The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Problem connecting two audiofire echo 12s DAW Software
Old 6th April 2018
Here for the gear

Problem connecting two audiofire echo 12s

I've been running one audiofire echo 12 for some time no problems. I just got a second one to expand i/o. I can't get my daw to recognize that I have 24 ins and outs, it just shows 12 like it always had. I have both units connected with a FireWire cable and a bnc cable from the clock out of the one connected to my computer, to the clock in of the second one. The front display of the first one is normal showing clock as internal, the 1394 light is on, and the sample rate changes when I change it in my daw. The second one only has the 44k and int lights on. If I plug the new one straight to the computer by itself it works like it should. I made sure I had the latest drivers from the echo website which is version 5.8, tried looking at the digital console software but didn't see any options. I'm running Windows 10 and ableton live 8. Also I noticed the FireWire ports on the new audiofire are upside down compared to my old one, maybe just a design change they made. I bought them both used so I'm not sure version either one is. I read something about the asio drivers need to be bundled but don't know how you would do that. Any advice would really be appreciated.
Old 6th April 2018
Here for the gear

So I just tested the new FireWire cable I got to link the two units together by using it to connect the first unit to my computer and then the second unit to the computer, neither of them recognized the cable so I think maybe it's no good. Are there different types of FireWire 6 pin cables or did I get a bad one? I got it from monoprice
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgarber View Post
So I just tested the new FireWire cable ... neither of them recognized the cable so I think maybe it's no good.
Definitely a bad cable if the port is 'known good'. Quality might be declining in the available pool of FireWire cables, so keep trying until you get good ones.

I've had three AF12's in my past, and for a while ran two as 24-I/O. The first daisy-chains via FireWire to the second, and it didn't seem to matter which one was 'internal' clocked, as long as the other was 'external' clocked and the BNC cable connected properly to match the settings.

Various corporate machinations have kept FireWire from reaching its full potential, but as you can see it offers great value for the 'trailing edge' user ... and with your AF12's there's no moaning about whether you can "bypass the preamps".

Cheers.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search