The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Distorted Guitar Amp Sim Software That Doesn't Sound Thin, Boxy, and Fizzy? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Any Distorted Guitar Amp Sim Software That Doesn't Sound Thin, Boxy, and Fizzy?

Am I asking for the impossible?

Is there any distorted guitar amp simulation software that doesn't produce recorded sounds that sound thin, boxy, and fizzy in a mix?

Also, one that takes EQ well would be nice.

I have Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitude 2. They both simulate clean amps well, but I can't get either of them to simulate a distorted guitar amp all that well.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear
good preamp/overdrive/distortion pedal = your interface = mic/cab impulses.

I like Two Notes Wall of Sound for hosting impulses.

I get much better results this way. I dont like Amplitube or Guitar rig either. I dont really like any of the ITB Amp sims.
Too fizzy.
Old 13th April 2018
I like the Waves CLA Guitars plug. More versatile as expected, the preamp emulation in it is actually really good and usable.
Perfect for recording ideas, instant gratification.

However, now I have a Two Notes Torpedo loadbox (the small Captor), it comes with the WoS plugin for cab emulation. Combined with my Laney valve amp, it is a winner combo. Such joy to record, something which has been a struggle ITB forever despite decent plugs from Brainworx and Softube, which were my favorites until then.
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Head

It depends on which audio interface and monitors you are testing those sims.
The amp simulators are not made for reproducing the live effect of a real amp, they are made for reproducing the sound of amps recorded with mics and placed on a song

Andrea
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Might be worth it to check out BIAS by positive grid. I'm kinda of on a similar hunt I use S-gear most of the time. I think S-Gear is good for cleans but not my favorite for distortion. Here's a vid I just watched on the positive grid BIAS amp Real Vs Software Tone Matching
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

No problem here getting the same good results on s-gear as with real amp+cab. Spent some time ABXing with guitarists and sold the amps. But i'm not recording really heavy stuff here, just pop/rock, AC/DC and all that '70s music.
Old 13th April 2018
Here for the gear

Don’t know exactly what tone you are after, but Kuassa Creme is my go to plug-in for instant nice heavy distortion, the defaults are singing with harmonics already if you throw in a TSE 808 (free) before in the chain.

The TSE X50 suite is excellent as well, but more modern, less harmonics-rich to my ear. I usually pop in an 808 inside the suite and have to pick nicer IRs (included) before I get a tone I like, so more tweaking compared to Kuassa Creme.

Both are $40-$50, but try the demos first.
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Don’t use Guitar Rig. Amplitube 2 is old also. Try getting some of the newer amp sims to demo. Do some natural double tracking and then some eq. There are plenty of folks getting some great sounds but you will have to get familiar with the tools to get the sounds you are looking for.
Old 13th April 2018
Word on the Street, says the Positive Grid software is killer.

https://www.positivegrid.com/

Going to try it out myself shortly.

They even have a hardware unit that can run the DSP as standalone.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear
Run less gain on the amps

Guitar Rig has some great sims

Try the Hot Solo+, based on a Soldano Hot Rod 50 Plus
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear
Double post
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I haven't used Guitar Rig 5, Amplitube 4, or even S-Gear 2 since I got TH3 and Helix. Every generation seems to raise the bar
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

sansamp.

ej
Old 16th April 2018
I don't understand what exactly you mean:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettinhouse.com View Post
The amp simulators are not made for reproducing the live effect of a real amp, they are made for reproducing the sound of amps recorded with mics and placed on a song
I agree, it will be a very rare situation to use a software amp preamp with disabled cabinet section but with a hardware power amp + cabinet, which would be a live situation rather than a studio environment. Reamping is such a scenario but rather with the preamp as the changing parameter. Which brings me to my confusion regarding your post:

Quote:
It depends on which audio interface and monitors you are testing those sims.
This is what I don't understand. Aside from different monitoring having different quality aspects, and headphones offering a different sound experience, why would this affect the choice of software amp simulation plugins? Within a DAW they all typically meme preamp + power amp + cabinet + mic.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

The latest Amplitube stuff sounds great to me. Seems to have a "real" quality to it that I don't get as easily with some other sims. Most of the amps seem to come out with too much low end, but they are all easily tweakable.

Mercuriall and Joey Sturgis/Toneforge stuff sounds really good to me as well.

A well captured guitar DI makes everything easier.
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
Am I asking for the impossible?

Is there any distorted guitar amp simulation software that doesn't produce recorded sounds that sound thin, boxy, and fizzy in a mix?

Also, one that takes EQ well would be nice.

I have Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitude 2. They both simulate clean amps well, but I can't get either of them to simulate a distorted guitar amp all that well.
For me and lots of others ............. we cant go wrong with Overloud TH3
30 day trial as well.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Head

I think one's interface preamps and power supply can be a big influence on how fat a guitar sim sounds. I switched from a bus-powered interface (Roland Tri-Capture) to a kind-of-pro, mains-powered one (Tascam UH-7000) and all I can say is "problem solved." The Tascam has no Hi Z input and requires a DI box, which is probably also a sonic upgrade. For DI I use an old BSS AR-133, simple and phantom powered, and I can recommend it.

Another thing that can help reduce the blatty-ness of sims is running your stomp compressor pedal into the interface. I mostly use Bias FX as a sim and haven't felt a need to look elsewhere. It's a CPU sucker, however. Good luck.
Old 17th April 2018
no.

just kidding.
Am I?

Some Kemper stuff ok. That torpedo thing.
Went there.
Went back.

Get a little tube amp if volume is issue.

So many now. Down to a half a watt.
Move air.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfwafl View Post
I think one's interface preamps and power supply can be a big influence on how fat a guitar sim sounds.
My input chain is A-Designs Pacificia > LA2A > A-Designs Hammer > RME 802, which is not a terrible chain, and I'm playing through a Les Paul, and all the sims I've tried sound mediocre.

I appreciate all the comments, though.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

UAD Friedman for example can sound pretty convincing. Brainworx Rockrack. Sometimes Kemper, but it can miss that certain weight on root notes that real amps do better. Most ampsims i have heard have the spitty, fake-treble static overtones that sound plastic.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

The input chain, pre AD conversion is really important.
Most people hear the difference when using good DI versus built-in in interfaces.

RME DI input, for example, is clean, good, but at +30...80dB of gain in ampsim or amp at high gains you definitely hearing a lot more timbre colours... ofcourse you can hear a change in tone/feel, when pluggin guitar with a different DI, you can hear bad cable effects, stompboxes not so good sounding...

I prefer to use special guitar DIs or clean preamps, as they just "couples" a guitar and audio interface better, especially at high gain sounds. Clean JFET or tube preamp or DI-box is just very good.

One more thing i always mention is that you cannot compare a feeling of playing guitar standing near Plexi at full hard rock gains with an emulated recording chain. You should compare full chain, then you can see there're not so much differencies in sound. Good test is to plug an ampsim to a clean 500-watt D-class amp, like Orange Terror, and then to 4x12 cab. With a good ampsims you will not feel a difference with an actual amp. At least that's what i got from my tests with really experienced and good tone hungry guitarists at studios.
Old 17th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfwafl View Post
I think one's interface preamps and power supply can be a big influence on how fat a guitar sim sounds. I switched from a bus-powered interface (Roland Tri-Capture) to a kind-of-pro, mains-powered one (Tascam UH-7000) and all I can say is "problem solved." The Tascam has no Hi Z input and requires a DI box, which is probably also a sonic upgrade. For DI I use an old BSS AR-133, simple and phantom powered, and I can recommend it.

Another thing that can help reduce the blatty-ness of sims is running your stomp compressor pedal into the interface. I mostly use Bias FX as a sim and haven't felt a need to look elsewhere. It's a CPU sucker, however. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
The input chain, pre AD conversion is really important.
Most people hear the difference when using good DI versus built-in in interfaces.

RME DI input, for example, is clean, good, but at +30...80dB of gain in ampsim or amp at high gains you definitely hearing a lot more timbre colours... ofcourse you can hear a change in tone/feel, when pluggin guitar with a different DI, you can hear bad cable effects, stompboxes not so good sounding...

