The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet 2 noise when running phantom power (audio clips included) Condenser Microphones
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

Apogee Duet 2 noise when running phantom power (audio clips included)

I bought a used Apogee Duet 2 from a pawn shop last week. I own two microphones: a Beyerdynamic M88 and a Norelco D119. The Duet sounds fine with these dynamics.

A guy from Craigslist came over today to sell me a Bluebird Large Diaphragm condenser. It sounded really noisy plugged into the Duet. I've attached a clip of him playing guitar through the Bluebird and the Norelco for comparison. I think I had the gain at 50ish db for the Bluebird.

At first we both thought it was something wrong with the Bluebird--he hadn't tested it in ages. But he just texted me saying it doesn't sound noisy on his setup.

I figured there's something wrong with the Duet when the phantom power is on. But then I tried testing M88 with phantom power on and it wasn't noisy at all! Then again, the M88 doesn't need phantom power.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is my Duet defective? Thankfully I've got a 30 day window to return to the pawnshop if that's the case. Any advice would be appreciated!
Attached Files

Bluebird mic (phantom on).mp3 (319.3 KB, 50 views)

Norelco mic (no phantom power).mp3 (319.3 KB, 42 views)

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search