The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favorite HP/ LP Equalizer Plugins
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Your favorite HP/ LP

What are you guys using for your hp/lp filtering plugin wise? I've been using sweet one for years but looking to move in to something better and a little more transparent.
Old 16th May 2018
TDR Nova
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Addict

Goodhertz Tiltshift
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Both great answers. I was going to say sweetone based on the thread title but then I read your post.

If you can afford it: the filter on Acustica Emerald is the absolute best I’ve heard, but that’s a lot of $ just for the filter. (Heck of an EQ in that package though...)
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Nut
Cytomic the Drop
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Guru

The free BX clean sweep works quite well.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Guru

Filterbank F2. A magic bullet, almost.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Maniac

The Brainworx bx_digital V3 12db/octave filters on the 2bus in M/S mode are fkn insane
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Yes it does. Excellent free option. Another with a similar price tag is ISOL8. Not as sweep able or intuitive, but excellent and clean.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Filterbank F2. A magic bullet, almost.
Another +1!

This specific plug is probably the best plug I demoed but didn’t buy... years later I think about how fast and flexible it is.

But it’s only available in a bundle too, correct?
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
Another +1!

But it’s only available in a bundle too, correct?
I guess. The whole filter bank package is good, though. The high shelves are pretty.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear
Sonoris Mastering Eq, Cambridge eq, Acustica Honey/Harrison, and Magenta/Massive Passive
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9d9 View Post
TDR Nova
Is this linear and minimum phase? I had a quick look on the plugin interface, but could not see an option.

I need new filters too, I prefer a one trick pony.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict
Brainworx (both of the mentioned) and Waves EMO F2
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Is this linear and minimum phase? I had a quick look on the plugin interface, but could not see an option.

I second that one trick point. Sweet one is great but I need something with more slopes. Mainly looking for filter only.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
You may not be aware of the other trick some of them incorporate-, which is a resonance control. When I say "some of them," the one I have is the McDSP but there must be others. I don't know enough about it to say what it does in technical terms, but used either straight across a signal or on a parallel channel it can be really transformative.
Old 17th May 2018
Quote:

I believe it uses internal linear phase resampling.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Any HP/LP with slope control.
Nova, Toneboosters EQ.
Special one is Toneboosters FLX, which has brickwall HP/LP for extreme reshaping.
For more creative stuff i use Zebrify which has synth filters with nice resonance and overdrive.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You may not be aware of the other trick some of them incorporate-, which is a resonance control. When I say "some of them," the one I have is the McDSP but there must be others. I don't know enough about it to say what it does in technical terms, but used either straight across a signal or on a parallel channel it can be really transformative.
What's the one by mcdsp called?

Last edited by trevon; 18th May 2018 at 02:01 PM..
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
What's the I've by mcdsp
Huh?
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
+1 on Clean Sweep
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

I’ve got 3 that I really like - Waves SSL E-Channel, VEQ3/4 and the UAD Pultec HLF-3.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Whatever's built-in to the DAW
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
Whatever's built-in to the DAW
I use the PT 1 band a lot.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
What's the one by mcdsp called?
Filterbank F2.
Old 1st July 2018
Lives for gear

RS-MET ToolChain (free) has the best filter set for my purposes: Engineer's Filters. RS-MET

It has Butterworth, Chebyshev types I and II, Elliptical, Bessel, and Papoulis filter curves from 1st order to 24 or so. HP, LP, pass, reject, peak, and notch programs. You can set the resonances, rejection ratio, and bandwidth where applicable. Crucially (for me), two opposing filters in parallel will null against the original source, down to the noise floor. That makes it perfect for lots of interesting pre-/ de- emphasis effects.

Very low CPU too
Old 1st July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I second that one trick point. Sweet one is great but I need something with more slopes. Mainly looking for filter only.
Tiltshift offers any kind of Slope (eg. 23 dB oct 13db oct) fully automatable up to 48 dB octand resonance control independent for the HPF and LPF.

LoHi also has resonance and the same control for the slope, also has built in Limiter. This filters go up to 96 dB oct.
Old 1st July 2018
Gear Addict

I just use whatever hp filter is in whatever EQ I happen to be using.

Because I had no idea that it actually mattered or even made the slightest lick of difference.
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Unit Sound View Post
I just use whatever hp filter is in whatever EQ I happen to be using.

Because I had no idea that it actually mattered or even made the slightest lick of difference.
It does. Try Gold by Acustica. Those filters are excellent.
Old 6th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
It does. Try Gold by Acustica. Those filters are excellent.

I have, and it's not my favorite of their offerings, but it's decent enough. I'm not going to slow my project down like that just for the high pass filter. I've already got a few instances of Azure going, and one more of Amber. Already pushing my luck.

Anyway, i'm obviously not a perfectionist when it comes to high-passing, and can't recall any real "ah-hah" moments where I discovered the beauty of a well-implemented high/low-pass filter.

But of all the ones I've worked with, this one just feels right, and is simple to dial in. Continuously variable slope even. Very flexible, totally transparent sounding. Minimal artifacts.

Acon Digital Equalize - Equalizer Plug-in with Unique Features
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search