The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Waves plugins worth buying? Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Any Waves plugins worth buying?

Hi,

There seems to be masses of Waves plugins for sale all the time and I'm curious to know if any of them are particularly worthwhile purchasing?

In addition to the stock plugins in Cubase 9, main bulk of my VST fx plugins are :-

EQ's

Acon - Equalize
NI - Enhanced, Passive & Solid EQ's
Overloud - EQ 550
TDR - Slick EQ-GE, Slick EQ-ME and Nova-GE
Voxengo - Curve & Gliss EQ

Compressor's

Klanghelm - MJUC, DC8C
NI - VC-2A, VC-76, VC-160, Solid Bus Comp, Solid Dynamics, Supercharger GT Vari Comp
TDR - Kotelnikov-GE
Voxengo - Marquis, Soniformer, Transgainer

Reverbs

Acon - Verberate
Liquidsonics - Reverberate 2
NI - RC24, RC48

Limiters

PSP - Xenon
Stillwell - Bombardier
TDR - Limiter 6-GE
Voxengo - Elephant

Channel Strips

Izotope - Alloy 2, Izotope Nectar 2, Ozone 8 Advanced
Voxengo - Voxformer

Are there any Wave's plugins you would recommend as worth demoing/buying based on what I already have?

Last edited by dickiefunk; 13th April 2018 at 09:27 AM..
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi,

There seems to be masses of Waves plugins for sale all the time and I'm curious to know if any of them are particularly worthwhile purchasing?

In addition to the stock plugins in Cubase 9, main bulk of my VST fx plugins are :-

EQ's

Acon - Equalize
Overloud - EQ 550

Compressor's

NI - VC-2A, VC-76, VC-160, Solid Bus Comp, Solid Dynamics, Supercharger GT Vari Comp
TDR - Kotelnikov-GE

Reverbs

Acon - Verberate
NI - RC24, RC48

Limiters

PSP - Xenon
Stillwell - Bombardier
TDR - Limiter 6-GE
Voxengo - Elephant

Channel Strips

Izotope - Alloy 2, Izotope Nectar 2, Ozone 5 (going to upgrade to 8)
Voxengo - Voxformer

Are there any Wave's plugins you would recommend as worth demoing/buying based on what I already have?
I quite like the tape emulations - Kramer and the J37

I use the helios eq on kick and bass a lot and the dbx is used a lot on drums. I've not used the NI stuff to compare them to 2A etc so can't comment on the comparison.

Of the signature series I think the Manny stuff is the best regarding the reverb.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

None.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

RVOX is one of the best pieces of code written.

I know it’s cool to dis Waves these days... but that’s an excellent compressor that is predictable and dead easy to use.

It’s rarely the only thing on a vocal chain when I use it, but it’s finely tuned and doesn’t mind getting you 80-90% there within seconds so you can use a second comp to give you a nice finish with out it needing to do ANY heavy lifting.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Abbey Road Plates is really good if you want a mechanical plate sound (not a digital plate style verb). It's certainly not for everything, and is a CPU hog, but when it works it shines.

H Delay is a nice, simple to get a good sound, tape style delay. J37 tape emulator is nice and also good for tape delays.

I like the Rhodes and Wurlitzer instruments.

I have been auditioning the Scheps 73 against the UAD 1073 EQ/Pre, and on the relatively limited number of sources I have tried recently I can make the Scheps sound essentially identical to the UAD. Admittedly I have not pushed it too hard yet, going mainly for warmth, body, and EQ flavor as opposed to heavy saturation.

Many of the utility plugs such as C6 are quite useful.

I find the Waves Central app really annoying, as it is quite slow and constantly has to be updated.

I use a lot of Waves plugs, and am generally satisfied with them. There are a lot of other great things out there as well, so demo everything you can and see what works best for you.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, many.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear
No.

Their eqs suck (every last one) vs the best modern competition. Everytime you think you've got a good result you A/B against something else (PSP E27, SlyFi Axis etc) and the waves show once again they make pretty terrible analog 'emulations'. Harsher, thinner, narrower, smaller than the rest. Great branding though. ;0

Their compressors suck. Some just about do the job but they are as generic as they come. Possible exceptions being the PIE and maybe the DBX, but I don't trust waves quality any more. The softube/N.I vintage comps are much better than the CLA pack, and there are others (slate but in a stupid rack; sometimes IK etc)

Their verbs are overblown.

