The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good gate plugin for drums Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Addict

Good gate plugin for drums

Right now I'm using abletons stock gate and find it to be a bit sloppy, and "dumb".

Any good gates out there? Free wouldn't hurt either. Thanks!
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

If you were on Windows you can download Reaper's plugin pack for free. REAPER | ReaPlugs
Not the best looking plugins, but they're powerful.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

The Waves SSL E-Channel has a fantastic gate. Better yet, skip the gate and use the expander! Plus you get a punchy VCA compressor and one if the best EQ’s for drums as well.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotchicken View Post
Right now I'm using abletons stock gate and find it to be a bit sloppy, and "dumb".

Any good gates out there? wouldn't hurt either. Thanks!

Did you try to unfold the Sidechain Toggle and use the EQ there?

It works for the main input too, if Sidechain is disabled.

You can also use a Rack with 2 parallel chains, one chain with the Gate, a 2nd chain with the Chain Volume set to zero. Then select in the Gate's Sidechain Audio From menu that 2nd chain "Post FX" (post FX but before the slider set to zero).

Then you can drop any FX in the 2nd chain to adjust the sidechained audio that will trigger the Gate, like an EQ Eight or Auto Filter. Or even a reverb or delay at 100% wet, etc.

I attached an example Rack (it is Live 10 though, won't open in 9).

Also Multiband Dynamics (which is a multiband downward and upward expander, beyond being a downward and upward compressor/limiter too) and Drum Buss help a lot with drums. Live's Compressor can act as an expander when set to Expand mode.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gate Sidechain Example.zip (5.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 5th April 2018
Native Instruments Solid Dynamics. Based on the SSL E channel comp mentioned above. Fantastic plugin. Comp/Gate/Expander. It will do the trick.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I really like the gates on the PA console E and G - unfiltered audio make a super flexible one (G8) which isn't too pricey.

I think PSP are having a sale on mixpack2 which also includes a gate, but it may have ended already - tried doing a search (it was on one of the plug reseller sites) but I couldn't find anything.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Have you considered editing? that's what many people do these days
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Nut

Seconding ReaGate. Perfect for drums because you can set an internal sidechain with filters, as well as pre-opening. Best gate plugin in my opinion, and it's free.
Old 5th April 2018
Here for the gear
It's not a traditional gate, but you might look into the Wilkinson Audio DeBleeder. It has changed my life.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Head

I still like the gate on the metric halo channelstrip as its easy to dial in and sounds great. On the other end of the spectrum with a lot of options is unfiltered audio's g8, can really fine tune which frequency range to target in expert mode.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

haven't been using any gates in 25 years - but expanders every day! expanders are so much smoother (and you can make them behave as gates), check them out!
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

It depends on what job you want your gate to do. Most people don't know, use or understand this one:
Drum Leveler - For the Perfect Hit Every Time | Sound Radix
and it can do things like shortening hits consistently (to the extreme point of being a transient tool), level out hits within a dynamic bracket without side effects, etc.etc. but you have to watch a demo vid to understand how to use it. The kind of tool that's only possible in digital and doesn't emulate anything analog, in a very good way. Team it up with, say a phase tool and Drumatom and you look like a genius.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Addict

thanks for all the replies y'all. definitely going to look into some of these
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Addict

Slate Trigger.
Old 5th April 2018
Another vote for the Metric Halo Channel Strip gate, works great most of the time.
The Fab Filter gate is great for difficult tracks.
The ToneBoosters gate is also very good.
Old 5th April 2018
Heb
Gear Maniac
Boz digital labs Gatey Watey or Big Beautiful Door
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Addict

DMG Expurgate. You can set the GUI as you like and you can do almost everything with it. Includes analog models and it’s almost entirely customizable.
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

The gate on Waves’ renvox is great...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search