The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape Deck Plugins- Want to Demo a decent one - No iLock tho Saturation Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Tape Deck Plugins- Want to Demo a decent one - No iLock tho

I'm interested in demoing a decent Tape Deck Plugin..I don't have iLok..Need it to be compatible with AU as well

Wondering if any of you have a suggestion as to something that is representative of the current tech-good and useful.. and one that doesn't require iLok..I'll do anything else except that..for now.

thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Tape deck plugins trying to be real hardware soooo bad
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

UAD
U-He Satin
Waves
Black Rooster Audio

Is this what you're looking for? I'm sure there's a whole bunch of non-iLok tape emulation plug-ins.

My preference is for U-He Satin and Softube (though that's iLok).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Tape deck plugins trying to be real hardware soooo bad
Excellent contribution to the conversation.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

UAD is cool stuff. ATR-102 is a lot to wrap your head around, but it's pretty neat.

Massey Tape Head is pretty great too. Especially the updated version.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot Brain View Post
UAD is cool stuff. ATR-102 is a lot to wrap your head around, but it's pretty neat.

Massey Tape Head is pretty great too. Especially the updated version.
If the OP is trying to avoid a dongle, recommending UAD might be off his list as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lownotes View Post
Excellent contribution to the conversation.
Slightly better than yours though. A joke about iLok, which I don't use because who needs to be in a position of being unable to work due to non-present hardware if they're not using hardware. I'll skip your product entirely, thanks, plenty of great options out there. ONE time of not being able to access your work due to this is one time too many.

My guess is that software companies are losing more business by requiring iLok than they would by the pirating that takes place without it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
If the OP is trying to avoid a dongle, recommending UAD might be off his list as well.

Oh, Decapitator too. Requires an iLok account, but you don't need to have a physical dongle (uhhh huh huh h huh hhh huhhh) plugged into your computer.

The "A" mode is a tape thang. It sounds rad. I use that plugin on basically everything now.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Hornet, SKNote and Reelbus. All good inexpensive and no dongle.......
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

thanks folks,

funny how it seems like whenever i want to demo something, it's accessible without iLok or somesuch, just a sign up, usually

..and now when i go to demo this type of plug im getting shut off eveywhere..i spose it's because the bigger name companies are making the ones worth checking out...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot Brain View Post
The "A" mode is a tape thang. It sounds rad. I use that plugin on basically everything now.
as far as I recall, Decap 'A' is trying to be an Ampex preamp.
Old 1 week ago
Reelbus here.
It's deep enough to tweak and yet simple enough for a fast preset just to get a vibe going.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Slightly better than yours though. A joke about iLok, which I don't use because who needs to be in a position of being unable to work due to non-present hardware if they're not using hardware. I'll skip your product entirely, thanks, plenty of great options out there. ONE time of not being able to access your work due to this is one time too many.

My guess is that software companies are losing more business by requiring iLok than they would by the pirating that takes place without it.
Let's not turn this into an iLok discussion. OP stated his preference, didn't ask for opinions on iLok.

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Roundtone is only $30 and is getting a major free update soon(ish).
Sure, major free update soon - like all of Quinto's products

SKnote is great, but only buy them if you're perfectly happy with the plugin in the state it is. Updates are far and few between and the developer is somewhat polarizing in his customer interaction... I will leave it at that

I really like BRA's Magnetite (mentioned it in another topic today even!) for ease of use - KClip's tape mode is also really nice on things like drums (albeit not a tape-centric plug)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One more for Reelbus. And the upcoming new version is just awesome with a lot of features!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm digging Black Rooster Magnetite a lot. It's been too long since I used analog tape to say whether it sounds like tape, but it sounds good to me in a way that reminds me of the way tape used to sound good to me, if that makes any sense. The interface is simple, usable, and fun. You can get quite a broad range of sounds by switching the tape formulations, bias and speed controls, and tweaking the relation between input and output gain. One "secret weapon" I've discovered is that you can add some life to a static track by turning the wow/flutter control up just a wee bit, to the first notch or even less. The effect is quite subtle, but the track just kind of wakes up a bit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Softube Tape is a good one, not a 'distortion box' like many others but with a more subtle sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Reelbus, Satin...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I'm digging Black Rooster Magnetite a lot. It's been too long since I used analog tape to say whether it sounds like tape, but it sounds good to me in a way that reminds me of the way tape used to sound good to me, if that makes any sense. The interface is simple, usable, and fun. You can get quite a broad range of sounds by switching the tape formulations, bias and speed controls, and tweaking the relation between input and output gain. One "secret weapon" I've discovered is that you can add some life to a static track by turning the wow/flutter control up just a wee bit, to the first notch or even less. The effect is quite subtle, but the track just kind of wakes up a bit.

This one did't require iLok so I downloaded it and temp licensed it..

Not bad, i could see using this effect. I put it on a vocal track in a thing I'm working on and it did some interesting things..definitely a decent way to dirty up a track a little bit when necessary..some nice stuff going on with a couple of guitar tracks as well..

thanks for that..

Last edited by Pchicago; 6 days ago at 01:25 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
One more for Reelbus. And the upcoming new version is just awesome with a lot of features!
And another. In fact, anyone on a budget who wants a bundle of excellent meat and potatoes plugins and no crazy worthless stuff just get a Toneboosters bundle.
Bus Tools and Track Essentials together are only about $80. You'll never hear the phrase "no brainer" used more than in a thread with toneboosters mentioned : )
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Or Hornet..... Great stuff and price has no bearing on how great his stuff is. The tape is great to my ears and I like as much as Reelbus. SDRR may give you a tape like flavor for very little money also.....
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Pray tell...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

U-he Satin. XLN RC20

Also check Fabfilter saturn, it has a tape mode as well as many other distortion modes.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Not sure if its free but Voxengo makes one called the CRTIV Tape Bus plug-in.
Its by far the best I've come across in how it actually mimics tape and that's coming from a guy who spend 30 years recording to tape.
Besides it being able to EQ properly for different tape speeds, the record gain and saturation are about as close to tape you're going to get. I often use this on guitar tracks and I'm able to emulate the way I used to saturate tape using hot recording levels. Used lightly it can be used to add air at the top end too.

If you're new to recording digital and unfamiliar with recording to tape, most tape saturation plugins are going to be one of the tougher tools to use properly. Not all tape sounded good and it was far easier to under or oversaturate a track then most people realize. It was a real art form getting that signal to simply grow hair but retain most of its sound. It was typically in the later stages mastering when you knew if you got it right.

Using a plugin isn't nearly as difficult as actually pushing tape to the edge, but knowing what that edge is would be very tough if you don't have that needed experience. I can see many people trying out these plugins and completely overlooking what they are designed for. Takes allot experimentation to get them to do the things you need them for. You'll discover most people who complain about sterile sounding recordings are the same people who don't know how to apply tape saturation.

If its your first trial, I'd start off using it on the main buss with recordings you thought were mastered as good as they can be, then check out all the possible settings. After that you can try it on separate tracks or on busses. Keep the setting mild for most situations. Tape saturation is something you have to concentrate on to hear. You should be able to completely ignore its use 99% of the time or only recognize it when doing and A/B comparison with it bypassed.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
Not sure if its free but Voxengo makes one called the CRTIV Tape Bus plug-in.
$34.95

That's not too bad.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
It’s not cheap, but there is Overloud Tapedeck to consider.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Goodhertz WowCTRL
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Apparently not a popular opinion, but I feel very strong in saying:

Realism: R2R by CDSM for Nebula

Noticeable creative effect: DAW Tape by Klevgrand

^^my opinion, but I will double down on these. The most impressive by a wide margin in their categories.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search