The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good Free plugins and DAWs for Linux?
Old 13th April 2018
Good Free plugins and DAWs for Linux?

Does anyone have any recommendations for free/open source DAWs and plugins that work on Linux? I'm using Ubuntu because it's plug and play with a lot of hardware. If you have suggestions for Windows I may also consider them, but I'd rather use something that works on Ubuntu.

I already have Audacity installed and it already has free built in plugins, but I'm wondering if there's stuff that performs better than built in stuff in Audacity, or free plugins that perform better ir are just compatible with another open source of free DAW.

Software should be able to record and edit like Audacity, something that allows for digital creation of music with samples is a plus but really not what I'm after. By no means do I think Audacity is bad either and it actually works really well for me on Linux (on Windows it hated my interface).

Stuff doesn't have to open source necessarily, but I want something that is free and isn't just a trial or severely stripped down version of paid software and allows commercial use. If Audacity is the best option I'll stick to it. Something non destructive might be better though so I can toggle effects instead of having edit audio in one track and raw in other to compare.

Eventually I will buy paid DAWs and plugins if I need them, but until I make money recording I'd rather use free options.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear
I heard that there is an unofficial pre-beta of Cockos Reaper that runs on Linux but that's about all I know. Go here........

REAPER for Linux - CockosWiki
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Nut

You can find lots of information on the linux version and the current developement in the REAPER Pre-Release forum.

Then there's Ardour which is probably THE most popular Linux DAW. The Source Code is open and pre built packages can be obtained for a donation of any amount.

Harrison Mixbus is a commercial fork of Ardour with an analog console style mixer. Make sure to subscribe to their newsletter, they've been giving away their EQ and Expander/Gate for free several times over the past weeks.

Tracktion Waveform is also available on linux, as well as their plugins.

Regarding commercial plugins there's overtonedsp. Two of their EQs are available with ComputerMusic Magazine, however I don't know if the linux versions are included. Maybe drop him a line.

Last but not least all the u-he synths are available on linux, including the free Tyrell and the ComputerMusic version of Bazille.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Head

Bitwig!

Also this list http://linux-sound.org/plugins.html and I second the u-he stuff
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear
Bitwig is not free.

Haven't used but I would definitely check Ardour. In fact I will check it myself.

UPDATE: the "free" (demo) version of Ardour has some annoying BS where it goes silent off and on. Lame. Pass.

I like Audacity and it's fine for very simple stuff, but it isn't what I'd call a "serious" DAW.

Check Reaper and (my fav) Mixcraft. No, they aren't totally free, but have trial versions you can use and are cheap so when you're ready you can buy and meanwhile for short term at least have a "free" DAW for awhile. And Mixcraft actually you can still keep using but every so often it pops up some stupid "annoyware" thing that goes away after about 10 secs. FWIW
Old 14th April 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for free/open source DAWs and plugins that work on Linux?
Workstation:
Reaper for Linux

Plugins:
Airwindows | handsewn bespoke digital audio
Calf Studio Gear - GNU/Linux Audio Plug-Ins
LV2 plugins

Last edited by reynaud; 14th April 2018 at 07:07 PM..
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Bitwig is not free.

Haven't used but I would definitely check Ardour. In fact I will check it myself.

UPDATE: the "free" (demo) version of Ardour has some annoying BS where it goes silent off and on. Lame. Pass.[...]
Open Source doesn't automatically mean 'free of charge' or 'unlimited'. Still, the source code is free to download, if you want to compile it yourself. Additionally pre-compiled packages can be downloaded for a donation of any amount! Even a one time donation of only 1$ will give you full access to the current build and all future builds until the next major release.

I can only encourage anyone to decide how much giving it a try is worth to you and get the pre-built version right away, instead of the demo. If you like it, great! And noone's stopping you from making additional donations in the future, if you want to support the project.
And if you find, that Ardour is not your cup of tea, you haven't lost much and still gave some bucks to an important project.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Workstation:
Reaper for Linux
Not free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
Open Source doesn't automatically mean 'free of charge' or 'unlimited'.
Yeah, it does. If anyone tries to charge you for open source software, you're being had.
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

Reaper runs just fine via WINE on Mint Linux.
📝 Reply