The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Waves plugins worth buying?
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Nut

I guess I'm late to the party, but I wanted to chime in in defense of Waves. I use the Chris Lord Alge vocal compression suite on almost everything, and my secret weapon is Waves TrueVerb "Estate Bathroom" which is the best reverb I've heard when used carefully. If anyone wants to hear this chain in action, check out the last 3 songs I uploaded on my youtube channel. The overall mix may suck, but I really think I got the vocals sounding the way I want them. Here's one that uses CLA Vocals "Rock Man" as well as a hint of TrueVerb Estate Bathroom to bring out that airy yet growly component. Trust me, in real life I sound thin and weak, but Waves really gives me that extra little push over the cliff.

EDIT: This may be a better example because it's an acapella tune...

Old 20th September 2019
Gear Addict

All the waves Instruments are on sale now for 29 each or 129 for all of them. Are there any standouts?
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear

I’m particularly fond of the electric pianos.
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Head

The drive section on the CLA Mix hub is killer.
Great sound too, you either love it or not I guess
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Guru

I might grab the wavetable synth, I love those kinds of things.

Flow Motion is a fun one too
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl4311 View Post
Thanks. Good to know I can get fixes. I just updated using Waves Central about 11 days ago.

Just curious, does anyone know what's up with the multiple Waveshell VST files on Windows?

I have files named WaveShell1-VST 10.0_x64 as well as WaveShell2, 4, and 5. Both dll and vst3. I just got Voltage Modular and I'm not sure which WaveShell to use for their plugin host. They don't have a typical plugin browser. You have to select a dll or vst3 from the file system.
If it’s what I’m thinking, Waves currently uses multiple Shells presently as opposed to one universal shell for all plugins. It could possibly have something to do with 32 and 64 bit versions as well as older V9 and V10 plugins, at a guess.

Although, watch out for older, incompatible versions running side by side each other. That would cause issues, like buggy behaviour, or causing your DAW to crash. If you run into trouble just delete it all and reinstall.
Old 4th October 2019
I would add the linear phase multiband compressor. Currently like $25-ish at audiodeluxe which is crazy, really...

We can read a lot of hate against multiband compression during mastering but I have to disagree. If you know when and how to use multiband compression, this plugin is a gem. With its adaptive threshold feature and easy to learn workflow, it's still one of the better offerings regardless of its age and price. It can open up a mix wonderfully and also solve problems when needed. Ok, I would love to see per band sidechain options and a bigger/resizable GUI but still, it's great imho.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
My thoughts are a Fairchild costs $30,000. If a $29 Puigchild gets them 75% of the goods, then it's more than worth it. It gives people that don't have access to expensive gear somewhat of the experience you'd get with the real deal. It's educational.

So, my $29 SSL G comp is F-ing awesome and gets me in the ballpark and now I know what to do with it if I had a real one like an Audioscape. The same goes with everything else they make if you look at it as buying a bit of experience and knowledge.

And the clincher … you can have all the UAD plugs you want and still suck at mixing/mastering. A talented person can smoke most people even with Waves plugins, just like Hendrix on a janky Squier.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i think nobody buys a 30k fairchild only for sound. there might be some money investing ideas come with it
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
And the clincher … you can have all the UAD plugs you want and still suck at mixing/mastering. A talented person can smoke most people even with Waves plugins, just like Hendrix on a janky Squier.
No...NO!!

Stop making sense!!!

***sticks fingers in ears

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
i think nobody buys a 30k fairchild only for sound. there might be some money investing ideas come with it
Or maybe they are just massaging their own egos by having something flashy to show off to people.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.m.junior View Post
I would add the linear phase multiband compressor. Currently like $25-ish at audiodeluxe which is crazy, really...

We can read a lot of hate against multiband compression during mastering but I have to disagree. If you know when and how to use multiband compression, this plugin is a gem. With its adaptive threshold feature and easy to learn workflow, it's still one of the better offerings regardless of its age and price. It can open up a mix wonderfully and also solve problems when needed. Ok, I would love to see per band sidechain options and a bigger/resizable GUI but still, it's great imho.
Multiband compression is only bad if Yu don’t know what you’re doing with it, or are just using it for the sake of it without any real strategy. At the very least though, it can help to manage the bottom end and mids separately.

I often like to use the C6 because of the sidechain and the 2 dynamic eq, though I don’t typically use the sidechain on the stereo bus.

The F6 I’m starting to find handy for tracks that can Ben notoriously tricky to work with, like lead vocals and bass. I don’t get ahead of myself, however, I just use it like a typical eq to begin with. As the mix progresses I at least have options in place to easily implement any dynamic eq changes should it need it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I think F6 and C6 are both excellent and useful plugins. Even just as a basic "fab-filter-esque" EQ the F6 comes in handy while being inexpensive. Dynamic is almost a bonus.

Just used C6 to compress the subs below 50 hz in a heavy bass/drum track, it really helped a lot. De-essed the cymbals on top with a floating band. Added a little upward compression on the very highest end too just for a little excitement / movement. It's a great plugin. I left the mids alone (bypass.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I see we will need to buy the Waves Upgrade Plan to use our plugins with Catalina. Does the WUP ever go on sale (say on Black Friday) or is it always the same price?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Or maybe they are just massaging their own egos by having something flashy to show off to people.
Jeez you think it's like a cool car? 99.9% of the people on this planet would have no idea what a Fairchild is.......

