 

+1 psp e27

I also think Diamond EQ does some magic
Old 1st June 2018
  #47
Gear Maniac
 

Satin.
Old 1st June 2018
  #48
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Well I didn't buy the REDDI, I got a subscription! I'm digging every single one of these Kush plugins. They are all without exception in the "magic" category. The REDDI has a familiarity for me, having the real unit. It's totally slaying on this drums and bass mix I'm currently working on. Novatron is totally superb. Juicy saturation. Clariphonic is terrific on the 2-bus. I could go on all day
Kush kills me! Everytime he offers something, I want it. Like Soundtoys. Honestly UBK-1 and Clari were my first plug ins, with Electra I could have stopped there. the Omega 456 is special also....Amazing developer......
Old 1st June 2018
  #49
Gear Addict
 

Hornet 31. Soooo affordable for something so classy
Old 1st June 2018
  #50
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_bond View Post
Hornet 31. Soooo affordable for something so classy
You mean the sw34eq? YES!
Old 1st June 2018
  #51
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
You mean the sw34eq? YES!
Lol now I must try it...
Old 2nd June 2018
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Airwindows Spiral. Add it to the list.
Old 3rd June 2018
  #53
Lives for gear
 
cprompt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
You mean the sw34eq? YES!
Well, that as well but I think he was referring to the new Hornet 31 auto eq plugin. SW34EQ is awesome too.
Old 6th June 2018
  #54
Gear Nut
 

I know late but Just discovered Luftikus EQ and love it. Very smooth. most of the time I prefer it to Maag. And it is free
Also Plugin Alliance Blackbox HG2 and Noveltech Character is very good..

Oz
Old 6th June 2018
  #55
Gear Nut
 
Rapollo's Avatar
Feels like I've tried almost every plugin out there (at least ones that have demos/subs or are fairly cheap) and I no longer believe in the plugin magic :( only plugins that make sound that I like ^_^ those typically being all Fabfilter and Soundtoys plugins... and some Eventide reverbs.
Old 6th June 2018
  #56
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Well I didn't buy the REDDI, I got a subscription! I'm digging every single one of these Kush plugins. They are all without exception in the "magic" category. The REDDI has a familiarity for me, having the real unit. It's totally slaying on this drums and bass mix I'm currently working on. Novatron is totally superb. Juicy saturation. Clariphonic is terrific on the 2-bus. I could go on all day
How about cpu performance - This SUBSCRIPTIONS plan from Kush is on my wishlist.
Are Kush plugins heavy on the CPU?
I really like blackroosteraudio and Waves plugin because of the low CPU use ... and sound :-)
Old 6th June 2018
  #57
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
How about cpu performance - This SUBSCRIPTIONS plan from Kush is on my wishlist.
Are Kush plugins heavy on the CPU?
I really like blackroosteraudio and Waves plugin because of the low CPU use ... and sound :-)
I honestly couldn’t tell you. I’m running a nMP with a 6-core 3.5gHz Xeon so I’m never having to monitor my CPU usage. On some of thei plugins you can turn off oversampling, which presumably would lower their CPU usage.
Old 7th June 2018
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Ain't Nobody's Avatar
 

Goodhertz Wul Compressor

It's been on every single track since I got it. It can get absolutely absurd, but I often use it with the compressor all the way down. Still lots of mojo to dial in even at that end of the scale. It's all over current project with various settings on each bus, but only doing any real compression on the MB instance (and even that is parallel at 50% mix)

I've been playing around with Goodhertz Wow Control as well putting it on different busses where each instance has different speed, so there's a constant and barely perceptible motion to everything.

Start with Wulf, though. It's less of a compressor, and more of an analog mojo machine.
Old 7th June 2018
  #59
Lives for gear
The SW34 is nice in all the right places, even if you overdo it.

Hornet Tape has some magic to it too. It really can sound nice on rhodes. It's almost a "how did you get that effect?" kinda thing. It's like a caricature of tape.
Old 13th June 2018
  #60
Here for the gear
 
UnbalancedBeats's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
You can find organic dopeness in Stillwell Audio plugs, particularly Bad Bus Mojo, Vibe EQ, all of his compressors - The Rocket, Major Tom and Event Horizon.

On the mix buss I find that The Bombardier or The Rocket are really nice. The Bombardier, for instance, has 2 presets I love called "2 inch in My Cupboard" and "Glue It Up". These are all great character plugs and you can demo them all. Don't let the price fool you.
Completely agree, Stillwell equals top-notch quality. Price is affordable because they do not invest neither in advertisements nor sponsorships or prescriptors.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump