The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Waves plugins worth buying?
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Maniac

My sense is that Waves is, for now (these things evolve), the BOSS or DOD (for examples) pedals version of plugins. A lot of people will dismiss Waves out of hand in favor of the more boutique-y plugin. And though sometimes that choice is the correct one, BOSS has made and continues to make great pedals, in the same way that Waves has made and continues to make great plugins.
Old 29th May 2019
Here for the gear

I think the plugins work pretty well, I use the compressors, Aural Exciter, Sound Shifter, the problem I have is with the Company. I have an awful time getting my programs (Sonar, Sound Forge) to recognize the plugins, Waves has a difficult system for installing them and for making sure they get paid. My opinion only, YMMV.
Wade
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

I simply cannot get over their WUP thing
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPXRH View Post
My sense is that Waves is, for now (these things evolve), the BOSS or DOD (for examples) pedals version of plugins. A lot of people will dismiss Waves out of hand in favor of the more boutique-y plugin. And though sometimes that choice is the correct one, BOSS has made and continues to make great pedals, in the same way that Waves has made and continues to make great plugins.
Good analogy
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Nut
Yeah, în time I got to the conclusion that whoever can't make excellent mix/master with waves plug-ins has a problem between chair and computer.

Some might prefer other GUI, but as far as sound quality, it is right there. My 0.02.

I made a review of my usage in recent times and I think I use arround 20 plugs usually, maybe 30 if I get creative, but essentially I use same sh*t almost everytime
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by misuspita View Post
Yeah, în time I got to the conclusion that whoever can't make excellent mix/master with waves plug-ins has a problem between chair and computer.

Some might prefer other GUI, but as far as sound quality, it is right there. My 0.02.

I made a review of my usage in recent times and I think I use arround 20 plugs usually, maybe 30 if I get creative, but essentially I use same sh*t almost everytime
Is this because every major post studio like Warner Bros, Sony, NBC, 20th Century Fox, Paramount, etc have all of waved in their dub stages, mix stages, Editing rooms and some okay films have come out of them? Like Avatar, the MCU, Star Wars, etc , etc?
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Head
For my major production and post production clients (TV-Film) we have been using Renaissance among other and all for many many years. As another slut had mentioned. But for my personal studio I've stripped it down to a few and like others, some are just fun. Some of Eddie Kramers, and for newbies I would even suggest CLA's plugins as he has done the work for them. If you are new or don't have the time to futz with it, they will help you out quickly. But, I love to see/hear what great engineers do with well placed/nuanced plugins.
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Guru
Waves is the Auratones of plug ins....
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Some might prefer other GUI, but as far as sound quality, it is right there.
Often, yes. But not all the time. Also, just because Waves can be said to have some kind of norm, doesn't mean other makers can't make even better products.
Old 31st May 2019
Gear Nut
I never said that other products can't be better. Just that if one had to, with daw plugins and waves only, one could make a top-notch product, competing with the "masters".
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
with daw plugins and waves only, one could make a top-notch product, competing with the "masters".
You certainly can, in many cases. I myself own licenses for more than 100 Waves products for a reason.
Old 1st June 2019
Gear Addict

I don’t get the problem people have with WUP. I have had waves plugins for over 6 years now and never had to upgrade. Used them for longer, but at that time I was working out of another producers studio and both of us used tascam dm24 mixers for most of duties in our mixes.

When I will have to upgrade I think it will be a fair deal since waves plugin prices are so good to begin with, it seems fair to sometimes pay to keep the plugins running on new OS or CPU types. Waves plugins can be bought for cheaper than most other companies to begin with. And if you don’t want to upgrade you can just freeze your computer in time. Fine Records were made with pro tools 7 rigs as well.

Maybe I got lucky I don’t know, if your experiences differ please share.
Old 2nd June 2019
Deleted 5edf3fa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Hills View Post
for newbies I would even suggest CLA's plugins as he has done the work for them. If you are new or don't have the time to futz with it, they will help you out quickly. But, I love to see/hear what great engineers do with well placed/nuanced plugins.
As a (quickly learning/improving) newbie I find CLA combo plugins to be at their best when simply inserted into the strip and left in their default setting.

They fix a lot of the problems just by being there (but not all of coarse). Further fiddling with controls rarely gives me a desired result. For example I really like the guitar plugin but the nature of electric guitars for example is very forgiving, hard to mess them up. But in his vocal plugin, I don't like any of the sliders. Any time I move anything things get worse (for me). But when simply inserted and left alone it does add a bit of sheen and removes some boom. Must be some saturation and EQ curve programmed into the default setting. I like it.
Old 3rd June 2019
Here for the gear
Does anyone have experience with X-noise and Z-noise? I have WNS, which is great for speech, but I'm wondering if Z-noise or X-noise offer anything else that I might want. Or even W43 or NS1.

WNS is great, just curious if any of the other solutions offer anything unique.

Last edited by MattTheFurniture; 4th June 2019 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: rule compliance
Old 3rd June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheFurniture View Post
Does anyone have experience with X-noise and Z-noise? I have WNS, which is great for speech, but I'm wondering if Z-noise or X-noise offer anything else that I might want. Or even W43 or NS1.
I have NS1 and Z-Noise. I would prefer Z-Noise over X-Noise -- it has a few more options. NS1 is really cool, you simple use low settings for legato sounds and higher settings for percussive sounds. Both work great.
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheFurniture View Post
Half off everything sale is on, some nice discounts.