Their tapes are trash (ok as delays but not as 'tape' - go magnetite, VTM etc)

The only stuff I can think of of any use is their utility/generic stuff (meters - VU meters, Dorough, H-Delay's not bad).

Some noob is gonna jump in and mentiond the scheps omni channel, I like scheps (the guy) but this plug-in is stupid. Far too black box and a step away, again, towards all eggs in one basket mixing (like Slates STUPID Virtual Mix Rack).

Their SSL and API stuff are the biggest scam in the plug-in world (after Nebula).

tl;dr> no!

Bonus points to them for coding their plugs to work properly with AVID ICON systems though (dedicated EQ/Comp sections) not everyone does.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post

I know it’s cool to dis Waves these days...
It's not about being 'cool', it's about honest findings after years of experience with plug-ins from all makers, not just waves, and how waves got left behind sonically years ago.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Check out the Greg Wells series: VoiceCentric, ToneCentric, PianoCentric, MixCentric.

Really helpful and great sounding.
Old 18th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdmcc View Post
I quite like the tape emulations - Kramer and the J37

I use the helios eq on kick and bass a lot and the dbx is used a lot on drums. I've not used the NI stuff to compare them to 2A etc so can't comment on the comparison.

Of the signature series I think the Manny stuff is the best regarding the reverb.

Indeed, the two tape machines are really good. Also the Abbey Road Plates are insanely good. I bought it for 29 USD. I asked myself also many times how do they earn money, if they do every week flash sales for 29 USD....
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

I like this EMO F2 Filter It's cool
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear
I thought they did a pretty good job on the API and SSL-G stuff when I tried it. But I already have that stuff on UAD. I also liked the impulse library for IR-1. I haven't kept up with all their stuff though and I can't compare it to the plugs the OP has since I never tried any of those but compared to UAD they fared well.
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear
Still no full support for Ableton Live. Very disappointed. Some of the Audio Unit versions of plugins like SSL bus Comp,R-Compressor, V-Comp still don’t work in Ableton. If you prefer using AU in Ableton, I recommend another plugin company. I know that all the other major third party plugin developers offer full support for virtually all major DAWs (at least the top ten most popular which would definitely include Ableton) so why doesn’t Waves? Is it because their code is so ancient, it predates Ableton?
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

The Renaissance series is a modern classic. The Rcomp is still one of the best compressors out there. I also really like the SSL E-channel, and the API 2500.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by planck View Post
None.
One brief experience with the Waves Central installation process (for a very inexpensive on-sale eq) was all it took for me to agree with this.

I can't even speak to the quality of the plugin because the the software didn't stay on my computer long enough for an assessment.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Get their multiband compressor and limiter. They are by far the best and most important tool you'd own for mastering your own recordings.

The thing that sets it above all others is the multiband it can automatically sense the peaks. You simply play the song through once, then key the numbers in and the leaks for each band are set. Then you can use the global setting to set the attack release, and all of that. It senses the level which can be set with a single click too. The results you can get mastering when properly used will give your recordings that professional edge. If you get that and the L3 limiter its all you'll ever need to get highly professional masters. (if you learn how to use them properly)
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear
The Aphex Aural Exciter and the Vocal Rider (that one to a lesser degree, sometimes its not the right choice). Forget about all the other stuff. IMHO.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear
They have a few plugins that are admittedly really really good and useful.

I don't touch any of the emulation stuff anymore, packs, etc. However, the plugin that comes to mind as worth it for me is Soundshifter. It does a great job changing the pitch. I've used it to turn a regular voice into that of a king/queen.

I do still have a handful of other Waves stuff. I have Kramer Tape b/c I used it on acoustic snare for someone's album I produced and I really liked the results, so I got it for myself on sale for like $49.

Honestly, literally every plugin I've ever used from Waves has a superior alternative w/ another company IMO. I thought about buying the Noise Suppression bundle, but found an alternative for that (WaveArts). Have alternatives for their DeEsser (UAD and now ToneBoosters), modeled compressors (lots of others), GTR3 (amplitube, kuassa), like... everything man. Sorry.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
It's not about being 'cool', it's about honest findings after years of experience with plug-ins from all makers, not just waves, and how waves got left behind sonically years ago.
You understand both can be true, right?

For some people... it’s about having a loud opinion.