I prefer to use special guitar DIs or clean preamps, as they just "couples" a guitar and audio interface better, especially at high gain sounds. Clean JFET or tube preamp or DI-box is just very good.

One more thing i always mention is that you cannot compare a feeling of playing guitar standing near Plexi at full hard rock gains with an emulated recording chain. You should compare full chain, then you can see there're not so much differencies in sound. Good test is to plug an ampsim to a clean 500-watt D-class amp, like Orange Terror, and then to 4x12 cab. With a good ampsims you will not feel a difference with an actual amp. At least that's what i got from my tests with really experienced and good tone hungry guitarists at studios.
Thanks for the input guys, now I understand that Pettinhouse probably referred to the DI section in the interface, which makes sense.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

The cabs aren't the best in the older software sims. Better results to be had bypassing the stock cabs and using a convolution plugin to run better IRs.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
I like the Waves CLA Guitars plug. More versatile as expected, the preamp emulation in it is actually really good and usable.
Perfect for recording ideas, instant gratification.
Hey thanks for the CLA guitars plugin tip!

Never thought of using it as an ampsim, really surprised by the instant creamy heavy rock tone. I couldn't really get that with other amp sims, which sounded either lofi, fizzy or like doom metal on higher gain. And I tried Amplitube, S-Gear, Kuassa and the plugin alliance stuff, also with external cab IRs.

For quick convincing demos this is actually awesome.

On the clean side with slight breakup I really like the kuassa amp vsts though. Especially running with different amps in parallel. Surprisingly close to recording a tube amp unless you start playing powerchords and turn up the gain.

I still use the sims for demos only and record actual tube amps for my stuff, but it's getting closer...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There’s one important thing that AFAIK no amp/cab model has yet: the massive nonlinearity of a speaker.
A lot of high gain sounds really depends on it, how speaker goes in to breakup mode, how it compresses the signal... you can “emulate” this with some compressors at strange/ugly settings plus maybe some overdrive, but it is not so easy and the real behavior is more complicated. Clean/slightly overdiven tones is really much easier to model.
Old 1 week ago
Nembrini Soldano slo100:
New one that I picked up a week ago. Very nice model of the Soldano. Manage crunch, dist and clean sounds.
Also emulates cabs and a fantastic IR loader with its own browser where you see the frequenzy of the chosen IR.
There is some cool IRs that come with the Plugin. If you moe your own IRs to the same folder they all show up in the plugin

STL Howard Benson:
Demo it right now and it also has alot of great sounds. Also has a IR loader.
The emulated cabs are set you cant choose or move microphones. But ther is 5 speakers to choose from plus your own IR.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I really like what Brainworx has done for UA, especially those Shure amp emulations sound amazing, pretty much my go-to setup. Maybe you should try it out, but you would need a UA interface.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmstudios View Post
I really like what Brainworx has done for UA, especially those Shure amp emulations sound amazing, pretty much my go-to setup. Maybe you should try it out, but you would need a UA interface.
The guy who do Nembrini did work on those brainworx amps.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
a crappy little amp with a 57 on it will sound better than any of the ITB sims in my opinion.

The sims just dont sound real. Yet..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
a crappy little amp with a 57 on it will sound better than any of the ITB sims in my opinion.

The sims just dont sound real. Yet..
But a crappy amp is still a crappy amp.
And crappy room is a crappy room.

I find it really hard to compare. Its two different thing.

Here is a recording with a Les Paul and really real crappy amp and some hardware eq way over the top recorded with sm7.
The other is the nemrini Slo100 with own hammer IRs.

Both are lousy recordings where you can hear the awful room and amp in the real one and the little bit sterile sound of the digital emulation.

2 takes hard panned and logic drummer
Attached Files

Gt amp.mp3 (694.8 KB, 338 views)

Gt sim.mp3 (692.8 KB, 334 views)

Last edited by mattias78; 1 week ago at 06:52 PM.. Reason: spelling
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search