The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DPC latency better with AMD graphic cards (3 card comparison)
Old 7th August 2020
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Does DPC Latency Monitor give reliable results with W10....I thought it was only intended for use with up to Win 7 ?

https://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.pdf
You are correct, the DPC Latency Checker utility from Thesycon is limited to Win7 and its cousins, and their website says so.

The LatencyMon tool from Resplendence offers Win10 compatibility and that's the standard utility these days. Link is below.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

I wanted a card with 4GB of memory so I bought an RX580 from a friend. I know it's an overkill for DAW use, especially if you don't play games, but here are the results:

Old 7th August 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

I'll do mine properly tomorrow, I have both AMD and Nvidia in the same laptop so it should be a good comparison, freshly installed and all the ms crap etc, removed.

What I do have to report is the last time I cleaned it up, a few weeks back. It was then able to run at 96k 64 buffer, with quite a few decent plug ins. Before when it was a bit of a hodge podge it would just crackle with no plug ins at 64/96. It would run for hours at those settings too.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Maniac

With an nVidia GTX 1050 Ti, drivers 451.48 (on Win 10):
DPC latency better with AMD graphic cards (3 card comparison)-latencymon_nvidia_gtx_1050_ti_451.48.jpg
Stays stable over time
Attached Thumbnails
DPC latency better with AMD graphic cards (3 card comparison)-latencymon_nvidia_gtx_1050_ti_451.48.jpg  
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

I tested AMD 5600 XT and NVIDIA 1660 Super, they both are working with low latency.
The main advantage of the AMD is the less bloated driver and the possibility to easy only install the driver

For NVIDIA, use NVSlimmer (current version is 0.9)
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nv...tility.423072/

BTW, do not forget to set "Power management mode" from Adaptive to Maximum Performance.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Those of you showing 0 page faults....do you have the paging file disabled? Set to a manual size? Ive not done that in Windows in forever....it depends on whats running and how long i leave it going....Lesha’s looks like he has iTunes running—that app jusy sits there generating page faults....but, even with nothing at a user lvel running, I get some on some svchost process....
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Here the paging file settings makes no difference...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Those of you showing 0 page faults....do you have the paging file disabled? Set to a manual size? Ive not done that in Windows in forever....it depends on whats running and how long i leave it going....Lesha’s looks like he has iTunes running—that app jusy sits there generating page faults....but, even with nothing at a user lvel running, I get some on some svchost process....
I have set a fixed paging file. I don't use iTunes, but I left Kaspersky AV running.
📝 Reply