Possibly one of the dumbest posts ever......buying gear for investment isn't a whole lot smarter unless you know how to repair it......
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I see we will need to buy the Waves Upgrade Plan to use our plugins with Catalina. Does the WUP ever go on sale (say on Black Friday) or is it always the same price?
I skimmed through this email I got today about that, couldn’t be bothered enough to care ATM.

“Leave me alone, Waves! I’m busy with other cool toys.”
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Weirdly enough, Waves Supertap is still one of the best multitap delays I've run into when I need control over the tap positions and pannings for a mono input signal. Everything else is either too limited, buggy (ReaDelay), has a gui designed for huge 3000 x 2000 resolution screens or is aimed at rhythmic trance / edm stuff.

I swear if someone gives me a decent modern VST base template, I'll go and write my own free no-nonsense multitap delay that doesn't suck like almost all the existing ones.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'd say at least 80% of Waves stuff are my gotos. Great sound, small tidy interfaces, recall 10 years down the line guaranteed, no bugs, no glitches, everything always works 100%, they never crash the system.

I try to keep everything Waves-centered and only use other plugins when I absolutely must (Fabfilter, Soundtoys stuff).

All the compressors:
CLA 2A/3A/76
API2500
Puig670
dbx160
L1/L2
Rcomp/Rvox
SmackAttack
C4/C6/Vitamin

MaxxBass/Rbass
SSL/Scheps OC
Puigtec
HDelay
J37/Kramer tape
AR Vinyl/Studio3
Renaissance everything
NLS channel
Aphex Exciter

GTR Amp
S1
VocalRider

All are awesome. There might be better equivalent plugins out there and I try them out but honestly I never find the difference big enough to warrant a switch. I know Waves stuff very well, know exactly what to expect and how to achieve the sound I want with them and that's all that I care about.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I use the Scheps Omni Channel on nearly every track. It sounds great and has nearly every basic need all in one. I've uninstalled a lot of plugins that I've picked up over the years now because when I A/B them to the Omni, the SOC wins over and over and over. That was the best 30 bucks I've ever spent!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnack View Post
I use the Scheps Omni Channel on nearly every track. It sounds great and has nearly every basic need all in one. I've uninstalled a lot of plugins that I've picked up over the years now because when I A/B them to the Omni, the SOC wins over and over and over. That was the best 30 bucks I've ever spent!
That really is a spectacular plugin. It's incredible how good every single module seems to sound in it.

If I was giving advice to a novice starting out, that for some reason was shopping for plugins, I think buying Scheps Omni Channel would really almost do it. Talk about a budget mixing setup!

You could use your DAW's stock delay, reverb, limiter, whatever. Do all your mixing across the board with Omni Channel. For $30 it would be a serious upgrade to the power of a stock DAW.

I mixed a track a while back using only omni and I was stunned at how good it sounded. It's really that good. Since then, I use it when I need a quick fix without reaching for a handful of separate plugins.

Most of the time I use a million other plugins just because I want to and I already own them. It's a life of luxury, keeps it interesting. Not, however, really necessary.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
That really is a spectacular plugin. It's incredible how good every single module seems to sound in it.

If I was giving advice to a novice starting out, that for some reason was shopping for plugins, I think buying Scheps Omni Channel would really almost do it. Talk about a budget mixing setup!

You could use your DAW's stock delay, reverb, limiter, whatever. Do all your mixing across the board with Omni Channel. For $30 it would be a serious upgrade to the power of a stock DAW.

I mixed a track a while back using only omni and I was stunned at how good it sounded. It's really that good. Since then, I use it when I need a quick fix without reaching for a handful of separate plugins.

Most of the time I use a million other plugins just because I want to and I already own them. It's a life of luxury, keeps it interesting. Not, however, really necessary.
Agreed 100%!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Tons of Waves plugins are worth buying. Too many to name. The one thing Waves hasn't done is compete with companies like Izotope's Ozone or Soundtheory's Gullfoss. They've lagged behind in AI plugins that analyze the audio and offer suggested settings. Their plugs are still very much as good as the engineer using them. I will say that for the price, their plugs can't be beat. UA's plugs are much more expensive and rely on UA DSP to run.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post

The one thing I want to read about in Wave’s next announcement..

“Scheps Omni, now with buckets!!”
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason kalman View Post
Tons of Waves plugins are worth buying. Too many to name. The one thing Waves hasn't done is compete with companies like Izotope's Ozone or Soundtheory's Gullfoss. They've lagged behind in AI plugins that analyze the audio and offer suggested settings. Their plugs are still very much as good as the engineer using them. I will say that for the price, their plugs can't be beat. UA's plugs are much more expensive and rely on UA DSP to run.
+1. Very well said.

/Magnus
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Does the WUP ever go on sale (say on Black Friday) or is it always the same price?
I haven't seen that on Black Friday, but this does occur from time to time. I got 50% off the WUP in 2018. It's important to note that if your plan is still active for some plug-ins you might need to pay extra for that as that moves them further into the future. You can also let them expire of course.
Old 6 days ago
Looking forward to the Black Friday sale - I'm going to get a smaller bundle for a few utility pieces and maybe a few color pieces as well
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search