Do not confuse my respect for the company for praise. But there are brands that have gone through a period of bashing that seems to escalate to a ridiculous point. IK, Izotope are now well-respected but have had periods that they suffered disproportionate criticism.

Slate was once lauded and has become a target of ridicule. Boz was laughed at when he released his delay.. and has become a pillar of innovation and fair pricing.

^^all of these are just my opinion, but I think it’s pretty well agreed upon for any of us that have been around for a bit. (I’m including you.)

Even PSP has seen its fair share of bashing for the success of VW...

We agree that Waves isn’t the pinnacle of the tech.

But I *do* think they’ve been targeted a bit by folks here, and I do *not* think they’ll be down forever.

I’m also not complaining about the criticism, since it has forced them to strongly readjust pricing!

They have a lineage, they are used countless times DAILY in top studios, and a LOT of what they made still works very well.

Let’s balance it out a bit for the sake of sounding credible....

Maybe not call something “trash” when you know very well that there are records you enjoy that have Waves plugs on the mix.

And I’ll double down: RVox is an all-time great plug.

And the thread is a good reminder that we all value different aspects... so a tools worth is pretty subjective.
Old 11th April 2018
+1 for J37
+1 for Aphex Aurel Exciter
+1 for Renaissance Vox
+1 for WNS Noise Suppressor
+1 for WLM Plus Loudness Meter

All pretty awesome and used LOTS. I do post, btw.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

L3 is a great must have plugin. Their SSL comp is good
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I like the brauer motion a lot. Maybe PS22 depending on the stock spreader you have. I do use RBass still here and there.
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
No.

Their SSL and API stuff are the biggest scam in the plug-in world (after Nebula).

tl;dr> no!

Nebula? I thought was good. A lot of people talking about Nebula.

Can you tell me more?
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

- SSL stuff
- API 2500 + EQ
- Scheps stuff (Omni Channel)
- R collection
- Many of the abbey Road stuff
- Torque

Those are just great. I own preatty much all serious plugins available at this moment!

and so on
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

They have a lot of plugs that are good. I like the cla76 I use them for tracking from time to time I later replace with the Uad ones no longer have an Apollo lol. But the j37 it’s good when it works it works and like he said Rvox is fast and reliable
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
+1 for J37
+1 for Aphex Aurel Exciter
+1 for Renaissance Vox
+ ADT
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Guru

I have a few Waves things. I use the API250 on drum parallel most of the time. The API EQs are pretty cool as well. The Kramer HLS is a really unique sounding EQ and when its right for the production, its really wonderful.
Old 13th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi,

EQ's

Acon - Equalize
Overloud - EQ 550

Compressor's

TDR - Kotelnikov-GE

Reverbs

Acon - Verberate
NI - RC24, RC48

Limiters

PSP - Xenon
Stillwell - Bombardier
TDR - Limiter 6-GE
Voxengo - Elephant

Channel Strips

Izotope - Alloy 2, Izotope Nectar 2, Ozone 5 (going to upgrade to 8)
Voxengo - Voxformer

The question is: what do you need? What is missing from your current set of tools that would improve your workflow and/or mixing? Maybe that money is invested better elsewhere, like acoustics, a mic pre, cabling, MIDI controller or a mic.
Or a guitar. You never can have too many guitars.
Old 13th April 2018
Really like the Scheps 73 eq, H eq, H delay, Renaissance series, Abbey Plates, SSL channel an buss comp.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Head

Hello,
You already have Neutron 2 and Ozone! Very powerful tools indeed. Once you devote the time to really learn these....you will be hard pressed to "need" more.
The question however always persists with all of us.....is there something I am "missing"?
Since the focus is on waves, I agree with most others. Waves are great marketers. They do however have a few plugins that shine. In my case, I bought the scheps 73 and the amazing TG12345. Can't say enough good of the TG. It is a different flavour and certainly worth the under $50 or better still $29 price when available.

On a side note, I find that soundtoys plugins are immensely satisfying. They all make me smile when I patch them in. Without exception, they make me smile. Qualitatively as well, they are a great company and often contribute to worthy causes. Great company, great people and world class plugins. The echoboy and décapitator in particular are uniquely gratifying.

There are also a number of FREE plugins that Can outshine most commercial ones. One that comes to mind for me is the wavearts tube saturation plugin....outstanding plugin...it's a real CPU hog but.....sounds incredibly good!

If any of you have secret free plugins that really shine i.e. Really standout and compete among paid ones, please post them!
Cheers!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search