The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are Many Plug Ins Overpriced? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
Certain ones are for sure, esp the ones that they can bang out 5 versions of, and 10-20 different ones a year, with a ton of bugs and audio gotchas, by simply 'sampling' the hardware that they had no hand in building in the first place, nor in hard coding work done (inc tweaks by ear) to get an algorithm right. Stick in yer probes, sample away, package it up in a rendered GUI (a slow acting rendered gui) and charge ridiculous prices by essentially 'stealing' other's work, then yes they are over-priced.

You all know which company I'm talking about, and partially why I'm so against them and their 'new versions' (more like new betas) every few months now being the 'best ever' while still full of things like echo bugs, screech bugs, bad saturation handling, poor compression action...

Other expensive algo plugs (for example Arouser) are imo not over-priced, because they have your back at all times, hard work from the ground up and sound and work great with zero workflow issues.
The company you speak of, Acustica Audio, simply built a better mouse trap. Their sampling technology (which didn't just appear out of thin air, lots of time/hard work from the ground up was spent coding the whole system) simply sounds better than circuit modeling algorithms.

They can release multiple plugins per month because the technology is more efficient than programming/tweaking DSP over and over.

I've been a fan of sampling tech since Waves IR-1 was released. Boy, did it bring Pentium 4 processors to a crawl back in the day!

VerbSuite Classics from Slate Digital is also among my favorite reverbs. So while program dependent convolution compression (LA-2A/3A, 1176 and any hardware with auto release) isn't "there" yet equalizers, delays and reverb certainly are.

Pink2, Ruby and Azure's quality is undeniable. No longer do rich audio engineers have exclusive access to the pinnacle of sonic quality outboard gear. The echo bug, high end transient smearing and screeching is a thing of the past. All that's left is using a DAW that isn't junk and a computer capable of handling them (Intel i7 third generation processors or newer with at least 16 GB of RAM) are recommended.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Pink2, Ruby and Azure's quality is undeniable. No longer do rich audio engineers have exclusive access to the pinnacle of sonic quality outboard gear. The echo bug, high end transient smearing and screeching is a thing of the past. All that's left is using a DAW that isn't junk and a computer capable of handling them (Intel i7 third generation processors or newer with at least 16 GB of RAM) are recommended.
Are there junk DAW's? Explain, please.
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Never buy a plugin brand new. I rarely even buy it on sale. I buy used plugins on KVR for massively discounted prices. It's amazing how quickly new releases show up there and it's not like a digital product suffers from wear and tear.

A few vendors don't allow resale of licenses but the vast majority do.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post
Never buy a plugin brand new. I rarely even buy it on sale. I buy used plugins on KVR for massively discounted prices. It's amazing how quickly new releases show up there and it's not like a digital product suffers from wear and tear.

A few vendors don't allow resale of licenses but the vast majority do.
Sales are often just as good, if not better than KVR re-sales.

Example: PSP Mastercomp was recently 29$ (regular price 249$), which can't be beaten in the sales section of KVR

I also often prefer to have an invoice as well.

Several companies also make plugins NFR after they are bought 'second hand'.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post

Example: PSP Mastercomp was recently 29$ (regular price 249$), which can't be beaten in the sales section of KVR

I think a lot of this conversation really has to take into account if we're talking about people doing this for fun or for money.

I regularly work in other people's studios where they've paid for everything from rent and build-out to plugins. But I also do work at home in Nuendo. To me any investment in my system comes down to that either-or question: Do I want this 'for fun' or is this for work?

A while back I got Native Instruments Komplete but while I used it for some actual commercial projects in the beginning it ended up being mostly for fun and not frequently used at all. So to me the question of upgrading it came down to if it's worth it just to have fun. I can compare that to any leisure activity I do for fun. I'll wager $1-200 on poker every now and then. That's a legit comparison in my case. Or going out drinking in New York. How much does that cost? So, if I'm looking at buying a plugin that's for leisure and fun then I can simply sacrifice something else if I think it's worth it.

But on the other hand for all the work I do I think the truth is that for a lot of it built-in effects these days sound really good. They're clean and functional. In Nuendo I regularly use the EQ, compressor, limiter for example when I do post production work (that goes to broadcast). What does it take for me to buy a plugin then, if it's for work? Well, it has to do something that Nuendo doesn't or it has to do it better. So I bought Izotope RX for the former and Phoenixverb Surround for the latter. I'm sure a lot of people would argue that they're too expensive, but the reality for me is that they paid themselves back already.

So, for those of us who buy plugins for work this whole "overpriced" discussion is a bit.... "silly" at times. It's a simple matter of whether or not we need a tool and can afford it, and if it pays itself back. And plugins in general are so cheap relatively speaking that they're certainly not overpriced and well worth the investment.

So again, I find that a lot of the time this "overpriced" argument really comes from those who just want to get stuff and have fun with it, not actually create things for a living (i.e. you not only get paid for it, but you use that income to pay for your own rent, utilities, clothes, health care, food.....etc)
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Occasionally you do get a decent sale price but you never know when that might come up. Even then the sale price is often higher than the used price, which is negotiable between buyer and seller. Best time for sales is Black Friday.