WNS is great, just curious if any of the other solutions offer anything unique.
I used them a LOT when they came out in early 2000, They were worthy contenders Avid DINR Plug-in. But when iZotope came out with RX, it changed EVERTHING. z-noise is a GIGANTIC CPU hog

I have mercury and rarely every use any of Waves noise. It's either RX 7 Adv noise or another AMAZING plug called Audionamix IDC Instant Dialogue Cleaner Plug-in. Once you use those two, you will NEVER use anything else.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I used them a LOT when they came out in early 2000, They were worthy contenders Avid DINR Plug-in. But when iZotope came out with RX, it changed EVERTHING. z-noise is a GIGANTIC CPU hog

I have mercury and rarely every use any of Waves noise. It's either RX 7 Adv noise or another AMAZING plug called Audionamix IDC Instant Dialogue Cleaner Plug-in. Once you use those two, you will NEVER use anything else.
Admittedly, RX is more on the cutting edge in terms of development, but the Advanced version will set you back well over $1000. It's not cheap at all.

The Waves tools might not be as good when used in extreme circumstances, but it will still hold its own under most run of the mill requirements. Meaning you'll end up getting very good value for performance. Especially when Waves puts it up for sale.
Old 31st July 2019
Deleted f944e7a
Quote:
For the love of Rcomp...
Attached Thumbnails
Any Waves plugins worth buying?-rcomp.jpg  
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

In addition to the ones I mentioned on the first page of this thread, I have come to really like the H-Verb. People sleep on it, but I think it’s very good. It has become my go-to for vocals.
Old 2nd August 2019
Here for the gear
So, some of them are really good:
CLA MixHub - not for the workflow but for the sound. Now I have it as an alternative to my SSL UAD.
RVox - it just works. Simple like that.
H series - EQ is REALLY good, also the reverb, delay and comp.
J37 - best Slap delay for vocals.
Saphira - Excelent Saturator and "movement" if you know hot to use it.
NLS - Very usable for a "desk hug" feeling
Old 2nd August 2019
Gear Maniac

This is going to sound sarcastic, because it doesn't emit sound. But I like the Dorrough meter plugin a lot. I like how it tells the story of the dynamics, and I trust it.
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Abbey Roads Studio 3 is a new one. It’s less sterile than regular NX, but that has its advantages too.
Old 2nd August 2019
Gear Nut
I never worked on hardware, so I kind of dislike the console designed plugins. I am very much liking paragrafic eq, where I can see what I do. Personal preference. At this time, I use RVox on all my vocal tracks, combined with a LA-2A plug. The combined "digital and analog"flavor that I get from those 2 are satisfying.

I did a thorough plugin usage, and found I could get by absolutely fine with about 20-25 plugins.
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

In general I'm not much of a fan, but the Schepps Omni is fantastic. NLS also has its place, and V-Comp isn't bad, although it's one of those that sounds better with the input down and the output turned up. There are a few other miscellaneous tools like the S1 Shuffler and ZNoise worth having around.
Old 5th August 2019
Here for the gear

I too used them back in the early 2000s... I liked what some did, and not so much with others. Compressors, verbs, and bass management stuff were alright. Nomenclatures not worth remembering, appearently.
Currently have the Abbey Road Plates, and Rooms. I've also been giving the Butch Vig channel strip a run around the block lately... Now that's a wierd-looking but fun bit of kit! Liking it, so far... just looks so steampunk'ish. Sounds veddy nice on vocals, though.

Edit: And yeah, they're all CPU hogs. Takes a while to load, but after that they're pretty slick.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSicks View Post
I too used them back in the early 2000s... I liked what some did, and not so much with others. Compressors, verbs, and bass management stuff were alright. Nomenclatures not worth remembering, appearently.
Currently have the Abbey Road Plates, and Rooms. I've also been giving the Butch Vig channel strip a run around the block lately... Now that's a wierd-looking but fun bit of kit! Liking it, so far... just looks so steampunk'ish. Sounds veddy nice on vocals, though.

Edit: And yeah, they're all CPU hogs. Takes a while to load, but after that they're pretty slick.
Odd how it just turned out to be one plugin. I was eagerly awaiting the next Vig plugin for year ow two. It never came. I like the UI too. Makes for a refreshing change.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Odd how it just turned out to be one plugin. I was eagerly awaiting the next Vig plugin for year ow two. It never came. I like the UI too. Makes for a refreshing change.
+1
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Addict

IMO

Bauer Motion
Waves Auto Tune
F6
J37
Abby Road Mastering

Are all pretty useful plugs and a steal at 29 when they are on sale.
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear
I just missed a great deal on Sub Align. I'm not doing live for some time, just some broadcasts and studio work, so couldn't defend getting it despite a great price.

Anyone uses this?
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Head

Bumping this because of the $29 with second plugin for $1 sale. I picked up the Abbey Road J37 and REDD console for $27 and change over on Audio Deluxe. Anything else worth getting? Looks like the sale has been held over for another couple of days.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search