The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Liquid Mix: is it worth it?
Old 22nd April 2007
Gear nut

Liquid Mix: is it worth it?

Hello Gang,

I need some advice in two parts. I bought three Firepods and have hooked them up to my PC to run in tandem, giving me 24 tracks simultaneously. I generally use Nuendo 3 but for some reason everytime the software would begin its start up the program would crash upon trying to engage the Firepods/ASIO drivers. I used to have only one Firepod and Nuendo 3 worked with it just fine. Now that I am running three it just wasn't have any of it. Fortunately, I switched to Nuendo 2 and it worked with the Firepods so at very least I can record with it. Nuendo 3 doesn't really offer any extra features that I use so Nuendo 2 should work fine. The only things that suck are: I don't get to use Nuendo 3's extensive monitoring options and I am not sure if Nuendo 2 is able to take advantage of dual-core processors to the same extent that Nuendo 3 can. Has anyone else had problems using Nuendo 3 with 3 Firepods? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Second, now that I am going to be tracking a whole band and running 24 tracks at the same time I am getting a bit aprehensive over whether or not my computer will handle it. I have a Pendtium D 820 processor with 3 gigs of memory. I also have a lot of outboard channel strips and compressors to take some of the work off of my computer, but I would like to run some plug-ins during tracking like channel strips and compressors. Does anyone out there with experience in this kind of thing think that I will have enough CPU power?

I was thinking about getting a Liquid mix. It sounds and looks radical. I am recording at 48kHz so I could 32 channels out of the liquid mix . But is that good? Are the plug-ins any good? How do they sound? Are they comparable to Waves? Sonalksis? URS? Nomad? Will it pick up the slack I am hoping it will?

Again, any responses help advice greatly appreciated.

Prone Cobra
Old 23rd April 2007
Gear Maniac

Ok Dudeballs...

... here's on jerk's take on the situation. I haven't had the fortune to spend as much time with super-lovely gear like a lot of the people here, but I've had a little quality time with <i>some</i> high-end gear. I don't know exactly what a 60's Pultec sounds like in person, just the software emulations of it. Same with some of the API/Neve/Focusrite/whatever that the LM is supposed to emulate.

That being said, for $700 bucks it's got some pretty cool EQs and comps in it. They might not be exactly perfect, but a lot of us chumps that don't have a $30,000 budget for gear like it quite a lot. It's an interesting bunch of flavors, and I'm guessing that since you can mix-n-match EQs and comps to make some weird & delicious & usable tasties.

Like they always say around here, YMMV.

Good luck.
Old 24th April 2007
Lives for gear

The first thing to think about is that since you already have firewire audio interfaces you'll need a seperate firewire card for the Liquid Mix, it needs the full bandwith from the firewire bus.

The second thing is that the latency that Liquid Mix produces is probably too much for using it while tracking (this is true of most DSP based effects), but I'm not sure if that was your plan.

As far as the quality of LM's effects, I don't have one yet, but am planning on picking one up. At that price its definitely worth trying..
Old 24th April 2007
Lives for gear

Smile

Hiya

The main advantage with the LM is that is does not use any native cpu.

When pushing the input, you can hear the differences between the preset.
I wouldn't say that the coloring is that prominent.

It do however produces a nice clear & clean output.

And you need a separate firewire card (check what is recommended).

Best wishes
Old 28th April 2007
Gear nut

Liquid

Thanks for the responses guys. I do want to use the Liquid Mix while tracking so its latency is definitely an issue. In fact, I had not even thought of it. Nor did I think about having to have another Firewire bus. My Firepods are using one port on the back of my computer. The firewire port is internal and stock, as are the remaining Firewire inputs on my computer. Do you guys think that any other Firewire port I use will be unable to handle more input? Do all of the stock Firewire ports on a computer typically share the same resources/bandwidth? I understand that some after market Firewire PCIs sometimes have problems working with some peripheral hardware - I guess it would be prudent to make sure whatever PCI card I got worked with the Liquid Mix.
Old 28th April 2007
Gear Maniac

all of the firewire ports on your computer will probably be using the same bus, you'll almost definitely need another card, liquid mix is a resource hog, preferably texas instruments chipset but i've had success with via.
liquid mix is pretty much useless for tracking, hence the name, i think the new version 2 drivers will address some of the latency issues but it's never going to be particularly usuable for most tracking applications.
as a mix tool though i personally think it's great for the price. regardless of how close to the originals it sounds, you're still getting 32 good sounding plugin compressors + eqs. I'll tend to use it as my main compression and sonalksis, psp as the backups.

forget trying to track with it,

ta,

bulley
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search