The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any Waves plugins worth buying?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I guess I'm late to the party, but I wanted to chime in in defense of Waves. I use the Chris Lord Alge vocal compression suite on almost everything, and my secret weapon is Waves TrueVerb "Estate Bathroom" which is the best reverb I've heard when used carefully. If anyone wants to hear this chain in action, check out the last 3 songs I uploaded on my youtube channel. The overall mix may suck, but I really think I got the vocals sounding the way I want them. Here's one that uses CLA Vocals "Rock Man" as well as a hint of TrueVerb Estate Bathroom to bring out that airy yet growly component. Trust me, in real life I sound thin and weak, but Waves really gives me that extra little push over the cliff.

EDIT: This may be a better example because it's an acapella tune...

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

All the waves Instruments are on sale now for 29 each or 129 for all of them. Are there any standouts?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m particularly fond of the electric pianos.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The drive section on the CLA Mix hub is killer.
Great sound too, you either love it or not I guess
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I might grab the wavetable synth, I love those kinds of things.

Flow Motion is a fun one too
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl4311 View Post
Thanks. Good to know I can get fixes. I just updated using Waves Central about 11 days ago.

Just curious, does anyone know what's up with the multiple Waveshell VST files on Windows?

I have files named WaveShell1-VST 10.0_x64 as well as WaveShell2, 4, and 5. Both dll and vst3. I just got Voltage Modular and I'm not sure which WaveShell to use for their plugin host. They don't have a typical plugin browser. You have to select a dll or vst3 from the file system.
If it’s what I’m thinking, Waves currently uses multiple Shells presently as opposed to one universal shell for all plugins. It could possibly have something to do with 32 and 64 bit versions as well as older V9 and V10 plugins, at a guess.

Although, watch out for older, incompatible versions running side by side each other. That would cause issues, like buggy behaviour, or causing your DAW to crash. If you run into trouble just delete it all and reinstall.
Old 2 weeks ago
I would add the linear phase multiband compressor. Currently like $25-ish at audiodeluxe which is crazy, really...

We can read a lot of hate against multiband compression during mastering but I have to disagree. If you know when and how to use multiband compression, this plugin is a gem. With its adaptive threshold feature and easy to learn workflow, it's still one of the better offerings regardless of its age and price. It can open up a mix wonderfully and also solve problems when needed. Ok, I would love to see per band sidechain options and a bigger/resizable GUI but still, it's great imho.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
My thoughts are a Fairchild costs $30,000. If a $29 Puigchild gets them 75% of the goods, then it's more than worth it. It gives people that don't have access to expensive gear somewhat of the experience you'd get with the real deal. It's educational.

So, my $29 SSL G comp is F-ing awesome and gets me in the ballpark and now I know what to do with it if I had a real one like an Audioscape. The same goes with everything else they make if you look at it as buying a bit of experience and knowledge.

And the clincher … you can have all the UAD plugs you want and still suck at mixing/mastering. A talented person can smoke most people even with Waves plugins, just like Hendrix on a janky Squier.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

i think nobody buys a 30k fairchild only for sound. there might be some money investing ideas come with it
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
And the clincher … you can have all the UAD plugs you want and still suck at mixing/mastering. A talented person can smoke most people even with Waves plugins, just like Hendrix on a janky Squier.
No...NO!!

Stop making sense!!!

***sticks fingers in ears

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search