The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cloud Storage that doesn't suck
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Cloud Storage that doesn't suck

I've gone from DropBox (too expensive), to Sync, to Box, to now pCloud, with the latter being the most economical.

However, the Windows client is terrible: I cannot coax this thing to actually download the entire file, it appears to only store a cache separately, and despite increasing this to more than the total stored amount (set it to 40GB, have about 28GB of audio files), the files are "corrupted" when you open them in Airplane Mode.

Any other ones? Don't need anything fancy but I'd like to:

1. share with others and not incur any storage penalties on their end.
2. Have a decent player/app for iOS; auto-download on a per folder basis would be great.
3. Download everything when I say download everything, every last byte.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Addict
If working professionally, $10/month or $99/year is a pretty good deal for Dropbox. I have 1tb of dropbox space and considered building my own FTP server, but the ROI time is fairly long.

I still may pull the trigger and build it so I can have my own off-site backup and transfer server, but it would be because I want it, not because it's a better deal than DB
Old 18th May 2018
Simple: OneDrive.

I have Office 365 for under $100/year. 1TB for every person in the family (plus all office stuff of course).

I just put everything (including DAW project files) in the OneDrive folder and forget about it. Leave it running while recording/mixing without any performance impact. Clients for all devices including iOS, controlled offline access.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Addict
I don't know how it ranks against the others but I signed up at zoolz & got a lifetime 1000GB package for about $150.00. I use it for basic files, no problems so far.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Google Drive. With Back Up and Sync you can choose folders in your computer to be automatically uploaded, it’s great.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

I get 12TB for €50.00 per year - backups, manual, automatic, Cloud multi-computer synchronization , iOS and Android apps - send/share folders and files of any size.
www.hubic.com
This is simply the best bang for your buck or Euro that is ...
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I get 12TB for €50.00 per year - backups, manual, automatic, Cloud multi-computer synchronization , iOS and Android apps - send/share folders and files of any size.
www.hubic.com
How are the download and upload speeds?
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear
STACK by transip is also an option.
It has a 1TB free (yes free) storage and clients for all platforms.

If you need more than the 1TB it gets expensive though.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Nut

Dropbox is your best option for collaboration or sending things to clients/coworkers, as it's the one everybody trusts.

For cloud backup, I've been pretty happy with Backblaze, and it's dirt cheap.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Google drive. Ez to use and I can play back from the app to check mixes. No complaints and SUPER CHEAP!
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
I don't know how it ranks against the others but I signed up at zoolz & got a lifetime 1000GB package for about $150.00. I use it for basic files, no problems so far.
Zoolz is getting good feedback but bear in mind that it will use cold storage for a chunk of your backup (Amazon Glacier to be accurate). This is very cheap but, like its name suggests, very slow when it comes to restoring files.

Also, I am dubious of anything that offers a lifetime subscription when there are on-going costs for the provider - Zoolz will have to pay for the Amazon storage, upload and download fees - how will they make money after they've spent your $150 on Amazon fees? But I have heard they are backed by a rich, capital investment company, so maybe they don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
www.hubic.com
Hmmm, I used Hubic for a few years. Yes, super cheap - 10TB for €5 a month is insane. But, I found that upload speeds were getting slower and slower and downloads were starting to become unreliable, with large files timing out and multiple files coming down as un-openable zips. Plus, the protocol they use means there are practically no clients for Hubic other than their own software which is flaky at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
Google drive. Ez to use and I can play back from the app to check mixes. No complaints and SUPER CHEAP!
Highly recommended - cheap and reliable with good third-party client support. As is...

Backblaze B2 - super, super cheap, fast, reliable and lots of good client software out there (Cyberduck in particular).

I also recommend GoodSync as an automated app to make your backups - it's cheap and supports Google Drive, Backblaze B2, Amazon and Box.
Old 23rd May 2018
I use MEGA for videos and files I tend to share a lot with my team (other business, not audio related).
All fine, except slow upload and I did have an issue once downloading everything after I made a sync mistake. Pilot error BUT Mega had the data in the trash can so after my head got blood again I could simply move the data back.
Since then all works fine. But the upload speeds would keep me from using it for professional audio work.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search