A few manufacturers have the NFR policy after it is sold once by the original purchaser. I got Serum like this. I'm stuck with it, but for the price I paid I'm happy.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are there junk DAW's? Explain, please.
Pro Tools on a Mac. That DAW and operating system are not optimized like REAPER and Windows 7 are. They don't take full advantage of hyperthreading and other modern processor technologies.

REAPER, upon initial start up uses about 35 MB of RAM. Pro Tools uses about 800-900 MB. That's just the start...
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

I almost thought this thread title was satirical at first. There may be a few plugins that you could at least make a plausible argument for being overpriced (Altiverb comes to mind, though I love it and think it's worth the price), but they are far outnumbered by plugins whose prices are astonishingly low. Klanghelm, Valhalla, Stillwell, PSP, Soundtoys, Tokyo Dawn, Black Rooster, Klevgrand, Acon...all these guys and more are creating rich, usable tools for head-scratchingly reasonable prices.
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I almost thought this thread title was satirical at first.
Not just at Gearslutz. We have reached that point where the very concept of satire is in jeopardy. I understand that satirical websites like The Onion are having a hard time of it these days.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Just to comment the actual eastern sale. I bought Audified EQ 062 for 111USD, which is a bargain, compared to the normal prize of 199 USD, and finally compared to the hardware ( couple of thousands of dollars) , which is almost not available on the markets. So if the service with updates is maintained for years and decades, I am for sure willing to pay around 100USD for a really good plugin which fits perfect in my digital mastering chain.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
Why having this tone? Ok I might be wrong or you might be ripped off and happy either way it's not necessary to be sarcastic and with this way.
It is for joe

As for plugins being overpriced, yeah I think some are for sure, but as others have said, it's a simple supply and demand thing and all subjective. They are priced at about as much as they think they can get. If you think they're too expensive, try the cheaper or free ones (there are many good ones out there) or ones that come with a DAW. Most have some very good stuff that comes with...but so many people are software gear slutz They feel they "have" to get the trendy/cool/expensive whatever cuz it's way better than the cheap/free stuff. And that may be in some cases, but again, like anything with gear, subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
Not being able to afford a product doesn't make it too expensive, it simply means one cannot afford what they want to have.

This whole thing about people thinking products (especially in the arts) are overpriced is no different to the reasons as to why the music business is in the ****-house in the first place.
Pardon the side track but what? How is the business "in the ***-house?" If you mean music itself is, I get that. But seems to me business is still doing fine, there are just more smaller companies ("indie") vs just a few huge ones.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
Lot of finger pointing and assumptions here. Well I can assure you that 20000 in plugins is not as much as you might think for a professional studio,
I can assure you 20,000 (unless maybe we're talking Lira, which I kinda doubt) is far more money than even a professional studio needs to spend on plugins. By a WIDE margin. In fact I would laugh at any studio who spent that much on plugins, in dollars or pounds or euros at least.

Quote:
Music is something to share and to appreciate, not to capitalise from.
It can be either or both. There's nothing wrong with making money off of music. If you'd rather not, good for you. That doesn't make you right or wrong, or anyone who makes money off of it right or wrong.

Quote:
Anyway I believe I prefer to have hardware whereas possible. Not because of sound but because of authenticity.
I have no idea what that means. What is more "authentic" about hardware? It's just 2 diff ways to make/produce music, i.e. software vs hardware. Both have their pros and cons.
Old 5th April 2018
I find this discussion amusing. As a consumer, you define the pricing. The only 3 questions to ask before buying - they count for every shopping decision - are: Do you need it, does it fit your budget and do you think it is worth it?
If any of these questions is "no", case closed.
There are some good >$300 plugins on the market, yet for these my answer to these questions always are 3x "no".
If I was a professional producer/engineer, obviously my answer might shift accordingly.
Old 5th April 2018
I agree with some of the last few posts.
Firstly, there are so many great free plug-ins, whether included in your DAW, or a free download from a big developer, or shareware from a bedroom plug-in maker, it's hard to get upset about the expensive plug-ins that are in the market.
I come from a time (70's and 80's) when everything to do with music was expensive. From buying a guitar, to a synth, even an effect pedal. Pretty much everyone young, starting out, had to save for weeks or months to buy something.
There has never been a more affordable/cheap time to acquire music tools than now.
To chime in with the recent posters and answer the thread question....
Yes, there are many plug-ins that are too expensive for me. 'Overpriced' is not a word i would use. You don't know how much time and money the product maker has invested in the plug-in.
But I have to budget my spend on music equipment.
There are a few plug-ins on my wishlist, but I can't justify the cost at tis moment in time.
I really want Keyscape. I'd like to buy a few of the Spitfire esoteric libraries like Tundra and London Contemporary Orchestra. I don't see them as overpriced, just out of my studio budget at the minute.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I bought for example Waves Abbey Road Plates for around 20€, and perhaps it is already underpriced ;-) Seriously, I hope that Waves will exist also in the future, but with these prices, I am not really sure. The Reverb Plugin is awesome, and really unique. As already mentioned, there are tons of freeware plugins, also in the DAWs.
Old 8th April 2018
HSi
Lives for gear

Try and make it yourself and see how you get on. Not being snarky, but surely that explains when you think about it clearly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search